Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The weird people you meet in Group Finder.

ToMyMa
10.07.2013 , 03:13 PM | #971
Quote: Originally Posted by exilenine View Post
I just had a frustrating Sm run on Esseles. We have full group? One commando and jedi sentinel as dps with jedi guardian as tank.im playing healer with scoundrel. We start off fine ,but I can't help but notice that dps jedi is pulling ahead of tank and taking aggro. I resigned myself to healing hi often because this the first flashpoint. On the way to fight the mandalorian Ironfist, the tank call out the jedi about pulling ahead and the jedi gets al defensive about stating he can handle it. Things gets heated between them and I chime in stating that the tank is fighting a losing battle and he i can handles the heals. Things settle down for bit but after defeating Ironfist, the tank chimes that he challanges the jedi to a bet. If he can survive the rest of the way as tank without dying and bo healingby me ,he will apologize. If he dies, he gets to tank. It accepted and and the jedi survives thru end with out my direct healing but i was keeping the other ones alive.after it over, the writes that he won't apologize and that even though the jedi survived the flashpoint, he won't survive against him. A duel is started between them with the jedi winning and the tank spewing excuses and names like noob ECt. Needless to say at the final scene the commando had enough and told him to ****
But he wouldn't. Last he said was I hope to never have to run with you noob again, you sux. Except the healer,he did a good Job. Suffice to say he is on my ignore list.
Really? It was STORYMODE! Jeez, take a chill pill.
Elite Warlord Tanvir
Techfreak
Return of Yavin
Tomb of Freedon Nadd

Fiamma_Verde
10.07.2013 , 04:43 PM | #972
Oh wow. Yeah if a "Tank" is a diva like that at level 10/11 I can only imagine what they'd be like at later levels... the sent and him probably have nearly identical defensives at that point anyhow. :P

Synavix
10.07.2013 , 10:09 PM | #973
Tank *way* overreacted, but I can understand his frustration at the start. Even though SM Esseles and SM Czerka flashpoints don't really require any roles (and most pulls could be solo'd even without a companion), I personally feel like it's still polite to let people try to fill their roles if they express an interest in it. Half of tanking is learning the mindset and flow of a run, not *just* about abilities or cooldowns. People may be running them for practice. If I get into an SM with someone who is trying to tank (whether or not they're succeeding) I don't mind waiting half a second to let them pull ahead of me. If they're exceptionally slow or don't seem like they care, then I'll jump ahead as long as the rest of the group seems to be on board. No reason to go out of your way to make a tank's life miserable unless you have to. Still, from the other side of things, no reason to get so upset if you have an obviously dense DPS either.

Never_Hesitate
10.08.2013 , 01:57 AM | #974
Quote: Originally Posted by Synavix View Post
Tank *way* overreacted, but I can understand his frustration at the start. Even though SM Esseles and SM Czerka flashpoints don't really require any roles (and most pulls could be solo'd even without a companion), I personally feel like it's still polite to let people try to fill their roles if they express an interest in it. Half of tanking is learning the mindset and flow of a run, not *just* about abilities or cooldowns. People may be running them for practice. If I get into an SM with someone who is trying to tank (whether or not they're succeeding) I don't mind waiting half a second to let them pull ahead of me. If they're exceptionally slow or don't seem like they care, then I'll jump ahead as long as the rest of the group seems to be on board. No reason to go out of your way to make a tank's life miserable unless you have to. Still, from the other side of things, no reason to get so upset if you have an obviously dense DPS either.
Most "tanks" in Esseles/BT aren't even tanks yet as they lack the tanking-stance/cell/... which you get with level 14.
So I don't see any reason to take them serious when they rant about not letting them tank (HS and above is a whole other story)
T3-M4 - Lvl 55 Chars:
T'hana Jugg, Saleona Sniper, S'inthoras Mara,Hannahla Merc, Eleondra&Eleondraa Ops,
Leeonira Sorc, CaphalÝr Sorc, Kindarya Assa, LeoniŽ PT,
Revuna Mando, Leojuna Scoundrel, Simon'e Shadow, Sileona Guardian

Ancaglon
10.08.2013 , 10:15 AM | #975
Quote: Originally Posted by AlrikFassbauer View Post
In fact, trhere are 2 thought-schools regarding fighting :

- Strongest first, then weakest
- Weakest first, then strongest

Both schools are fully incompatible with one another, and if members of both meet here in these forums, there's usually a "clash of cultures" soon going on.
Well, since the "first school" is provably wrong (when you kill the strongest first, which usually does not do significantly more DPS than the weaker ones, the total damage taken is much more than doing it the other way round), it becomes a question of the "sensible way" vs. the "stupid way".

Ancaglon
10.08.2013 , 10:22 AM | #976
Quote: Originally Posted by Kingsbount View Post
Yeah. You have a point. Taris can't be a good shipyard.
But it can be a good training ground for special forces (die or become a man of steel).
Also, Taris can provide tactical advantage in case of fullscale war actions.
Exellent forward base, to attack home planet of Empire.
Again, makes no sense, there is no support infrastructure so why exactly would such a fleet even stop by Taris? (And, the Republic doesn't go in for such Nietzschean training methods even for Special Forces, that's much more the Empire's style of things -- a soldier that may not be "the best of the best" can still be of service other than as compost).

ELRunninW
10.08.2013 , 12:26 PM | #977
Quote: Originally Posted by AlrikFassbauer View Post
In fact, trhere are 2 thought-schools regarding fighting :

- Strongest first, then weakest
- Weakest first, then strongest
I have never heard about 'two schools of fighting' I would suggest you are mistaking tanking versus dps. It makes sense to have tank make sure that the strong target is focused on them, while dps kill the weak targets. Perhaps you need to look at this from healers point of view. What would you like to happen if it was you who had to heal the group through an encounter.

Jeweledleah
10.08.2013 , 12:44 PM | #978
Quote: Originally Posted by ELRunninW View Post
I have never heard about 'two schools of fighting' I would suggest you are mistaking tanking versus dps. It makes sense to have tank make sure that the strong target is focused on them, while dps kill the weak targets. Perhaps you need to look at this from healers point of view. What would you like to happen if it was you who had to heal the group through an encounter.
I don't know about 2 schools of thought in SWTOR (because weak to strong is the only right way, considering TOR's mechanics), but strong to weak was the killing order in WoW because in WoW at least, back when I was still playing - strong mobs hit significantly harder than weak ones. and then the game changed to AoE fest and it became less important what you killed first, since you just spammed your AoE abilities on a tight group of mobs on every trash pull.

chuixupu
10.08.2013 , 01:19 PM | #979
Speaking of kill order, reminds me of a funny story.

A couple of my guildies were running a 55 HM several months ago, one tanking and the other healing, and they ended up with two dps from a very well known hard-core progression raiding guild. At some point in the instance, they had wiped a couple of times on trash pull because the dps kept attacking the elite first, leaving all the strongs and weak mobs to turn on the healer. The tank asked the two dps to kill the weak mobs first. Their response: "hey man, look at the guild tag before telling us what to do".

We still like to use that line every now and then as a joke, funny stuff.
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

WooliestWorm
10.08.2013 , 02:33 PM | #980
Quote: Originally Posted by chuixupu View Post
Speaking of kill order, reminds me of a funny story.

A couple of my guildies were running a 55 HM several months ago, one tanking and the other healing, and they ended up with two dps from a very well known hard-core progression raiding guild. At some point in the instance, they had wiped a couple of times on trash pull because the dps kept attacking the elite first, leaving all the strongs and weak mobs to turn on the healer. The tank asked the two dps to kill the weak mobs first. Their response: "hey man, look at the guild tag before telling us what to do".

We still like to use that line every now and then as a joke, funny stuff.
True the dps were doing it wrong but you have to wonder what the tank was doing as well, they should at least be building enough aggro on the whole pack to prevent the healer pulling.