Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

What? Why?

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Hyfy
10.07.2013 , 02:09 PM | #171
Quote: Originally Posted by Hazed View Post
Some of the others in this thread have been disrespectful though.

Few people understand the sacrifices entire families make when we send a generation to War.

Freedom never was, nor will it ever be free
No argument about the others, but I see a lot of people jumping on the OP when at this point I think that points been made and understood.
US. ARMY Military Police Corps

Sarcasm, a body's natural defense against stupid

ImpactHound
10.07.2013 , 02:09 PM | #172
Quote: Originally Posted by Kestralio View Post
OP obviously got what he wanted out of this and his belly is full.
Military does always bite on the simplest bait.

We shouldn't have stopped doing ticker-tape parades after world war2, the way veterans were treated since the korean war was starkly worse and the way it was satirized on M*A*S*H just brought the entire veteran culture downhill from there.

Hyfy
10.07.2013 , 02:13 PM | #173
Quote: Originally Posted by CosmicKat View Post
The last time "a generation" was sent to war was in 1939-1945.

If you want to stop wars, institute the draft. Make everyone sacrifice instead of the 1-5% who bear the whole cost now.
It's been 12 years now, over twice as long as WW2. I would say that would be enough to classify it "sending a generation to war".

Hyfy
10.07.2013 , 02:17 PM | #174
Quote: Originally Posted by Elhanan View Post
Just a guess, but some that had kin that served in Vietnam, Iraq, and Afghanistan might disagree, as well as those that take a different view of history.

And personally, I rather support the idea of a volunteer force; much prefer the notion that those that serve chose to be there. Then again, I do think a 2 yr intro to life might aid a lot of people which could include Military service, work in the service industry, maintain an average GPA in college after HS, etc.
See that's where I have my moral dilemma too. The fact that it is an all volunteer military speaks volumes, but after spending time in countries where they institute a mandatory 2 year push after you finish school, and how it has worked for them and their culture it makes me wonder if it might not be the best move.

ImpactHound
10.07.2013 , 02:20 PM | #175
Quote: Originally Posted by Hyfy View Post
See that's where I have my moral dilemma too. The fact that it is an all volunteer military speaks volumes, but after spending time in countries where they institute a mandatory 2 year push after you finish school, and how it has worked for them and their culture it makes me wonder if it might not be the best move.
It's one of the more constructive debates people can have about a military topic, I like when it comes up. There's strong arguments for both sides.

Hyfy
10.07.2013 , 02:26 PM | #176
While those in the Military do work for it's citizens, it is doubtful that they take advice from one specific individual. If by some chance there are AD's playing SWTOR, I can all but guarantee that this is used while on downtime; not from some guard on patrol.

Most servicemen that appear to play here are prior enrollees like myself. And for those on AD, keep your sense of humor; makes things so much more bearable.
And that's assuming they are even deployed right now. As you know but others may not, when you are back stateside and not doing training for an upcoming deployment, it really is akin to a 9-5 job. You might have 24hr duty or something may end up keeping you there afterwards but in general when you get released for the day your down time is yours to do with whatever you want. If you're a single person and you want to go grab dinner and a beer with friends you can do that, or you want to do some laundry and play video games you can do that. Or maybe you're married and have kids then you'd probably go home and be mom or dad for awhile. Clean house some or do laundry while helping Johnny with his homework or whatever. It's a bit different if you are deployed or in training. Anyways like you said though the game could be their way of destressing and winding down and relaxing. Those men and women are only human and do need to relieve stress just like anyone else.

Hyfy
10.07.2013 , 02:29 PM | #177
There is a reason I dislike stats; made to dance without context. Look at the area of conflict in these examples, and one can easily see a factor in the difference of numbers. And while Vietnam may have been smaller in conflict, the cost is always higher than the number of those that served (eg; families, country, monetary, political, etc).

Plus current leaders do have loved ones in service; also volunteers, I believe.
Not to mention some are in the service themselves, or were while still in office. Mark Kirk from Illinois before his stroke or aneurysm which ever it was, was in the Navy as a Navy Intelligence officer while in office.

CosmicKat
10.07.2013 , 02:31 PM | #178
Quote: Originally Posted by ImpactHound View Post
Military does always bite on the simplest bait.

We shouldn't have stopped doing ticker-tape parades after world war2, the way veterans were treated since the korean war was starkly worse and the way it was satirized on M*A*S*H just brought the entire veteran culture downhill from there.
Blame "the news".

They'll spend days covering a Michael Jackson trial while they blindly accept blanket censorship and sanitizing of wars.

Vodamin
10.07.2013 , 02:38 PM | #179
I feel like this thread belongs to the Offtopic forum.
PvP is cancer.

Hyfy
10.07.2013 , 02:40 PM | #180
Quote: Originally Posted by ImpactHound View Post
It's one of the more constructive debates people can have about a military topic, I like when it comes up. There's strong arguments for both sides.
I agree, and like I said I can see both sides of that argument.