Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The weird people you meet in Group Finder.

Kingsbount
10.01.2013 , 11:16 PM | #961
Yeah. You have a point. Taris can't be a good shipyard.
But it can be a good training ground for special forces (die or become a man of steel).
Also, Taris can provide tactical advantage in case of fullscale war actions.
Exellent forward base, to attack home planet of Empire.

Lord_of_Mu
10.03.2013 , 09:04 PM | #962
I've been leveling my commando healer and having a blast dealing with the "exceptional" people I meet along the way.

A few things to note, some of the fresh tanks filling the ranks, are worse than a tanking companion. Ultra tunnel vision, guarding healers left and right and can't interrupt for the life of them.

Story 1: Battle for Ilum round 3.

So I've well and truly out leveled my class and planet stories on my Commando. I really wanted to make level 50 so I started running flashpoints to get some exp. My second time through battle for ilum I had a pretty bad tank with horrible threat generation and tunnel vision. I queued up again and got the same tank and flashpoint.

Upon zoning in the tank d/ced. I'm guessing he/she bailed. After a few minutes of waiting I suggested we kick the tank, queue up and start up with my Treek as tank. Despite having less than optimal gear, my Treek tanked the flashpoint with fewer problems than many of the tanks I've had to heal while leveling up.

Hardmode False Emperor.

So I pooled my resources and upgraded my gear to a standard that is ready for heroic 50 flashpoints. I get a group with a 55 Commando dps, a 50 Scoundrel, a 55 Guardian and myself at 50. The scoundrel has 13.7k hp and almost dies every time something looks at him, the commando dps pulls mobs left and right and the tank has trouble tanking some of the pulls.

I was lucky to have a group that provided a few special moments. The first moment was on the twin droids. Both dps and the tank ran far away from the blue circle and take several stacks of the damage increasing debuff.

Then on Malgus, they let Malgus cast his "I win" ability. I pointed out that everyone has an interrupt and they failed to do so. The tank replies that his interrupt was on cooldown.

I can only wonder what he was interrupting prior.

Bstr
10.04.2013 , 11:33 AM | #963
I don't know what it is with my Merc, but I've been getting bad group with him. And I am not talented enough to pull the group on my own with him.

Did HM Kaon Siege last night:
Jump in and tank asks to respec. DPS Sin is in tank stance. After tank respecs, he says he is OK and immediately pulls the first mob with Rage's stance. I mention that he hasn't guarded anybody and should change stances. Not a good beginning. He does change stances and guards me and switches to the Sorc DPS a few pulls later after I mentioned that the Sorc was pulling aggro hard. DPS Sin also changes stance, but does not respec because he does not have the droid.

Tank continues to chain pull and I'm having trouble with keeping the Sorc and myself healed (who are still putting out more aggro than the tank) while maintaining my heat. I'm also find myself explaining all the different Raks in this FP, but nobody but the Sorc listens and we wipe a few times due to the Bloated (exploding) and Mercenary (stunning) Raks.

We close to the turret "boss" and the tank runs ahead and jumps on the turret with us far behind. We survive about half of the encounter and wipe. Second time we get through with the Sin taking the turret.

Things start to turn around somewhat and the Sin DCs. We go through the trash mobs and I ask the tank to wait at the Behemoth boss. He doesn't and ignores my instructions and the boss enrages and we all die.

We kick the Sin and get a Shieldtech Powertech as the DPS. Tank pulls even before the Powertech loads. Tank takes the boss to one barrel and try to keep the boss there. Powertech DCs after one attack. We get a little bit farther this time, because the boss glitches and throws the Jugg Tank across the area instead of just a little bit away and the Sorc and I switch tanking for the rest of the fight until the enrage again. (Behemoth's toss is an aggro loss move.)

I suggest we wait for the Powertech to connect. Nope: tank pulls anyways. We wipe after enrage, but the Jugg realizes this time that he has to take the boss to multiple barrels. Jugg then complains how hard this fight is. Sorc and I tell him its because he did not follow the mechanics the last 3 times and we only had 1 DPS the whole time. Jugg kicks the Powertech and pulls the boss again. This time, we are able to finish the boss off even though Sorc and I died and he enraged.

We ask the Tank to requeue us multiple times. He does not and we kick him finally. He faceplants on the way out, but the Sorc and I are able to kill the mob. We requeue for tank and DPS and use our Melee Tank/DPS companions to get through part of the next room.

We get a tank and DPS and guess who the Tank is: the Powertech that DCed. I say that I'm thankful that he joined. He replies that he is ticked that we kicked him. I stated that it was over 5 minutes, he was a tank in a DPS spot, and that the tank kicked him. He is still ticked and pulls the next mob without me there. I rush there, but the Sorc dies. The new Marauder DPS keeps getting knocked back by the Screamers and pulls every single mob in the room. We survive with me tanking half the group and the tank and DPS getting the other. (So happy at this point to have 2 points in Custom Enviro Suit and Protective Field.) Guess whose fault that all was: mine.

Bonus boss: tank uses Hydraulic Overrides and runs to the boss and engages and turns the boss around. I mention quickly to kill the adds fast. The Marauder decides to stand in front of the boss so that the conal attack can hit him and I have to constantly heal him. When the adds come, all except one attacks me: the Sorc has that one and DPS them down one at a time like it supposed to be. I'm using Defensive Cooldowns just to stay alive. Marauder dies: Tank yells in chat that I should heal the Marauder and not let him die. Sorc kills adds. Second round of adds come and same thing happens: I have all the adds except 1. This time I run by the tank and shrug some off on him. We kill the boss.

Last boss was fairly uneventful compared to the rest: Tank and Marauder ignore kill order and attack commander first. Sorc DPS both of the two big Raks first and helps the other guys kill off the commander.

I gave the Sorc the speeder afterwards for putting up with all of that.
Bobuster: Sab. Guns. Robcase: Seer Sage Jr An'val: Def. Guard. ShepardCmd: S.S. Vang.
Bosat'ta: Bodyguard Merc. Bophia: Anni. Maurader Borbend: Med. Op.
<Republic's Hammer> <Reformation> Jung-Ma Server

Delta_V
10.05.2013 , 05:33 PM | #964
Quote: Originally Posted by Bstr View Post
*snip*
Lately, it seems like there have been more tanks who just have no idea how to tanks mobs. They'll just attack a single target and leave all the rest to go after the rest of the group (namely the healer). The tank doesn't need to grab *all* of the weaker enemies because the dps should kill them in short order, but you can't let multiple strongs and elites go after the healer.

I had an HM Cademimu run on my Sentinel the other week where the tank (who was in ~50% dps gear) never attacked more than one target at a time. The healer was geared well enough to keep him alive despite his lack of tanking gear, but had a much harder time keeping himself alive when all but one of the mobs went straight for him. I ended up spamming Twin Saber Throw and Force Sweep to try to get the mobs off the healer in every pull. I basically ended up tanking 90% of the mobs in the instance while the tank and other dps just went through their (seemingly random) target priorities. Fortunately, between the healer's gear and my defensive abilities (would not have wanted to try that on, say, a sage or operative), I was able to survive playing the "sentinel tank".

And here everyone complains about how sentinels are convinced they are actually tanks.

Lord_of_Mu
10.05.2013 , 10:14 PM | #965
Quote: Originally Posted by Delta_V View Post
Lately, it seems like there have been more tanks who just have no idea how to tanks mobs. They'll just attack a single target and leave all the rest to go after the rest of the group (namely the healer). The tank doesn't need to grab *all* of the weaker enemies because the dps should kill them in short order, but you can't let multiple strongs and elites go after the healer.

I had an HM Cademimu run on my Sentinel the other week where the tank (who was in ~50% dps gear) never attacked more than one target at a time. The healer was geared well enough to keep him alive despite his lack of tanking gear, but had a much harder time keeping himself alive when all but one of the mobs went straight for him. I ended up spamming Twin Saber Throw and Force Sweep to try to get the mobs off the healer in every pull. I basically ended up tanking 90% of the mobs in the instance while the tank and other dps just went through their (seemingly random) target priorities. Fortunately, between the healer's gear and my defensive abilities (would not have wanted to try that on, say, a sage or operative), I was able to survive playing the "sentinel tank".

And here everyone complains about how sentinels are convinced they are actually tanks.
Charging into battle a head of the tank isn't quite the same as protecting the healer from the tank's incompetence. I should know, I frequently protect healers from bad tanks. CC, Aoe / aoe stuns. Anything that keeps the healer alive works for me.

verfallen
10.06.2013 , 02:24 AM | #966
*Lots of failure*

Last boss was fairly uneventful compared to the rest: Tank and Marauder ignore kill order and attack commander first. Sorc DPS both of the two big Raks first and helps the other guys kill off the commander.

While I know some people learned to kill the small one first, I can tell you when tanking this its rather nice to kill the commander first since he makes taunting useless.

Once that done, even if an heavy pin happens it will be on the tank, to which the healer can easily keep him alive with moderate output, while dps continue bursting down the big guy.

In the end both way work, and its not an especially hard fight.

verfallen
10.06.2013 , 02:31 AM | #967
Quote: Originally Posted by Delta_V View Post

On the exact same flash point, had that same issue. however I lacked an awesome mara/sent with cooldown, since I was on my lightning sorc on that run, and it was among my first runs of HM 55 upon coming back to the game. My gear was still mostly 61/63s.

So I pretty much figured better be me who dies than the healer, and force stormed the mobs that went for the healer all fp.

Healer was decent tough, and he quickly figured the tank was useless after ignoring our tips and telling me "I was pulling too much aggro with my aoes".

Well geez genius, obviously someone has to keep the healer safe.

So roughly was LoSing (healing to full doesnt work BW) popping force barrier when I was about to die, healer took some heat, when he was under 50%, I was taking the barrier back down and we ping ponged the aggro between ourselves.

Interesting "how to survive when BW doesn't want you to" FP.

AlrikFassbauer
10.06.2013 , 04:13 AM | #968
Quote: Originally Posted by Euphrosyne View Post
This wasn't a flashpoint or anything, but it was group content, so I figured it qualified. Apologies in advance for the wall of text, but hopefully you can get a few laughs out of it - and a few "what the hell happened there" headshakes, too.
Great tale !

In short - I once had a similar group on Nar Shadaa ... With one undergeared Jedi running into mobs he claimed to not have seen ... (Later, someone siuggested in the forums that he might have had the option "show enemy NPCs names" off ...)

Quote: Originally Posted by Alanbra View Post
and the assassin tank single target dpsing from strongest to weakest.
In fact, trhere are 2 thought-schools regarding fighting :

- Strongest first, then weakest
- Weakest first, then strongest

Both schools are fully incompatible with one another, and if members of both meet here in these forums, there's usually a "clash of cultures" soon going on.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

fire-breath
10.06.2013 , 09:16 AM | #969
Quote: Originally Posted by verfallen View Post
On the exact same flash point, had that same issue.

So roughly was LoSing (healing to full doesnt work BW) popping force barrier when I was about to die, healer took some heat, when he was under 50%, I was taking the barrier back down and we ping ponged the aggro between ourselves.

Interesting "how to survive when BW doesn't want you to" FP.
Gehe, I know exactly what you mean, had quite some red reaper fps myself on my slinger where I ended up tanking.

But correct me if I'm wrong, in PvE the barrier works as an instant aggrodump. Meaning, pop it and all mobs go for someone else. Release the barrier and they are still going for others. I never tried it out as sage dps since as a healer the mobs will glue on you again because of the healingaggro.

I gave the Sorc the speeder afterwards for putting up with all of that.
Nice and weird story
However dont judge to fast on the killorder thingy. They only ignored the killorder which you are used at. The tank needs to hold aggro on the commander in all possible killorders, after that you can decide to burn the commander so that the 2 others become tankable or burn the beasty who pins you.
Progression raiding toons on the big RED
Macewindy - Sab Slinger Srh - Shadow Tank
TRE PvP toon
Ishmaldo - Sage healer

exilenine
10.07.2013 , 02:51 PM | #970
I just had a frustrating Sm run on Esseles. We have full group? One commando and jedi sentinel as dps with jedi guardian as tank.im playing healer with scoundrel. We start off fine ,but I can't help but notice that dps jedi is pulling ahead of tank and taking aggro. I resigned myself to healing hi often because this the first flashpoint. On the way to fight the mandalorian Ironfist, the tank call out the jedi about pulling ahead and the jedi gets al defensive about stating he can handle it. Things gets heated between them and I chime in stating that the tank is fighting a losing battle and he i can handles the heals. Things settle down for bit but after defeating Ironfist, the tank chimes that he challanges the jedi to a bet. If he can survive the rest of the way as tank without dying and bo healingby me ,he will apologize. If he dies, he gets to tank. It accepted and and the jedi survives thru end with out my direct healing but i was keeping the other ones alive.after it over, the writes that he won't apologize and that even though the jedi survived the flashpoint, he won't survive against him. A duel is started between them with the jedi winning and the tank spewing excuses and names like noob ECt. Needless to say at the final scene the commando had enough and told him to ****
But he wouldn't. Last he said was I hope to never have to run with you noob again, you sux. Except the healer,he did a good Job. Suffice to say he is on my ignore list.