Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Introducing Parsec - a new raid aware real time combat log parser

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Flashpoints, Operations, and Heroic Missions
Introducing Parsec - a new raid aware real time combat log parser

Docmal
09.28.2013 , 10:59 AM | #111
Quote: Originally Posted by Felkroth View Post
Parsec has been fine. So I have nothing but good reviews thus far, but let me relate a funny experience that happened to us last night.

We were 20ish percent remaining on Styrak NiM (5ish percent before he revives the Kell Dragon)

Sooo, we're all clumped on the big ghost manifestations, walls closing in on us...gunslingers primed to utilize their Pulse Detonators to KB them back.

What happens? One of the Gunslingers misses, and the other one doesn't hit his BECAUSE Parsec opened some sort of message pop up. WIPE!

It was sad. 13 minutes into a 15 minute fight only to have Parsec open some popup window and mess up a key mechanic on an encounter.

It was lol.
That sucks. Parsec was designed to not steal focus with its pop ups so if it was a parsec pop it was a bug and i would appreciateit if you have the slinger submit a bug report.
Don't be a nub, use Parsec
<Redemption> @ The Shadowlands
Drewbacca - Guardian Tank Handrew - Shadow Tank
& 12 more...

DaftVaduhhh
09.28.2013 , 08:54 PM | #112
Does Parsec feature a shared combat log? What are the technical challenges in creating such a feature?

Purely the additional network traffic or would the amount of parsing on each individual system be problematic?
Daftvaduhh - 55 Shadow - GM of <Beyond Redemption> (The Harbinger)
La-femme - 55 Sage, Woklobster - 55 Guardian, Opfreely - 55 Sentinel
Drworm - 55 Commando, Rollface - 55 Vanguard, Leeloo'd - 55 Scoundrel, Rolling-deep - 55 Gunslinger

Docmal
09.29.2013 , 01:29 PM | #113
Quote: Originally Posted by DaftVaduhhh View Post
Does Parsec feature a shared combat log? What are the technical challenges in creating such a feature?

Purely the additional network traffic or would the amount of parsing on each individual system be problematic?
Parsec is currently architected as client-server software. A shared combat log system architected this way would use a tremendous amount of server bandwidth. This is something that is not feasible from a cost standpoint.

Switching to a peer to peer architecture would make the bandwidth issue go away but adds a layer of complexity to the software.

My plan for the future is to create a hybrid system that allows a user to view other members logs via a peer to peer connection, but still keep the client server architecture for raid data. However this will most likely initially be a simple viewer though it may grow more robust.

There are certainly more challenges that make this difficult such as the variance in system clocks and latencies or the differences in peer network security.
& 12 more...

DaftVaduhhh
09.29.2013 , 06:19 PM | #114
I figured as much. BW really should throw the other info into the log system given the client is already processing the info.

Great software man. While it might not have that many additional bells and whistles as a total package with its comparable system footprint (and less taxing UI), Parsec blows TorParse & MoX out of the water IMO.
Drworm - 55 Commando, Rollface - 55 Vanguard, Leeloo'd - 55 Scoundrel, Rolling-deep - 55 Gunslinger

Docmal
09.30.2013 , 05:03 PM | #115
Quote: Originally Posted by Blazkowicz View Post
At least for me "Combat Log" only works when I let the parser connect to the mentioned IP.
For me it looks like a mac skin and not so fond of it.
I researched this and you are right that it does hit that IP. Here are the details:

When viewing the "Combat Log" PARSEC uses a web browser component. This component loads a common (and awesome) JavaScript library called JQuery. It loads this via a CDN that lives (for the time being) at that IP address. You can find out more about JQuery here.

Hope that helps.
& 12 more...

Blazkowicz
09.30.2013 , 05:30 PM | #116
Quote: Originally Posted by Docmal View Post
I researched this and you are right that it does hit that IP. Here are the details:

When viewing the "Combat Log" PARSEC uses a web browser component. This component loads a common (and awesome) JavaScript library called JQuery. It loads this via a CDN that lives (for the time being) at that IP address. You can find out more about JQuery here.
Still it should only get online either for an update of the program or when I sync to raid, rest is unacceptable.
If all imperial moffs are like you, it's a wonder you can get your armor on in the morning, much less conquer an empire.

Qvasar
09.30.2013 , 05:35 PM | #117
Still it should only get online either for an update of the program or when I sync to raid, rest is unacceptable.
Unacceptable? Seriously? No one is forcing you to use Parsec.

You need to keep in mind that this is a free software, provided as-is. If you find something unacceptable don't use it or grab the source code and edit it as you please (under the terms of the GPLv2 license).

You are complaining about something pretty much every decent website in the world uses, including swtor.com.

Docmal
09.30.2013 , 07:52 PM | #118
I am so eager to please you...

Anyway, in the next release if the browser fails to load for any reason (like blocking it with a firewall) It will no longer crash the app. Instead the app will work but the Human Readable Combat Log portion will not be functional and it will display a static error page.
& 12 more...

DaftVaduhhh
09.30.2013 , 08:01 PM | #119
If I could make another (hopefully more feasible) suggestion:

TorParse is able to detect and maintain a fight parse after a combat res while MoX cannot; is this a functionality that can be added into Parsec?

Docmal
09.30.2013 , 08:17 PM | #120
Quote: Originally Posted by DaftVaduhhh View Post
If I could make another (hopefully more feasible) suggestion:

TorParse is able to detect and maintain a fight parse after a combat res while MoX cannot; is this a functionality that can be added into Parsec?
Do you mean maintain the fight for the resurrectee or the resurector?

The current logic should maintain the fight for the resurector as long as they re-enter combat within the 15 second window after they stealth out.

As for the resurectee... well that is a different story. It is difficult to tell the difference between a
fight, death, rez, resume fight
and
fight, death, rez, new fight

I'm not saying it isn't possible because I know it is, however, it is not a straightforward piece of logic. Would you expect that the time you spent dead will count toward your statistics?
& 12 more...