Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Downloading for 4+ hours, really?!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service (Read-Only)
Downloading for 4+ hours, really?!

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

SethPurdy
09.24.2013 , 10:17 PM | #71
Wow, this has been one colossal cluster. Add me to the list of those very frustrated an inconvenienced by this. My game installation is old, so it thankfully doesn't use BitRaider (I was a pre-order purchaser, and have been a subscriber ever since.) However, the three friends I'd scheduled to play with tonight all have recent installs. They had all logged in yesterday, hoping to ensure the game was all patched up and ready to go for our 7pm PST start time today, and everything seemed good.

Skip to tonight: my 9/24 patch went smoothly and quick, but after an hour in Steam chat we gave up as none of the others could actually play the game. They were stuck at "Reorganizing files" for ages, then downloading and patching, the launcher restarting only to do more "reorganizing" or "verifying". I finally had them all quit out and make the launcher.settings edits to disable BitRaider and start in on the full re-download of the game content, but it was still going to take so long that our 3 hour game session was completely steamrolled.

Those in our gaming group are all in our 30s, several of us have young kids, and it takes a considerable effort to coordinate schedules for playing just a couple times a month. I'd been looking forward to this session (only our second with SWTOR) for days. Now I get to look forward some more to our rescheduled time, a week from now.

This is something that absolutely should've been caught in QA before being pushed to production. Testing this kind of change against virtual machine images of mocked up end user systems in various states of configuration should be standard practice, and isn't difficult to do, particularly today. Either BitRaider is just inherently junk (a possibility, given the reports of massive resource hogging and excessive data downloading), or the way it was implemented in this case was very badly botched. Hell, maybe both.

Get your act together, BioWare. You're embarrassing yourselves.

Casivek
09.24.2013 , 10:18 PM | #72
Quote: Originally Posted by Caldric View Post
When does Scrolls release I heard great things about Skyrim but never had a chance to play. I am tired of over hyped games though.
After XBOXONE, either late this year or Early next year.

Soulles_Void
09.24.2013 , 10:19 PM | #73
When does Scrolls release I heard great things about Skyrim but never had a chance to play. I am tired of over hyped games though.
Skyrim was ok. Good eyecandy, but easy to outlevel the main questline with sidequests (which leaves all the supposed challenges piss-easy).
Not sure about ESO's release date, but looking forward to it when it does come out.
Yes, I realise I'm missing an "s" in my name. Drinking and account creation don't go too well together.

Caldric
09.24.2013 , 10:20 PM | #74
Cool thanks for the info.

Soulles_Void
09.24.2013 , 10:23 PM | #75
Saddest part? Those of us who are IT guys, programmers, etc (in training or in production) can see the issues, can see how easy it should be to potentially deal with it (ie get rid of BitRaider, communicate with your userbase)..and yet these two huge companies (EA/Bioware) somehow can't deal with the problem...or even keep us informed, apparently
Yes, I realise I'm missing an "s" in my name. Drinking and account creation don't go too well together.

Caldric
09.24.2013 , 10:23 PM | #76
Wow 94.95% downloaded after well over 4 hours and live in Alaska so almost time to wind down for work for the next three days. Thanks for ruining the night TOR was hoping to get my commando to 30 tonight no such luck even if it finished right now think I am too tired to even play. Great CS too! You guys are awesome! /sarcasm

I at least downloaded all assets again at around 19 gigs already... Pfft Really 20 gig patch YAY

And guess what now I can play in French or German language of which I know nothing about to start with.

Casivek
09.24.2013 , 10:27 PM | #77
Wow 94.95% downloaded after well over 4 hours and live in Alaska so almost time to wind down for work for the next three days. Thanks for ruining the night TOR was hoping to get my commando to 30 tonight no such luck even if it finished right now think I am too tired to even play. Great CS too! You guys are awesome! /sarcasm
I JUST finished my download and can run the game a full business day later 8+ hours of download. I can't even play it as it is midnight and I have to get up in less then 6 hours. I am done with this POS I can make a game from scratch with no budget and still make a better game with better CS than this.

Caldric
09.24.2013 , 10:29 PM | #78
Quote: Originally Posted by Casivek View Post
I JUST finished my download and can run the game a full business day later 8+ hours of download. I can't even play it as it is midnight and I have to get up in less then 6 hours. I am done with this POS I can make a game from scratch with no budget and still make a better game with better CS than this.
Make us a good one and I will play! I bet they only have a few hundred megs of updates too! Like most modern games with major patches you most likely test your code too! HOLY HELL 2013! Weirdo!

Casivek
09.24.2013 , 10:32 PM | #79
Make us a good one and I will play! I bet they only have a few hundred megs of updates too! Like most modern games with major patches you most likely test your code too! HOLY HELL 2013! Weirdo!
LOL The first iteration of the game would be for Android devices as I am already doing what I said as a hobby anyways.

RolyartNala
09.24.2013 , 10:33 PM | #80
Quote: Originally Posted by mttrav View Post
It's really sad and makes me question why I started paying for this game. I only have a few hours a night to play and at least one day has been ruined. Time to look at other options.

I'm pretty sure this is a solid "strike one and two" for SWTOR... I will be looking very closely at Elder Scrolls Online when it releases, due to this kind of B.S. every week.
You know, this is my second go-around at SWTOR. I played at launch and for six months afterward, and was stunned to watch how rapidly the game lost a massive amount of subs, followed by a massive amount of layoffs and then a significantly reduced content update schedule. Considering all the things the game needed to be good, it was so depressing I quit. Now, a year later I decide to give it another go, and not only has there been barely any content added and fixes/enhancements implemented, but we have to deal with stuff like this. I am definitely gone--gone, BioWare--as soon as Wildstar launches.