Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Question: Do positioning penalties exist for tanking?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Question: Do positioning penalties exist for tanking?

Razzberry
09.09.2013 , 06:26 PM | #1
I've never actually seen this posted anywhere before, so I figured it was worth asking.

Do positioning penalties exist while tanking?

By that I mean, if an enemy is attacking from behind you, are there any penalties to your defensive stats that cause them to do increased damage to you?

For example, in certain other MMOs (e.g. WoW), you are unable to block or parry attacks coming from behind your character, so keeping everything in front of you is a huge priority since you take increased damage if you do not.

Does something similar exist in SWTOR? Are we still able to shield and dodge attacks coming from behind us?

Elzen
09.09.2013 , 06:35 PM | #2
I'm fairly certain there is no such thing in SWTOR. I havn't tested it directly but I also have never seen myself take more damage when turning to move a boss; additionally I have seen myself deflect things with my back turned.
Quote: Originally Posted by Grumpftard View Post
The secret to tanking is to play like a crappy DPS. Play it like that DPS in the GF that always makes you say "*** is this guy doing?"

Snarkasms
09.10.2013 , 06:56 AM | #3
Yep, as far as I know, there are no issues. You deflect and parry behind your back all the time with your lightsaber, and you can bob and weave hits from any direction on a vanguard.

Zolxtren
09.18.2013 , 01:24 AM | #4
we are in a sci-fi setting you don't need to face the enemy to defend yourself against it. (thank god for that)

Evokid
09.21.2013 , 04:45 PM | #5
I suppose this question relates to this topic, so I'll post it here. When stunned, can I still dodge, parry, block ect?

MasterCrumB
09.21.2013 , 10:00 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Evokid View Post
I suppose this question relates to this topic, so I'll post it here. When stunned, can I still dodge, parry, block ect?
when stunned you lose ALL your damage reduction, to be direct, no you cannot dodge, parry or block, er all your defensive stats like shield/defense/absorb and even armor are not usable when stunned
AOA
CE VIP
Location: CO, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Local Cluster, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy

THoK-Zeus
09.22.2013 , 03:54 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by MasterCrumB View Post
when stunned you lose ALL your damage reduction, to be direct, no you cannot dodge, parry or block, er all your defensive stats like shield/defense/absorb and even armor are not usable when stunned
I am fairly sure thats incorrect. I went through some of my Titan 6 nim logs and i parry attacks when i am stunned just normal, before i use my stunbreaker.