Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

New to MMO's and having trouble with grouping.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Flashpoints, Operations, and Heroic Missions
New to MMO's and having trouble with grouping.

RandomXChance
09.19.2013 , 01:21 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by mikebevo View Post
Any unattacked/untaunted mob is going to go after the healer. It does not matter if I have 100% present threat or .00000001% threat, if they are untaunted and unattacked by everyone else, then .00000001 is still more than 0.000000000, so reducing it means nothing. More important is for dps/tanks to know kill order and their role. Now I can use disapearing act to drop combat, but the moment I unstealth and pop a heal they are back on me.

Gold Fever a killer of Healers.

As to threat droup by dps, yes that should be part of the roation in group play, especially during/after opening.
As someone who primarily tanks, this above everything else except do not pull before the tank. Since you are doing DPS (and should stick with that until you are comfortable with the game), 97% of the time your first targets should be the weakest enemies while the tank holds aggro on the strongest and as many of weaker as possible.

If you focus on the weak enemies first and quickly switch to mobs attacking a healer, the tank and heal will love having you and you will (almost) never get kicked. Always will be a few jerks out there.

DarthChosen
09.19.2013 , 01:35 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by mikebevo View Post
4 healers here, geared to the teeth on my sawbones and I can say without a doubt I am not going to pull threat from tank or dps for my healing. I can also say, threat dump or reduction is not going to help me except in a few situations in ops that have aggro dumps. I was told to use them on NiM TWH for some reason, mine is not to question, mine is just to heal as the group says. Otherwise the my aggro dump is only good for a 1/2 amusing animation. It will not get rid of those attacking me if they have not been taunted or attacked by dps and/or tank. It is just a useless as someone guarding me for aggro reason. Any unattacked/untaunted mob is going to go after the healer. It does not matter if I have 100% present threat or .00000001% threat, if they are untaunted and unattacked by everyone else, then .00000001 is still more than 0.000000000, so reducing it means nothing. More important is for dps/tanks to know kill order and their role. Now I can use disapearing act to drop combat, but the moment I unstealth and pop a heal they are back on me.

Gold Fever a killer of Healers.

As to threat droup by dps, yes that should be part of the roation in group play, especially during/after opening.
I cannot speak on healer aggro the last Op I healed was HM EC when NiM was not even available. Aggro was never a problem. The healer threat drop was in reference to him being new to MMOs. I tried to make the information as broad (both game and class) as possible. Just in case he decides to try other MMOs. ToR doesnt even have a displayable threat meter so really it is kinda just there lol. When I tanked on my vanguard I rarely had trouble holding aggro if it was established. Nor pulling a target off of a healer and keeping it.
"Good tactics can save even the worst strategy. Bad tactics will destroy even the best strategy."-General George S. Patton, Jr.

DoctorWild
09.19.2013 , 01:40 PM | #13
Thank you everyone for your input and advice, I really appreciate it. Now I just have to get over my developed "fear of using group finder" to put it into good use. Thank you for the help everyone.

mikebevo
09.19.2013 , 02:06 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by DoctorWild View Post
Thank you everyone for your input and advice, I really appreciate it. Now I just have to get over my developed "fear of using group finder" to put it into good use. Thank you for the help everyone.
While I never have really been kicked I will admit at one time I was the worse healer ever in any MMO. First time I did HM D7 I could not get the group past the final boss. I almost not only quit grouping, I also almost quit TOR. Instead I took time to learn my abilities and learn how to heal and gear before getting into another group. The rest is history, I have been back to HM D7 many times since and have never failed at completing any HM FP I have attempted since, well expect for last night when I quit because of my lag.

If you want to get use to group content before tackling HM 55 Flastpoints, do the HM 50 Flashpoints and the SM 55 Flashpoints, even soloing the Heroic 2+ 55 CSI quest will help increase your rotation and awarness.

rawtravel
09.19.2013 , 02:30 PM | #15
Welcome DoctorWild!

I was where you are now a year ago. Brand new to MMO's and scared to death to try Group Finder. Trick is to read as many forums and blogs as possible before wading in. Dulfy.net was my favorite but that's probably because I'm a Sorcerer Healer and so is she! The advice here is excellent and the only other thing I recommend is to check out another thread in this forum titled "The Weird People You Meet in Group Finder."

Not only is it hilarious at times (e.g "afk butter".....you'll see), but it is chock full of stories about people doing the wrong thing in Flashpoints and making other people hate/ignore them! You will learn fast what NOT to do.

May The Force Be With you.

PS - If you're on Harbinger I'd love to team up and heal for ya on the Flashpoints. (T-Durden)

Bilirubin
09.19.2013 , 02:44 PM | #16
Dear OP,

What are your characters' advanced class?
Cyannin Level 55 Shadow | Rubinin Level 50 Gunslinger | Mikuri Level 55 Sentinel | Vertatin Level 47 Commando | PURgE
Scartina Level 17 Marauder
The Bastion

mikebevo
09.19.2013 , 02:50 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by rawtravel View Post
PS - If you're on Harbinger I'd love to team up and heal for ya on the Flashpoints. (T-Durden)
I am on the Harbinger too. Bremiaha is my main, but looks like you don't need a healer. I also have more than a few dps.

taxidermis
09.19.2013 , 03:46 PM | #18
Welcome to game. If your on Begeren colony, add hedra to friends list and I'll either heal or dps and teach u a few fp runs if u want. Just whisper me who u are first lol, so I don't auto decline a blind invite lol
Ashtor'aa, deception assassin, 55
Speresia, immortal juggernaut, 55
Ashterra, engineering sniper, 55
Hedriah, shield spec pt, 55
Hedr'a, arsenal merc, 55
Deadly Obsession

Hedra, gunnery commando,55, Guild leader-(The Grand Army of the Republic)
Rubix, Vanguard Hybrid, (The Grand Army of the Republic)

Begeren Colony veteran and proud! Never leaving!

DoctorWild
09.19.2013 , 05:50 PM | #19
I'm on the Shadowlands which kinda sucks because I know a few people on The Harbringer, I didn't know that at the time I started my account. But at this point I'm a Legacy level 18, so I can't really justify packing up and starting over on another server, but that's neither here nor there in this discussion. But I appreciate everyone's support.

I'm going read up on all of the website links everyone posted and hopefully I'll start getting a better understanding of the inter workings that are behind all of this. Honestly, with this being my first venture into MMO's, I'm completely amazed by the math and science behind all of this, it's pretty incredible. But after reading everyone's suggestions, it seems that my main problem has been my lack of understanding of combat roles and group chat lingo.

To mikebevo and DarthChosen in particular, thank you for taking the time to provide a thorough explanation of things. Hopefully this will help other people as well. Maybe someday I can help return the favor to somebody else.

GalaxyStrong
09.19.2013 , 06:34 PM | #20
I haven't read all the post's so this might be repetitive.

It's important to understand the TRINITY SYSTEM.

this is how the Flash Point groups are created. Their are 2 DPS, 1 Tank, 1 healer and each person has a specific role.

Tanks - They have huge amounts of Hit Points and heavy defensive armor (Defense rating, absorption, ect, ect) and have alot of defensive CD's. they grab the big guys attention while the DPS's kill the lower lvl enemies and work their way up to the big guy.

DPS- these guys KILL THINGS AND THEY KILL THEM FAST. They cause huge amounts of dmg. quickly because all their armor, weapons and CoolDowns are geared towards KILLING THINGS. While the Tank preoccupies the big guy, the DPS's kill everything from least strongest to most while the healer makes sure everybody is staying alive.

Healers- They keep you alive by healing you. It's pretty self explanatory. Tank or DPS starts losing alot of health Healer cast healing spells on the person in need. THE HEALER MUST BE KEPT ALIVE AT ALL COST (this is debatable).

It sounds like you were opting for the Tank position in Groupfinder when you are probably speced or classed for another type of role.

Thats what it sounds like at least.
RESPECT THE EMPIRE!!!
Or YOUR A DEAD-MAN