Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Choosing whether or not to do the bonus...


SuspectDown's Avatar


SuspectDown
09.18.2013 , 09:31 AM | #1
Just wondering what everyone thinks the etiquette of this is? What I mean is if you get into a group and someone does or does not want to do the bonus. Majority vote? Do you value the opinion of roles that take longer to fill (tank/heal) more?

Maybe I have run into a string of bad luck, but it seems lately when I do not feel like doing the bonus then someone always tries to force it.

shyninja's Avatar


shyninja
09.18.2013 , 09:45 AM | #2
When Im tanking and don't feel like doing bonus, Ill tell the group that i'd prefer to skip but I'll go with majority vote. So if 2-3 people want to do it. Ill take them through bonus. If only 1 person want's bonus I'll go ahead and skip.

i figure when i'm on my DPS and if need of gear exp and comms, I'd appreciate the same courtesy.

ELRunninW's Avatar


ELRunninW
09.18.2013 , 10:44 AM | #3
I do not think etiquette has anything to do with it, it is after all only a bonus. I would put the issue up for vote and see what everyone in the group thinks about it.

SuspectDown's Avatar


SuspectDown
09.18.2013 , 11:38 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by ELRunninW View Post
I do not think etiquette has anything to do with it, it is after all only a bonus. I would put the issue up for vote and see what everyone in the group thinks about it.
And if the vote is split? Does it then go in the favor of those not wanting to do the bonus?

psandak's Avatar


psandak
09.18.2013 , 11:55 AM | #5
In my opinion and experience, majority rules plain and simple. None of my 55s need the gear from the bonus boss, so I am generally ambivalent.

That being said, a group really has to make a concerted effort to not get the kills necessary for doing the bonus boss (lots of non-combat CC so trash can be avoided); Usually spending as much time avoiding as it would take to just kill the trash in the first place. So the only time you are really saving is the 3-5 minutes killing the bonus boss itself.

psandak's Avatar


psandak
09.18.2013 , 11:56 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by SuspectDown View Post
And if the vote is split? Does it then go in the favor of those not wanting to do the bonus?
/roll highest wins and decides.

SuspectDown's Avatar


SuspectDown
09.18.2013 , 01:35 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by psandak View Post
In my opinion and experience, majority rules plain and simple. None of my 55s need the gear from the bonus boss, so I am generally ambivalent.

That being said, a group really has to make a concerted effort to not get the kills necessary for doing the bonus boss (lots of non-combat CC so trash can be avoided); Usually spending as much time avoiding as it would take to just kill the trash in the first place. So the only time you are really saving is the 3-5 minutes killing the bonus boss itself.
I think it depends on the FP. MR bonus is simple, but if you have arch you can speedrun Athis without the bonus.

sithBracer's Avatar


sithBracer
09.18.2013 , 02:11 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by SuspectDown View Post
I think it depends on the FP. MR bonus is simple, but if you have arch you can speedrun Athis without the bonus.
Killing the bat creatures usually is enough to put you over the top, its fast and easy. I can solo kill them with my sorc healer/op healer.
Ma'kaela - jedi shadow in training
Mákaela - assassin in the shadows

ELRunninW's Avatar


ELRunninW
09.18.2013 , 02:28 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by psandak View Post
Usually spending as much time avoiding as it would take to just kill the trash in the first place. So the only time you are really saving is the 3-5 minutes killing the bonus boss itself.
This is not true, speed run through hammer station does not require any additional effort. If you just run through you will be about 30 kills short for bonus. This is just one example that suggests you have not verified the information you are posting.

last night I was part of a group that zipped through Battle of Ilum in a very short time. We have used some cc but we did reduce the time by significant amount. One DPS did not approve of that and quit the group but it did not have any impact on the result of the run. I would rather speed run any FP twice than do one full run within the same amount of time.

Bottom line, we can agree to disagree and each one of us will do what they seem more appropriate. It is, however not true that you do not save time by avoiding bonus content.

Synavix's Avatar


Synavix
09.18.2013 , 06:24 PM | #10
Skipping bonuses on pre-55 normals or HMs often saves quite a bit of time, but on the 4 main 55 HMs it's pretty much the same whether you skip or not, with the exception of groups with double stealth or a really practiced stealther/arch on Athiss.

I'll generally ask the group whether they want to do the bonus or not, and more often than not I'll give my vote over to whoever seems to have the strongest opinion either way. For leveling FPs, I prefer to do the bonus for XP but never complain about skipping since most groups are slow or inexperienced to begin with. For 50 HMs I usually lean towards skipping since they take so long for so little benefit, unless the whole group really wants it. For most 55 HMs I prefer to do the bonus whether I need it or not, since usually at least one person does.