Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The weird people you meet in Group Finder.

Selenial
09.14.2013 , 04:45 PM | #831
Quote: Originally Posted by Helmholtzz View Post
Everyone is posting stories about other people, I will post my own story.

SWTOR - my first MMO. I took the shadow as my class because he has a double bladed saber. Thats cool! It was story mode hammer station and I got in as a tank. I queued as both tank and dps because I had no idea what a tank was or what dps meant. I was level 16 i think. I was in force technique stance (the one for the balance tree) more damage yay!

After the first wipe on the tunneler droid, a dps asked me arent you supposed to be in tank stance? I was like.... ummm what is a tank stance? The guy was very polite and helpful. He gave me a quick explanation and we finished the FP. I finished that fp and went on the net and googled 'MMO Tank'. And now I am doing NiM raids.

I wish I could remember the guy's name. He deserves a huge thanks for taking the time to explain things to me instead of vote kicking me.
When I first hit 50 on my Sorc Healer, i'd been shying away from group content for pretty much the entire game, and my First Flash Point was actually a HM FP... I had absolutely no Idea what I was doing, but the Juggernaut tank was grossly overgeared... He did exactly what your Dps did for you, but he also explained my rotation and all the boss fights for me, tbh if they'd asked me to leave, or kicked me, i'd have stayed away from group content all together.

However, he was really nice to me, ended up recruiting me for his guild, and now I too am Running NIM ops and loving it... With that same Jugg tank <3
The Mandalorian Wars were a series of massacres that masked another war, a war of conversion. Culminating in a final atrocity that no Jedi could walk away from… save one.
Zarys Sorcerer Cathinka Scoundrel
Force In Balance - The Harbinger

AlrikFassbauer
09.15.2013 , 04:16 PM | #832
Yesterday I did Esseles with 2 (originally 3) other PUGgers. Story mode.

What I found was

- one player (a Smuggler) going instantly after the first dialog to the ferry, and writing in an disappointed way "too bad, I had hoped one could switch to the imperial side"
- 1 Jedi dropping group because of that
- same player trying to do so on the enemy ship as well
- writing in an disappointed way that "if one isn't able to switch the sides, then being evil makes no sense at all ..."
- same player wanting to leave Asara behind, which I deduced from his chat message that the light dicision wasn't his ...
- all in all 2 "imperial players" (of which 1 later said to play the role deciding differently in each case).

So, the Republic has now an republic character played by an imperial player, so to say,
or, in other words : A Smuggler who'd rather be an imperial Smuggler ...

To quote C-3PO : "Sometimes I really don't understand these humans ..."
“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Never_Hesitate
09.16.2013 , 01:49 AM | #833
Quote: Originally Posted by Noodlegotagun View Post
People like that make MMO's better. The ones who vote to kick on basis of ignorance need to be physically kicked in the junk for being toxic. Kudos to anyone who's helped someone who didn't fully understand something about a game.
to kick someone because he doesn't know something is wrong imo too, but if you try to tell him what he is doing wrong in a polite way and he just insults you or doesn't want to listen, I don't waste my time and kick the person
T3-M4 - Lvl 55 Chars:
T'hana Jugg, Saleona Sniper, S'inthoras Mara,Hannahla Merc, Eleondra&Eleondraa Ops,
Leeonira Sorc, Caphalør Sorc, Kindarya Assa, Leonië PT,
Revuna Mando, Leojuna Scoundrel, Simon'e Shadow, Sileona Guardian

Never_Hesitate
09.16.2013 , 01:52 AM | #834
Quote: Originally Posted by AlrikFassbauer View Post
So, the Republic has now an republic character played by an imperial player, so to say,
or, in other words : A Smuggler who'd rather be an imperial Smuggler ...

To quote C-3PO : "Sometimes I really don't understand these humans ..."
The smuggler is one of the borderline characters who could be easily switching sides, even between two contracts.

Spoiler on smuggler chapter 2 and 3:
Spoiler
T3-M4 - Lvl 55 Chars:
T'hana Jugg, Saleona Sniper, S'inthoras Mara,Hannahla Merc, Eleondra&Eleondraa Ops,
Leeonira Sorc, Caphalør Sorc, Kindarya Assa, Leonië PT,
Revuna Mando, Leojuna Scoundrel, Simon'e Shadow, Sileona Guardian

AbsolutGrndZero
09.16.2013 , 02:13 AM | #835
Quote: Originally Posted by SWGEvictee View Post
I have dropped groups for the dps doing this. I find it highly insulting. I'm either the tank all the way through it I'm not. I refuse to run with DPS who only let me fulfill my role when they deem it necessary. I will not be the meat shield you only pull out for the boss fights.
Yeah, I have to agree with this as a tank for about.... 8-9 years (since WoW:BC when my Blood Elf Prot Paladin became my main). Think I'm a jerk if you want, but if DPS is constantly pulling (and especially if I've asked them not to, but really I shouldn't have to) I will let them die. Then, we go in kill the stuff, and res him. Then again I say "You pull it, you tank it." A lot of times when I do this, I get tells from healers supporting me, saying they won't heal DPS that pull either.

At least SWtoR doesn't have anything like "Misdirection" that allows a DPS to pull but redirect all threat to the tank. I've had hunters pull that trick to try to force me to pull on their schedule after I've asked them to let me pull and I initiate a vote kick so fast it'll make your head spin. On the rare occasions the vote doesn't pass, I quit because even if I do get a 15 minute lockout, I'm still a tank, I get insta-queue so a 15min lockout doesn't bother me.

Hmm, now for the topic I once was with a guy who refused to do the bonus boss in Taral V "because all the gear that drops in this FP is underlevel for me" (which was true I do hate how you keep getting some flashpoints until the level after everything has gone "grey") and then proceed to "need" on gear that didn't match his spec because a companion could use it. Like.. if the gear is all crap, why are you needing on something?

Then I'll never forget the Guardian (Juggernaut) wearing full level 50 rakata Willpower mods in his heavy armor and saying it made his force powers work better. Like... he actually bought Shadow (Assassin) gear stripped the mods, and put it in his heavy armor...

EDIT: Bonus series! The above Guardian (Juggernaut) even was giving the entire group an "L2P" attitude like we were the idiots for not gearing our Jedi properly!
The Babylon Legacy
Harbinger
Racquel, Stancerry, Jennica, Porcelain

Lord_of_Mu
09.16.2013 , 04:35 AM | #836
Quote: Originally Posted by AbsolutGrndZero View Post
Yeah, I have to agree with this as a tank for about.... 8-9 years (since WoW:BC when my Blood Elf Prot Paladin became my main). Think I'm a jerk if you want, but if DPS is constantly pulling (and especially if I've asked them not to, but really I shouldn't have to) I will let them die. Then, we go in kill the stuff, and res him. Then again I say "You pull it, you tank it." A lot of times when I do this, I get tells from healers supporting me, saying they won't heal DPS that pull either.

At least SWtoR doesn't have anything like "Misdirection" that allows a DPS to pull but redirect all threat to the tank. I've had hunters pull that trick to try to force me to pull on their schedule after I've asked them to let me pull and I initiate a vote kick so fast it'll make your head spin. On the rare occasions the vote doesn't pass, I quit because even if I do get a 15 minute lockout, I'm still a tank, I get insta-queue so a 15min lockout doesn't bother me.

Hmm, now for the topic I once was with a guy who refused to do the bonus boss in Taral V "because all the gear that drops in this FP is underlevel for me" (which was true I do hate how you keep getting some flashpoints until the level after everything has gone "grey") and then proceed to "need" on gear that didn't match his spec because a companion could use it. Like.. if the gear is all crap, why are you needing on something?

Then I'll never forget the Guardian (Juggernaut) wearing full level 50 rakata Willpower mods in his heavy armor and saying it made his force powers work better. Like... he actually bought Shadow (Assassin) gear stripped the mods, and put it in his heavy armor...

EDIT: Bonus series! The above Guardian (Juggernaut) even was giving the entire group an "L2P" attitude like we were the idiots for not gearing our Jedi properly!
Ugh, I hate dps that feel the need to pull packs. I will go out of my way to protect the healer and let the dps take full damage from the pack. The healer either heals them or fails to do so and the dps takes a dirt nap.

I tend to find it's sentinels that do it the most, especially focus spec smash monkeys.

In one case I had a healer tell the dps to stop pulling mobs and let the tank pull, because he (I) was already pulling everything at a quick pace. It's all about the healer's resources. I don't care if the dps are out of energy / force, so long as the healer is full or close to 90%.

================================================== ===================================

As for a funny story. My most recent story comes from a Mando raiders I ran earlier in the week. I was tanking as per usual and by the third pull in I was being told to wait because a dps had to repair his gear. We cleared that pull then suddenly the healer has to go afk for five minutes.

I wasn't in a position to say anything about it so fair enough and I hold up. The healer then proceeded to go afk three more times during the flashpoint for periods of 5 to 10 minutes at a time. The sentinel dps didn't seem to be using his focus too much or at least always had a full focus bar. (Things were taking a while to die)

I also died from a lack of healing on a turret pull. I inspected the healer to find he was loaded with crit and alacrity enhancements. I'm not sure if sages are supposed to do that but his healing power was lackluster, any attempt to increase his force regeneration seemed to be wasted by the extra healing output he was having to do.

AbsolutGrndZero
09.16.2013 , 06:28 AM | #837
Quote: Originally Posted by Lord_of_Mu View Post

I also died from a lack of healing on a turret pull. I inspected the healer to find he was loaded with crit and alacrity enhancements. I'm not sure if sages are supposed to do that but his healing power was lackluster, any attempt to increase his force regeneration seemed to be wasted by the extra healing output he was having to do.
Um yeah... POWER and Alacrity... not Crit... Power makes your healing over all higher, crit only makes you more likely to Crit... I'm sure you can see why Power is better. Then the alacrity is good because that allows them to take less time channeling their healing. So, next time you see a sage geared like that, tel them POWER and alacrity, not crit and Alacrity.
The Babylon Legacy
Harbinger
Racquel, Stancerry, Jennica, Porcelain

Michalrajtar
09.16.2013 , 07:42 AM | #838
Had awkward situation yesterday I queued on my Vanguard on FP. I got pop as tank so I gotmy gear from cargo on fleet and (i have a habit of first taking of gear and then getting next) my character was in this state http://i42.tinypic.com/5l411v.jpg when female sage DPS wrote: http://i42.tinypic.com/iy0v1x.png :P
Tomb of Freedon Nadd lv55 characters:

<Rycerze Republiki> Naddesh, Juuley, Sci'var
<Troll Squad> Azuva

sithBracer
09.16.2013 , 09:43 AM | #839
Um yeah... POWER and Alacrity... not Crit... Power makes your healing over all higher, crit only makes you more likely to Crit... I'm sure you can see why Power is better. Then the alacrity is good because that allows them to take less time channeling their healing. So, next time you see a sage geared like that, tel them POWER and alacrity, not crit and Alacrity.
The amount of extra healing you get from more power is actually not that much (I tested it out with a relic-for 350 extra power I got around 150-180 extra healing for a dark infusion and 40-60 extra per tick on innervate).

The nasty DR for crit is around 27-28 before agent/smuggler buff (not sure if the curve includes wp as part of its calculation, if it doesn't it should be a bit higher), so for a sage who uses procs (the special ability of the crits on innervate) properly, stacking a bit of crit is actually a good thing to do, but not recommended to people that don't use them. From what it sounds like he wasn't using them properly so power would have been a better option for him, but probably would not help the situation.

And the cookie cutter is to stack power and surge, alacrity no more than 300, and crit no more than 25 (most keep it around 20-22) before buff.
Ma'kaela - jedi shadow in training
Mákaela - assassin in the shadows

SuspectDown
09.16.2013 , 10:10 AM | #840
Yeah, I have to agree with this as a tank for about.... 8-9 years (since WoW:BC when my Blood Elf Prot Paladin became my main). Think I'm a jerk if you want, but if DPS is constantly pulling (and especially if I've asked them not to, but really I shouldn't have to) I will let them die. Then, we go in kill the stuff, and res him. Then again I say "You pull it, you tank it." A lot of times when I do this, I get tells from healers supporting me, saying they won't heal DPS that pull either.!
As a healer, I'll take your side 100% of the time. DPS shouldn't pull, nor should they instantly attack a spread out mob from a group the tank hasn't fully taunted yet. It's always irritating to see a DPS pull unexpectedly then blame me for dying.