Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Boarding party final convo misogyny

wishingwell
09.14.2013 , 04:07 PM | #41
Quote: Originally Posted by Prototypemind View Post
All I can say is this: you guys have run in some weird-*** groups. I've yet to have to deal with craziness to that extent in FP runs. Gen chat is another story entirely =p
Ha! Can't argue with that.

A while back, I had a lot of free time but little to do with it, so I ran a LOT of 50 HM FPs through GF. I would say that probably 5%, if that, involved bizarre/cruel/rude comments... and most of those were from people who were bored out of their skull from having done the runs so many times. And probably not even 1% of those people were intolerable. Most of the time, my GF runs are pretty quiet. I've ignored waaaaay more people over not playing their queued role or being a jerk over a mistake than I have ignored people making strange comments about NPCs.

unicornfive
09.15.2013 , 02:32 PM | #42
Quote: Originally Posted by MollyDresden View Post
I have to say, I really wish the final boarding party convo didn't have the "someone shut this woman up" option. Every freaking time (okay, 95% of the time) when I do that flashpoint and don't win the roll, I have to hear that stupid line and watch the guys in my group LOL about woman-beating. Okay, I get it, it's a game. They're playing evil characters. They do a lot of killing and whatnot, so simply getting hit shouldn't matter. But there's a difference, and the fact that so many guys get such a kick out of watching a woman get pistol-whipped really makes me kind of sick and despair of humanity. Because here's the thing, guys: it's not funny. No, really, it's not.

I just did a HM of this for my daily. Everything was going along fine, and when one of the guys in the group responded to the first convo with the Jedi lady, where she threatens us, with "Let's gang rape her", I let it go and didn't say anything. When we got to the final convo, one of the guys said, "best part", and I knew he was talking about that line, because so many people just think it's so dang funny to watch a woman get smacked in the face. So I choose one of the other options and win the roll. So does he just let it go and move on with the convo so we can finish the dang flashpoint? No. He freaking stops the convo, says "whoa" like I just did something really disgusting, and restarts it. I point out that not everyone's misogynistic. He and his friend kick me. Kick me right out of the group for not going along with the woman-beating hilarity.

It's not enough that I have to constantly listen to and see this scene? Now I get kicked from a FP at the very end of it for not going along with it? Is Bioware trying to make this game as unfriendly an environment for women as possible? Because nothing about that is cool.
someone shut th....

Sorry, couldnt resist
i know i have bad sense of humor

ekimmak
09.15.2013 , 02:45 PM | #43
The problem is, that woman makes herself a total ***** since I first talked to her over the holocom. I'm pretty much pure lightsided, and yet I will take that option, because she gives a very self-righteous and arrogant speech.
Best way to end Smuggler Act 1 is
Spoiler

You can't make up stuff like that.

Arenatah
09.15.2013 , 07:13 PM | #44
Quote: Originally Posted by akabane_k View Post
id laugh if it was a guy too; its about the pistol whipping, not the gender

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFZG8KQJni8
If I could +1 this a millions times, I would.

Also, is OP playing the same SWTOR that I am? Because I don't see any He-Man Women Hater's Clubs around here.

All joking aside, to be fair to OP, I can understand how the actions of some anonymous dirtbags in a random FP would upset you. That being said, The Internet Is Not A Nice Place. I think that bears repeating, The Internet Is Not A Nice Place. If I got upset over every time I heard a joke about mental illness, for example, I'd be too upset and offended to get anything done. It sucks that you had to put up with it, but it's sort of an expectation in what is basically the virtual Wild West. If you need to protect yourself from all injury and stay in "safe spaces", there are plenty of them online available for you, and there are probably guilds that cater to it as well. Random FPs aren't all rainbows and sunshine, and I get way more terrible ones than good ones. Consider running with a "safe space" guild if you random at all

I think your comments about sexism or misogyny within the game itself (the cutscene in particular) are way off base, though. Like others have said, I find the violence in this game to be pretty non-discriminatory. You're not beating the captain up because she's a woman, you're beating her up because she just tried to blow up her ship in an attempt to stop your takeover. You're punishing an enemy officer for their defiance, not because of their gender. Let's remember that this also occurs in a scene where the dark side option is to execute everyone on the bridge via firing squad. How is smacking a captain around more heinous and upsetting than gunning down multiple people? I'm not trying to be facetious, I'm actually curious as to why you find pistol-whipping someone more offensive than taking the lives of multiple persons.

Quote: Originally Posted by FridgeLM View Post
If you have to type that much analysis about a couple of morons and try to assign blame to the nondiscriminatory violence in a video game cutscene, you need better things to do with your time.

Yes they are. If the captain were a man we'd hear complaints that not enough women are represented in positions of authority or presented as capable.

There's literally no way to win with social justice warriors.
HOLY HELL FRIDGE. FANCY SEEING YOU IN THIS THREAD.
8D
Retired POT5 Sorc. I failed to heal to full.

RIP IN PIECES ANSALEM. NVR5GET, NEVER5URRENDER.
Beslley - DPS sorc | Arenatah - Snoipah | Nef'arian - DPS op

Xakthul
09.15.2013 , 07:14 PM | #45
True.... I kill or knock out everybody who does that. I'm wondering now: How in the **** am I still Light 4
Lord J'mpok Mogh
His Story: Sith Happens
The Powers of Time Lost: That Different RP Idea
"Aim for the trolls! Kill the trolls!"- Gandalf, Return of the King

Arenatah
09.15.2013 , 07:35 PM | #46
Quote: Originally Posted by Xakthul View Post
True.... I kill or knock out everybody who does that. I'm wondering now: How in the **** am I still Light 4
For me, it's diplomacy 8D
My sniper might be a ruthless killer, but LOLIGHT5 THE PURE
Immersion is for babies.
Retired POT5 Sorc. I failed to heal to full.

RIP IN PIECES ANSALEM. NVR5GET, NEVER5URRENDER.
Beslley - DPS sorc | Arenatah - Snoipah | Nef'arian - DPS op

Xakthul
09.15.2013 , 08:09 PM | #47
Meanwhile, my Trooper does his "Duty to the Republic" and all that bull, and he's Dark freaking 3 at lvl 25.
Lord J'mpok Mogh
His Story: Sith Happens
The Powers of Time Lost: That Different RP Idea
"Aim for the trolls! Kill the trolls!"- Gandalf, Return of the King