Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

What reason would aliens have to be loyal to the Empire?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
What reason would aliens have to be loyal to the Empire?

Mercurial_Harpy
09.06.2013 , 09:29 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Wicked View Post
Plus, can we even trust Lord Kallig or what he says? How do we know he's telling the truth to begin with?
^^^^^^^
So very much this. Glad I'm not alone in thinking this.

Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of breaks in logic in the Inquisitor story. I heard somewhere that it underwent extensive revisions just prior to beta release, and that Chapter 3 was essentially scrapped and re-written to the mess that it is today. But given the original racial choices for the SI, and dialogue choices if you play a Twi'lek (I have both Human and Twi'lek Inq), the "cannon" SI is almost certainly an alien. To wit, Lord Kallig is almost certainly not.

There was thread after thread on the forums at launch that went to great pains to explain how Lord Kallig's family interbred with alien slaves to produce the SI. The only explanation that makes sense, and simplest, is that Kallig is lying to you when he says you are "family."

SI Story Spoilers, do not click if you haven't played through.

Spoiler

That said, it's pretty ironic that Malgus, in his defeat, got pretty much exactly what he wanted. Life in the Empire after Makeb is certainly easier for an Alien than it was before. Of course, that's mainly because the Empire is losing at the beginning of Makeb, and their primary purpose is filling their ranks rather than equal treatment under Imperial Law. In playing the IA story through as a Chiss, even as the only official alien "ally" of the Empire, you still pretty much catch relentless crap for being a Chiss.

In any case, it will be interesting to see how the new Alien initiatives play out in future expansions for the Empire.
~The Argost Legacy~

~Jedi Covenant~

Darkelefantos
09.07.2013 , 03:39 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Mercurial_Harpy View Post
the "cannon" SI is almost certainly an alien. To wit, Lord Kallig is almost certainly not.
That logic goes all downhill once you talk to Talos, who will tell you that, depending on your own race, a) Kallig was special for his time as he wasn't xenophobic, or b) Kallig was special for his time for being an alien. I think it's just a matter of the thing not being properly thought through by BW. After all, your own lekku fit under the mask aswell.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, why would a ghost even manifest with a mask?

Velnora
09.07.2013 , 05:17 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Xilizhra View Post
I ask this primarily in the context of the Sith Inquisitor story, but it's also an issue for the Agent (the Warrior seems to be part of a prestigious bloodline even if an alien, while the Bounty Hunter is just doing business). It's just most awkward for the Inquisitor, because they were specifically a slave and would seem to have little to no reason to be loyal to the Empire anyway unless it was through the heritage of the Sith purebloods, but the Empire's speciesism would seem to decay even more potential ways in which they could decide to be loyal. Maybe it's just because I'm light-sided, but I'm having a hard time getting into character as a Twi'lek inquisitor; I would start up a new Sith pureblood, but that'd entail replaying everything, something I don't really want to do.
Those who gain access to power often ignore the negatives of the system that gives them that power. If you're a slave and people start telling you you're important and have potential to rule all and you have to do is fight to survive... well, you have a choice. Eat or be eaten. And once you figure out this system is working to your advantage, then you either don't care or you strategize to change the system from within. I mean, the whole storyline is basically you bickering with other sith who technically enslaved you, so it doesn't seem like too much of a stretch. What actually makes me bored and uninterested in the story is the very fact that you are fighting personal vendettas with other sith instead of doing anything incredibly 'special'. It's like musical chairs but with blood, and frankly it's overdone.

Now, if EA/Bioware hired the 'House of Cards' writers to at least add some moderate political intrigue and strategy and forethought into the story, that would be another thing entirely. But at the moment it just seems like kids crying in a sandbox and hitting eachother over a toy. Blah.

Thraka
09.13.2013 , 07:34 PM | #14
It's easy to understand why SI would be 'loyal' to the Empire, IMO. My take on the storyline is that the SI has every intention of taking the Emperor's spot and ruling the Empire some day. Why would you want to mess up your Empire? Well, any more than necessary to wrest it from the current owner, at any rate.

Laris_Rai
09.13.2013 , 08:55 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Xilizhra View Post
Plus the minor but still irksome problem of how it makes no real sense for Kallig to be a Twi'lek, as the lekku could never fit into his mask.
Humans and Twi'leks can interbreed. There were two mixed kids on Clone Wars a few years ago. And if you really pay attention you can see some Twi'leks with human shaped ears rather than cone ones.

So odds are a Twi'lek Inquisitor just has a bit of human blood from Kallig in them.
"Buy the ticket, take the ride." - Hunter S. Thompson

Xilizhra
09.14.2013 , 04:29 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Laris_Rai View Post
Humans and Twi'leks can interbreed. There were two mixed kids on Clone Wars a few years ago. And if you really pay attention you can see some Twi'leks with human shaped ears rather than cone ones.

So odds are a Twi'lek Inquisitor just has a bit of human blood from Kallig in them.
Oddly, all male Twi'leks seem to have human ears, but the females have cones.

Xakthul
09.14.2013 , 06:43 PM | #17
I like to play Chiss, Pureblood, and Zabrak. I unlocked Twi'lek for my legacy, but I just have one BH and one Smuggler playing as Lekkies.

Also, sorry to get scientific here, but:

The Lekku and "cone ears" are dominant traits of the Twi'lek race. Therefore, nearly any humanoid baby could probably have their DNA slightly overwritten by Twi'lek versus whatever other race they are. so, you would basically have blue Zabrak with lekkus or something, Lekkued Rattataki, Lekkued Chiss, and wierd-colored humans.
Duelist Mixalot, Grand Champ Tellsa, Lord Saml, Apprentice Syynx, Captain Cirris, Skirmisher Janewei, Jedi Knight Jugger'not, Agent Ez'zio of <Wookies and Cream>, Harbinger
"Aim for the trolls! Kill the trolls!"- Gandalf