Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Boarding party final convo misogyny

IamTurian
09.14.2013 , 10:20 AM | #21
When I do the last conversation, I always have me and my friend choose the LS option just to make the other dude who wants to hit her extremely mad.

And then we proceed to laugh at him, end the convo, and kick him from the team.

It's harsh, but we just love to troll around with the trolls.

Xakthul
09.14.2013 , 11:00 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by IamTurian View Post
It's harsh, but we just love to troll around with the trolls.
That is probably the most logical thing I have heard in this forum.
Duelist Mixalot, Grand Champ Tellsa, Lord Saml, Apprentice Syynx, Captain Cirris, Skirmisher Janewei, Jedi Knight Jugger'not, Agent Ez'zio of <Wookies and Cream>, Harbinger
"Aim for the trolls! Kill the trolls!"- Gandalf

znihilist
09.14.2013 , 12:19 PM | #23
I really don't get this, you are mad at Bioware because some idiots decided to behaves like jerks ?
The flashpoint you ran 15 minutes before arriving to that convo is centered around you "killing" (not hitting or mistreating, but killing!) hoards of men and women, but head butting the captain with a rifle is the only thing you find questionable and misogynistic ? Just because of some idiot sitting behind his PC ?
If so then you are employing double standards and you should complain about every dark side choice that leads to an NPC being mistreated.

In fact, I find portrayal of women in this game to be fair. They are portrayed as senators, leaders, generals, military personnel, thieves, spies, murderers, heroes, there is no discrimination between how men and women are portrayed. The misogyny is only within you and not on the screen!
These are not the signatures you are looking for!

IamTurian
09.14.2013 , 12:25 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by znihilist View Post
I really don't get this, you are mad at Bioware because some idiots decided to behaves like jerks ?
The flashpoint you ran 15 minutes before arriving to that convo is centered around you "killing" (not hitting or mistreating, but killing!) hoards of men and women, but head butting the captain with a rifle is the only thing you find questionable and misogynistic ? Just because of some idiot sitting behind his PC ?
If so then you are employing double standards and you should complain about every dark side choice that leads to an NPC being mistreated.

In fact, I find portrayal of women in this game to be fair. They are portrayed as senators, leaders, generals, military personnel, thieves, spies, murderers, heroes, there is no discrimination between how men and women are portrayed. The misogyny is only within you and not on the screen!
I think it's more of the context at which they do the action.

Like they probably laugh and say crap like "Wish I could do that in real life LOLZ" or something stupid like that.

I've seen it happen so many times.

It might be a bit double standardish, but it's extremely annoying to see it. Usually when I see it happen, my troll mode activates, and it all goes downhill from there.

Xakthul
09.14.2013 , 12:30 PM | #25

Like they probably laugh and say crap like "Wish I could do that in real life LOLZ" or something stupid like that.

It might be a bit double standardish, but it's extremely annoying to see it. Usually when I see it happen, my troll mode activates, and it all goes downhill from there.
This.
Duelist Mixalot, Grand Champ Tellsa, Lord Saml, Apprentice Syynx, Captain Cirris, Skirmisher Janewei, Jedi Knight Jugger'not, Agent Ez'zio of <Wookies and Cream>, Harbinger
"Aim for the trolls! Kill the trolls!"- Gandalf

znihilist
09.14.2013 , 12:32 PM | #26

Yes, but what does BW has to do with it ? Should they remove all parts of the game where a woman gets hurt ? Remove all NPC that are female ? Just because some idiots decided to be offensive ?
These are not the signatures you are looking for!

Helig
09.14.2013 , 12:35 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by MollyDresden View Post
I have to say, I really wish the final boarding party convo didn't have the "someone shut this woman up" option. Every freaking time (okay, 95% of the time) when I do that flashpoint and don't win the roll, I have to hear that stupid line and watch the guys in my group LOL about woman-beating. Okay, I get it, it's a game. They're playing evil characters. They do a lot of killing and whatnot, so simply getting hit shouldn't matter. But there's a difference, and the fact that so many guys get such a kick out of watching a woman get pistol-whipped really makes me kind of sick and despair of humanity. Because here's the thing, guys: it's not funny. No, really, it's not.
For every instance of a woman being pistol-whipped in a cutscene in ToR, there are at least 10 scenes in which men get: pistol-whipped, rifle stock to the face, take brutal barehanded beatings (not just fist to the face/gut. Brutal, continuous beatings, like in the Imperial Agent storyline episode where (s)he's given the option to execute an enemy. Just pure sadism).

Double standard much? Men have always been the expendable gender throughout both, history and popular culture. You don't hear men moaning about that.

As far as kids giggling about woman-beating - who cares? They're just dumb teens/manchildren. Woman-beating is a taboo-subject in modern culture, and it's natural for immature people to challenge taboos, to approve or encourage challenging taboos. Their opinions are, in the long run, inconsequential.
"I'm not *giving* him cake, I'm *assaulting* him with cake!" - Pinkamena Diane Pie

IamTurian
09.14.2013 , 12:41 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by znihilist View Post
Yes, but what does BW has to do with it ? Should they remove all parts of the game where a woman gets hurt ? Remove all NPC that are female ? Just because some idiots decided to be offensive ?
ummm, no. I never said that. I just pointed out that the context at which they say it is extremely annoying.

IamTurian
09.14.2013 , 12:44 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Helig View Post

Double standard much? Men have always been the expendable gender throughout both, history and popular culture. You don't hear men moaning about that.

I have to disagree with this EXTREMELY heavily, because it is very, very, very, wrong.

Helig
09.14.2013 , 12:50 PM | #30
I have to disagree with this EXTREMELY heavily, because it is very, very, very, wrong.
Wrong how? There aren't any "official" statistics, but in popular culture (namely, movies, action flicks, in particular), for every female character death there's about hundred male character deaths. Usually a lot more brutal, too.

As far as history goes, wars. This vid does a good job explaining how the "disposable male" works.
"I'm not *giving* him cake, I'm *assaulting* him with cake!" - Pinkamena Diane Pie