Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Maintenance is destroying my guild!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Maintenance is destroying my guild!

DAMossimo
09.12.2013 , 05:31 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by SteveMellross View Post
I've been raiding since just after release in this game and maintenance has never been an issue because it was always on the scheduled maintenance day (Tuesday). Because of this we raided Wed/Thur/Sun. Too easy!

BUT... Over the last month there has been maintenance almost every Wednesday and a few Thursdays. Since it falls right in the middle of our peak raiding time these unscheduled patches (even if it's only 2 hours) wipe out an entire day of raiding for us. That's the issue.
This is the issue - maintenance on days other than Tuesday. All people are asking for is a little lead time so they can schedule raids around the maintenance. Not too much to ask.

Malastare
09.12.2013 , 08:25 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by alfredftw View Post
It's the tight *** nature of this entire affair that really annoys me, when something is broken in the Cartel market, they have it fixed in an hr because it affects them...
While I agree with the sentiment, perhaps a little bit of reality might be useful here:

Issues with the Cartel Market are fixed quickly (as are issues with account billing, account login, and service denial) because they are directly related to customer revenue, and errors or mishandling of customer payment or the inability to access the service is subject to legal complaint. Should anyone actually initiate a legal complaint for non-delivery of goods/services, the legal costs would immediately soak up the subscription costs of dozens of players, and they would still incur all the costs of fixing it.

As annoying as it is, your recurring subscription billing is not given the same level of protection, as it is tied to a Service Level Agreement which states that outages will occur and there is no guarantee of availability for any particular amount of time.

So, in the end, the result is that they (or any service, really) would rather lose you and a few dozen other customers than have to settle a single lawsuit. Someone purchasing something with Cartel Coins but never getting the item can generate that sort of lawsuit. You not being able to run a raid, or having some Boss bug out and make your Ops wipe cannot generate a lawsuit. The practical reality is that the Cartel Market is simply more important (in that respect) than your gameplay. They fix the CM immediately because they have to in order to avoid legal issues.

Annoying, definitely. Disheartening, sure. Disgusting in how it allows litigious idiots to screw over reasonable people: yup. But until your campaign to change international contract law succeeds, this is simply the way the world works.

Malastare
09.12.2013 , 09:01 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by kidatwood View Post
I'm sure this is based off Majority rules where they look for a time when most of there player base is not playing. Which would make sence.
In fact, that's exactly what they say they're doing: Picking windows where the fewest players are impacted.

And they've even shifted the window in cases where they know special circumstances will cause different population patterns. I can't remember exactly which day it was, but they shifted a maintenance into the early morning in the US because some holiday was going to mean that a lot of European players would be playing during the mid-day.

Sure, it sucks for the people who play at the less popular times (beyond the normal lower population issues), but it does seem a bit selfish to say that its better to inconvenience 10 people than 5 people because one of those five people is you.

SteveMellross
09.12.2013 , 10:09 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Malastare View Post
In fact, that's exactly what they say they're doing: Picking windows where the fewest players are impacted.

And they've even shifted the window in cases where they know special circumstances will cause different population patterns. I can't remember exactly which day it was, but they shifted a maintenance into the early morning in the US because some holiday was going to mean that a lot of European players would be playing during the mid-day.

Sure, it sucks for the people who play at the less popular times (beyond the normal lower population issues), but it does seem a bit selfish to say that its better to inconvenience 10 people than 5 people because one of those five people is you.
Actually, most people aren't complaining about the time of day - they are complaining about the huge amount of unscheduled maintenance days that have been happening recently. We have no problem with *scheduled* maintenance happening in the middle of our prime time. It's all the other days recently we have been missing out on. If BioWare stuck to their schedule like most other MMOs do then no one would be complaining.
Elzilcho Mercenary Level 55
Character Profile (Ask Mr. Robot)

gorstram
09.12.2013 , 10:38 PM | #25
All is well and good in 'Murica. Therefore, nothing is wrong anywhere else.

:P
PO5:
Finklefett- 55 Merc (Gungans Ate My Baby)
Finkleboom- 55 Mando w/ 25% more Jesus Beams <OOTAP>
Finkle'Fabulous- 55 Vanguard: "The Big Pink Tank" <OOTAP>

Kynesis
09.13.2013 , 12:40 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by gorstram View Post
All is well and good in 'Murica. Therefore, nothing is wrong anywhere else.

:P
I wanted to post something along the lines of "Pick a day, any day, just pick one day on a regular schedule and stick with it."

The other side of it all is that while Aussies grumble, Americans absolutely freak out at even the tiniest inconvenience - as far as that goes, I do sympathise with BW (and other businesses).

We need to be able to at least plan for down time though, we've got our own lives and commitments; MMO's require quite a lot of time and particularly at the higher end of play, regular and well managed practice.

MajikMyst
09.13.2013 , 02:27 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by DAMossimo View Post
This is the issue - maintenance on days other than Tuesday. All people are asking for is a little lead time so they can schedule raids around the maintenance. Not too much to ask.
Actually, yes is it.. Since they only patch on days other than Tue. to fix important issues.. Things that come up unintended.. However, I have never seen them do an unscheduled maintenance without any kind of notice at all.. Sure it may only be a few hours when we get it.. But the notice there.. Their priority is maintaining this game for the entire population, to make sure that everything works as intended.. Not to make sure you have enough lead time to schedule your raids accordingly.. Honestly..

Also.. Do not talk for the people.. You are asking.. Not the people.. Most other people have the common sense to be aware that these things happen in an online game.. Just saying..

Seriously.. I find it hard to believe that people are leaving your guild because of maintenance.. That would be one of the lamest things a person could do.. Maintenance effects everyone and every guild.. So seriously.. If the maintenance is destroying your guild?? You are better off without them..

These things happen and there really is no need to cry about them.. Losing a raid night here and there isn't a big deal.. If it is, then you really need to get a life..
Who is the more foolish? The fool or the fool that follows him?

[.] Lost but never forgotten!! 12-01-2011 R.I.P.

MajikMyst
09.13.2013 , 02:36 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by SteveMellross View Post
I've been raiding since just after release in this game and maintenance has never been an issue because it was always on the scheduled maintenance day (Tuesday). Because of this we raided Wed/Thur/Sun. Too easy!

BUT... Over the last month there has been maintenance almost every Wednesday and a few Thursdays. Since it falls right in the middle of our peak raiding time these unscheduled patches (even if it's only 2 hours) wipe out an entire day of raiding for us. That's the issue.
As I said in the post above.. Things happen and bugs appear, that require a maintenance on a day other than Tuesday.. There really is nothing to complain about.. Welcome to life playing an online game..

I again, fail to see why people get their knickers in a bunch over this.. There isn't a single gaming company that writes bug free software.. In fact there is no company that writes bug free software.. Yes they are a pain.. They are certainly an annoyance..

Are they worth complaining about?? No... Are they worth creating a thread over?? No.. Common sense should tell anyone that this stuff is bound to happen.. Over all it doesn't happen all that often.. At least they are actively fixing bugs and trying to give us the best gaming experience..

I am sorry this effects people's raiding schedule.. But I would rather miss a day or two of raiding here and there, than have to live with bugs..

You all should read the patch notes.. Yes there are reasons we had an unscheduled maintenance..

As for notice?? Even if it is just a few hours, I have never seen them do a patch without some kind of notice.. Even short notice.. These are unintended and unscheduled maintenances..
Who is the more foolish? The fool or the fool that follows him?

[.] Lost but never forgotten!! 12-01-2011 R.I.P.

Phinion
09.13.2013 , 05:26 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by PseudoScience View Post
Exactly!!

If it was 3 hours before or after this time it would be no issue at all.
You mean it would not be an issue at all for you. However, it would be an issue for someone else. Since you have the issue you have the right to complain. But, if it was happening to someone else you would simply tell them to deal with it or welcome to MMO gaming. Can't make everyone happy in this world.. yet I agree BW could make a better effort to try.