Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Rise of the Hutt Cartel – Free to Subscribers Starting September 12th!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Rise of the Hutt Cartel – Free to Subscribers Starting September 12th!
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Ravenschild
09.11.2013 , 10:12 AM | #521
Quote: Originally Posted by Lacedemon View Post
Did no one see this coming? Many other games have done this in the past; most famously WoW which has made the earlier expansions free.

The game is at the point where you NEED the expansion to enjoy the game and its mostly defunct content now. Most people only go to Makeb because they have to; dailies for money, still need 72's from TC etc.... S&V HM is about to be released and most of the other 55 stuff introduced is redundant or rehashed level 50 stuff like *yawn* TFB: \

In addition, in fact imho even though it could well be seen a cheeky to do it only 6months and not 12months or w/e; this is a good thing for those of us at endgame as it increases the pool of players. More 55's means more people to lolGroupFinder with or a bigger pool of players to recruit from. Any MMO is only as strong as the community that plays it and this only increase and enhances it.

Chances are if you did not have the expansion back then and where playing at endgame you would be bored stiff, barely anyone who is unhappy at this would not have got the expansion even if you knew it was going to be free. You would have paid or left rather than sit around bored for 6months wasting sub money not being to enjoy anything in game with it all being moved to 55.
Burning Crusade came out in 2007 and was given for free in 2011. Wrath of the Lich King came out in 2008 and was given for free in 2012. Neither of these expansions at any point were stated by the developers that they were going to be put out there for free. Initially the planet Makeb was. Not to mention there is a world of difference between 3 years and 6 months. Using WOW as an example doesnt really work here since they were 2 expansions ahead by the time either of those were released for free or they were released within a couple of weeks of those free releases. I somehow doubt that SWTOR is releasing a new expansion with increased level cap,gear and planets within the next month,much less two of them.
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons.For you are crunchy and go good with ketchup
Ravnn (Sniper) | Culainn (Commando) | Cintas (Mercenary)| Sodomos (Assassin)| No-Name (Gunslinger)| Fios (Sorcerer)| Hemr'roids (Juggernaut)
Begeren Colony

SirrSlaughterr
09.11.2013 , 10:28 AM | #522
Woah! Why aren't subscribers that bought the expansion getting any cartel coins? We get a title??? I don't use anything other than the rank titles granted through the class quest line... This is a step away from what should be happening.

homsikpanda
09.11.2013 , 10:30 AM | #523
Quote: Originally Posted by SirrSlaughterr View Post
Woah! Why aren't subscribers that bought the expansion getting any cartel coins? We get a title??? I don't use anything other than the rank titles granted through the class quest line... This is a step away from what should be happening.
cartel coins are an extremely baddly worded refund for recent PAID purchase of a NOW free product.

SirrSlaughterr
09.11.2013 , 10:38 AM | #524
Quote: Originally Posted by homsikpanda View Post
cartel coins are an extremely baddly worded refund for recent PAID purchase of a NOW free product.
Yeah I get that now, but now all we can do is kick ourselves for not waiting for it to go free... I mean it was $9.99 sure, everyone likes to focus on what a small amount of money that is. BUT ask me if I would rather pay something, or nothing, FREE wins every time! So give the CC to everyone! or no one! I don't want another title that will go unused, maybe Bioware owes us nothing (something I'm not 100% sure about) but they have to realize how many people they just pissed off by announcing RotHC going free this way!.....

DarthTHC
09.11.2013 , 10:38 AM | #525
Your characterizing cartel coins as a refund is absolutely, 100% wrong.

A refund is cash back. They could spend it on a toaster or gas or a beer. Or even hold onto it and use it to buy the next expansion pack. That's a refund.

What they're actually being offered is an in-store credit that's not even going to be good to use to purchase the next expansion pack. If they are disinterested in the cartel market, the 1,050 CC's are beyond worthless to them.

That is, of course, unless they exercise their consumer rights (protected under the laws in the various regions SWTOR does business) and demand an actual refund.
Human beings see oppression vividly when they're the victims. Otherwise they victimize blindly and without a thought. ~ Isaac Bashevis Singer

ScarletBlaze
09.11.2013 , 10:40 AM | #526
They should have actually said refund instead of appreciation. I believe most (not all) would have understood that but using the word appreciation gives a bad impression that one set of subscribers is more valued than the other. They should have worded it where it was clear it was a refund and not clouded it with the word appreciation. They need to learn how to use words correctly.
A southern girl is a girl who knows full well that she can open a door for herself but prefers for the gentleman to do it because it demonstrates a sense of respect. Current Guild Roleplay: Redemption: The battle of Xa Fel https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=...ps/r-1rAjOuo30

DarthTHC
09.11.2013 , 10:44 AM | #527
Quote: Originally Posted by ScarletBlaze View Post
They should have actually said refund instead of appreciation. I believe most (not all) would have understood that but using the word appreciation gives a bad impression that one set of subscribers is more valued than the other. They should have worded it where it was clear it was a refund and not clouded it with the word appreciation. They need to learn how to use words correctly.
They can't say "refund" for the reason in my post immediately above yours. It's not a refund. A refund would be returning to the buyer what they gave for the product - cash (because you can't buy the expansion with cartel coins).

It's not a refund. It's an in-store credit, subject to all the limitations of an in-store credit.

Personally, if I had purchased the expansion within 30 days of the "free" date, I would demand the refund. I have no desire for any more cartel coins.
Human beings see oppression vividly when they're the victims. Otherwise they victimize blindly and without a thought. ~ Isaac Bashevis Singer

homsikpanda
09.11.2013 , 10:44 AM | #528
Quote: Originally Posted by SirrSlaughterr View Post
Yeah I get that now, but now all we can do is kick ourselves for not waiting for it to go free... I mean it was $9.99 sure, everyone likes to focus on what a small amount of money that is. BUT ask me if I would rather pay something, or nothing, FREE wins every time! So give the CC to everyone! or no one! I don't want another title that will go unused, maybe Bioware owes us nothing (something I'm not 100% sure about) but they have to realize how many people they just pissed off by announcing RotHC going free this way!.....
way i see it, it's like buying a movie now or waiting til it's on cable and just recording it then >.>;
you pay now and get the enjoyment of it now, or you wait and enjoy it later for free -shrug-

Quote: Originally Posted by DarthTHC View Post
Your characterizing cartel coins as a refund is absolutely, 100% wrong.

A refund is cash back. They could spend it on a toaster or gas or a beer. Or even hold onto it and use it to buy the next expansion pack. That's a refund.

What they're actually being offered is an in-store credit that's not even going to be good to use to purchase the next expansion pack. If they are disinterested in the cartel market, the 1,050 CC's are beyond worthless to them.

That is, of course, unless they exercise their consumer rights (protected under the laws in the various regions SWTOR does business) and demand an actual refund.
an "in store credit" refund is still a refund.... if they're that hurt about it they can like you said get a cash refund.

myself personally i'm enjoying my unexpected CC i got that awesome imperial agent outfit thingy from the cartel market :3 and i made all my republic companions wear it x3 lol.

Quote: Originally Posted by ScarletBlaze View Post
english and politics does not seem to be their strong points....but then again EA did win the consumerist worst customer service 2 years in a row (which nobody has ever done before) so i think at this point they're just trying for a 3rd year in a row (now that the bar has been set they need to make sure they meet everyones expectations of a 3rd year in a row, keep up the prestige and all that )

SirrSlaughterr
09.11.2013 , 10:44 AM | #529
Quote: Originally Posted by scarletblaze View Post
they should have actually said refund instead of appreciation. I believe most (not all) would have understood that but using the word appreciation gives a bad impression that one set of subscribers is more valued than the other. They should have worded it where it was clear it was a refund and not clouded it with the word appreciation. They need to learn how to use words correctly.
^ exactly!

DarthTHC
09.11.2013 , 10:47 AM | #530
an "in store credit" refund is still a refund.... if they're that hurt about it they can like you said get a cash refund.
No, it's not. Especially by the legal definition of "refund". That's why they're not calling it a refund.

Here's a more common-language definition of the term to assist your comprehension.

Quote: Originally Posted by dictionary.com
re·fund1 [v. ri-fuhnd, ree-fuhnd; n. ree-fuhnd] Show IPA
verb (used with object)
to give back or restore (especially money); repay.