Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Rise of the Hutt Cartel Free to Subscribers Starting September 12th!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Rise of the Hutt Cartel Free to Subscribers Starting September 12th!
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Devrius
09.11.2013 , 08:12 AM | #501
Quote: Originally Posted by Lacedemon View Post
Did no one see this coming? Many other games have done this in the past; most famously WoW which has made the earlier expansions free.

The game is at the point where you NEED the expansion to enjoy the game and its mostly defunct content now. Most people only go to Makeb because they have to; dailies for money, still need 72's from TC etc.... S&V HM is about to be released and most of the other 55 stuff introduced is redundant or rehashed level 50 stuff like *yawn* TFB: \

In addition, in fact imho even though it could well be seen a cheeky to do it only 6months and not 12months or w/e; this is a good thing for those of us at endgame as it increases the pool of players. More 55's means more people to lolGroupFinder with or a bigger pool of players to recruit from. Any MMO is only as strong as the community that plays it and this only increase and enhances it.

Chances are if you did not have the expansion back then and where playing at endgame you would be bored stiff, barely anyone who is unhappy at this would not have got the expansion even if you knew it was going to be free. You would have paid or left rather than sit around bored for 6months wasting sub money not being to enjoy anything in game with it all being moved to 55.
Had I known I was paying for early access I would have made an informed decission, but it wasn't marketed that way. As far as I knew it was the only way to access the new content..

CrispenGray
09.11.2013 , 08:15 AM | #502
At the time, it was the only way to access the content. However, as time went on, they made the decision to make it available to everyone. Makes sense to me.

I've been a subscriber since the beginning. I preordered Hutt Cartel the moment it became available, and I'll do so again with any new expansions. For the last 6 months, I had a TON of fun with the expansion, and it was totally worth the $10 I put into it. I don't need cartel coins -- I see why people who ordered it recently should get some, and I don't need it. (Not that I'd turn it down if it showed up, but I hardly feel obligated to it.)

I think this is great. It's going to get more people enjoying the game and playing, and that's good for the survival of this game I so enjoy playing.

homsikpanda
09.11.2013 , 08:18 AM | #503
Quote: Originally Posted by Devrius View Post
Right there.
ah! :3

well my siggy still stands!

i'll also accept you just giving me all your lvl 55 characters and all the gear and loot they accumulated....

and also that personal trainer hutt thing, that thing is cool! :3

Sorwen
09.11.2013 , 08:23 AM | #504
It is enough that it is going free in less than a year, but it is total BS to only give Cartel coins to people that have bought it in the last month. It is already a slap in the face I pay you month just so I will not have all of my gear disable and for that support everything new is released only on the market so I have to pay even more, but now I'm being charged for early access and not even being told that.
Forever and always forward.
Please save me from the shortsightedness of developers that think they are clever.
More family tree options
Yeah! I just made Legacy Level 8. (and I didn't even get a T-shirt)

Nyssian
09.11.2013 , 08:24 AM | #505
I don't care about the sides on this subject, I payed to own ROTHC...not have it given to others free after the fact. I payed for makeb and level 55, as did others. You want to be on our planet the pay for it as we did. Ever sense this game went F2P those loyal subscribers have been getting shafted left and right, weres the loyalty we get for sticking by the game?
yOU WANT TO KEEP THIS GAME UP, THEN LIVE UP TO THE HYPE YOU WERE SPITTING OUT BEFOR THE LAUNCH.

Devrius
09.11.2013 , 08:26 AM | #506
Quote: Originally Posted by CrispenGray View Post
At the time, it was the only way to access the content. However, as time went on, they made the decision to make it available to everyone. Makes sense to me.

I've been a subscriber since the beginning. I preordered Hutt Cartel the moment it became available, and I'll do so again with any new expansions. For the last 6 months, I had a TON of fun with the expansion, and it was totally worth the $10 I put into it. I don't need cartel coins -- I see why people who ordered it recently should get some, and I don't need it. (Not that I'd turn it down if it showed up, but I hardly feel obligated to it.)

I think this is great. It's going to get more people enjoying the game and playing, and that's good for the survival of this game I so enjoy playing.
Yes getting the new subscribers free access to the end game will be good, making it seem like been a long term subscriber is a dumb move? Not so much...

Remember that tv commercial about insurance companies, in which they use kids to illustrate how even they know it's wrong to give new costumers free stuff older costumer don't get?

Well that's what I get from this move, "Don,t buy our stuff, ever, it'll be free eventually Hell newer players get their money back you who helped make the investement money back on launch though? You're just a sucker".

xAZUREx
09.11.2013 , 08:29 AM | #507
well everyone we know what to do next expansion
Tomb of Freedon Nadd: (Kazama Legacy)
<A New Hope> <Sith Crusaders>
There is no force, there is only FUS RO DAH

Devrius
09.11.2013 , 08:35 AM | #508
Quote: Originally Posted by homsikpanda View Post
ah! :3

well my siggy still stands!

i'll also accept you just giving me all your lvl 55 characters and all the gear and loot they accumulated....

and also that personal trainer hutt thing, that thing is cool! :3
I don't get the characters and gear bit, are you assuming having Makeb gives you free stuff and level ups or something? My characters earned their gear in FPs and finished lvling in WZs...

DAMossimo
09.11.2013 , 08:38 AM | #509
Quote: Originally Posted by rhiarose View Post
Really? we are complaining about a $10 expansion pack that everyone who purchased at early access had access to for 6 months?

First off you are not "entitled" to anything, the agreement you accepted when you accepted the TOS etc is for Bioware to provide a product and give you access to it for the fee agreed on. Legally they don't even HAVE to offer you a refund, because the agreements do not include a "refund for whatever I feel i'm entitled to" clause. Bioware offered a product for a price, you purchased that product, they delivered it.

I suppose I should drive down to the dealership where I purchased my car and demand a refund since the model year has now depreciated in value and is being sold for less than I Bought it for.

Bottom Line, Rise was priced at $10 when you purchased it, its now depreciated in value and is now $0 dollars to people who pay monthly for the game.

Let me give you a little perspective for those of you who are complaining and are unfamiliar with what a real "rip off" scam is.

That OTHER Star Wars MMO, you remember it? Star Wars Galaxies? well any of you who played it remember Trials of Obi-Won.

a $20 expansion pack released on Nov 1, 2005, one that was advertised with content for all the wonderful classes SWG launched with, classes that on the SAME DAY as the xpac launch were REMOVED from the game by the infamous NGE after they had happily taken our money and promised us content for those classes, KNOWING all along they were going to remove them. a radical game overhaul like NGE doesn't happen in a week.

That is a willfully perpetrated scam if I've ever seen one.

Giving what amounts to a six month early access to an xpac for a piddly $10 bucks is NOT a willfully perpetrated scam, its called, well Early Access. It may not have been intended to be early access, but that's what it is.

But the bottom line is, they owe you absolutely nothing. You are "entitled" to exactly what the contract you signed with Bioware outlines, you pay, they give you a product. Loyalty rewards are a wonderful idea, but they are hardly required by law, No company has to offer you any kind of "loyalty" rewards. I dont get a discount on my gas just because I fill at the same station every time.

I would even possibly go so far as to say they DO owe people who bought the game within the last 30 days a refund because the decision was probably made within those 30 days and not announced till 3 days before it happens. But hat is of course my opinion, and im sure many will disagree.

What isn't is that purchases of Rise were a Business Transaction, that is all this is, not "arent we special, we stuck with you, now reward us". Your reward is that you get to keep playing the game your paying for and enjoying and they get to keep producing more content for it. Content they are now NOT charging subscribers for.
Yeah well I paid for the expansion and it is now ambiguous as to whether or not they are going to honor the original deal - buy RotH and play it whether I am sub or preferred, or now that they have changed the deal, do I have to sub to keep accessing the content I paid money for? If it is the latter, then your are damn right I am owed something - they changed the terms of the agreement after a purchase was made with no compensation.

Still waiting on a yellow response to that question...

Brewski
09.11.2013 , 08:42 AM | #510
Quote: Originally Posted by DAMossimo View Post
Yeah well I paid for the expansion and it is now ambiguous as to whether or not they are going to honor the original deal - buy RotH and play it whether I am sub or preferred, or now that they have changed the deal, do I have to sub to keep accessing the content I paid money for? If it is the latter, then your are damn right I am owed something - they changed the terms of the agreement after a purchase was made with no compensation.

Still waiting on a yellow response to that question...
I think that is pretty obvious is the original post. If you paid for it, you still have access to it forever. If you have not yet purchased it, but are a subscriber, you will get access to it tomorrow for free. Nowhere does it say anything about revoking access for people who have already paid for it, and I'm not sure how it could be read as ambiguous on that point.