Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Guild size and faction/access needs to be changed

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion > Suggestion Box
Guild size and faction/access needs to be changed

marginal_error
09.10.2013 , 08:11 AM | #1
Guild Size issues:
I am in a major guild which is always maxed out at the 500 toon cap.
We do weekly removals of all toons not logged for 60 days. Having said that, we probably only remove 4-5 a week.
We will also do some "ad-hoc" removals when we need space as required for new up and coming players.
These spots are quickly replaced regardless of how much maintenance we perform.

One Tuesdays, and weekends, we have anywhere from 40 to 70 people online.
Most people have at least 2-3 level 55 toons, while many of our more dedicated have 6-8 and more.
if we were to say that each person has an average of 6 toons (6 toons would be all crafters), then our guild is only realistically 83 people, which seems fairly small when you think about it. We know that our numbers are closer to 105.

We want to grow to become the largest community on our server. We can't do that with the current 500 toon cap.
We have a waiting list of people that want to join our active community.
By active, I mean that we have anywhere from 2-6 Ops teams running nightly.

Solution:
Increase the guild cap to 1000 toons
OR
allow the count of 200 accounts/members where each member's toons only count as a combined total of 1
(1 person can have 6 toons in the guild, but the guild roster count would only count as 1, makes more sense since you can only be logged into 1 toon at a time anyways)

One should be easier than the other to implement.

Cross-Faction communication:

Due to the initial design or the faction set-up, there is no chat access across factions, whisper or otherwise.
the only method of communication is via in-game-mail.

I realize that the dark and light sides are two separate "games/stories/etc", but when it comes to playing the games, there are MANY that play both sides. We have 2 guilds, one for each faction.
it is impossible, without using a separate communication service (steam or other chat service), to communicate with all players.

We are not talking about revamping the whole game. Just the ability to chat across factions. This is where increasing the guild size ALSO comes into play.

If guilds were allowed to be cross faction, then people could chat using guild chat as they currently do.
this would also require the guild size cap to be increased of course. It would also be easier to find out, via the guild roster, where people are.

On a separate note, we use the member note to identify ourselves. I believe that the max characters is somewhere around 50? if each toon is allowed 15 characters to their name, and you have 6 toons, why not allow a maximum of 90 or more characters in that box. There is PLENTY of space. (but I digress...)

If this game is to increase it's numbers, and allow for the growth of guild and community play, this has to be considered realistically.

Cross-faction communication and guild sizes MUST change in order for the game to progress.
Hindering contact and communication and size only makes for stagnant game-play.

Thank you for your consideration
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.

Trentest
09.10.2013 , 09:02 AM | #2
I agree with the ability to chat across factions.

Have been in three RP guilds that fell apart after trying to start an alternative guild for its members on the opposite faction, then fell apart a couple of weeks later from there being a total lack of communication between its members since they're spread across the two guilds with no way of talking to one another.

When members favour another faction over their first choice, we REALLY need a way to talk to them. Some form of easy chat between factions is getting crucial.

SawneyRath
09.10.2013 , 02:48 PM | #3
I agree with the Guild Cap increase and Cross faction chat. I have roughly 50-60 people in my guild which isn't as much but we are growing quite fast. We also have a second Guild for the other faction, but it is really hard to communicate with everyone due to some people not using vent/steam/skype/ect.

Allowing a Guild to be "Cross faction" would be great. All you would really need to do is "Link" Guilds from both sides so they can share a Guild Chat. I don't see any reason that can't be done.
Selique Lasra [Jung Ma RPvP]
Guildmaster of <Esoteric Order/Knights of Atonement>
~Star Wars Galaxies Vet (Scylla/Starsider)~

Delta_V
09.10.2013 , 05:15 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by SawneyRath View Post
I agree with the Guild Cap increase and Cross faction chat. I have roughly 50-60 people in my guild which isn't as much but we are growing quite fast. We also have a second Guild for the other faction, but it is really hard to communicate with everyone due to some people not using vent/steam/skype/ect.

Allowing a Guild to be "Cross faction" would be great. All you would really need to do is "Link" Guilds from both sides so they can share a Guild Chat. I don't see any reason that can't be done.
My guild is in pretty much the same boat. The "main" guild is on the Pub side with a sister guild for our Imp characters. We only have 70-something actual members Pub side, but we are already starting to get close to the Guild Cap (yay for altoholics!). And the lack of cross-faction chat makes it difficult to communicate w/ people logged in on the opposite faction, which is especially annoying when trying to put together ops groups.

Mcadamsl
09.11.2013 , 12:27 AM | #5
One thing you can do to help this is to create a secondary guild with same name add a 2 or something after it for allot of you guild members alts, then create a custom chat channel that everyone can log on too from either guild to replace the normal guild speak channel and that will double you current guild size with just a little work.

AbsolutGrndZero
09.11.2013 , 04:45 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Mcadamsl View Post
One thing you can do to help this is to create a secondary guild with same name add a 2 or something after it for allot of you guild members alts, then create a custom chat channel that everyone can log on too from either guild to replace the normal guild speak channel and that will double you current guild size with just a little work.
While I agree with the OP that a increase would be appreciated, your idea is a good workaround in the mean time.
The Babylon Legacy
Harbinger
Racquel, Stancerry, Jennica, Porcelain

marginal_error
09.11.2013 , 07:33 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Mcadamsl View Post
There are some major factors that won't work very well either:
  • This won't solve cross-faction communications
  • Whomever the guild leader is (one would assume it would be the primary guild leader's alt or another high ranking officer), would not have access to the primary guild only chat channels, officer channels and other specialty guild features such as guild XP (until it became large enough)
  • This may be confusing to new recruits
  • There would be some sort of "why am I on the secondary guild, and not the primary" whining going on

I think it is obvious that, while this is a game of separate factions, the community on whole play both sides and the communication between guild members should not be limited to factions.
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.