Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Please Help! New to SWTOR but lots of MMO exp...trying to decide on Sith Tank Class!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Roles > Tanking
Please Help! New to SWTOR but lots of MMO exp...trying to decide on Sith Tank Class!

wetslampigduex
09.09.2013 , 09:03 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Hockaday View Post
No...they are OP. Powertechs / Vanguards have no reason to exist atm except for those who can't handle more than one button..
You do realize it takes more skill to play a PT/VG now then it takes to play a SW/JG? For the juggy you can effectively tank without worrying about anything but face rolling and hitting DcD's when needed. You can tank absolutely fine with out a set rotation on a juggy just hit any ability that's not on CD. The PT you actually need to watch buff's/build stacks for heat blast and keep track of your Flame Engine proc. No, it's not a lot to keep track of but its more then what a juggy needs to do.

MyNameIsSmags
09.09.2013 , 12:47 PM | #12
Thank you all for the input! much to consider here

Vaidinah
09.09.2013 , 04:16 PM | #13
Edit: Deleted
The Harbinger
Intrepid

Guardian/Juggernaut Tank Guide: From Beginner to Master

Hockaday
09.11.2013 , 03:21 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by wetslampigduex View Post
You do realize it takes more skill to play a PT/VG now then it takes to play a SW/JG? For the juggy you can effectively tank without worrying about anything but face rolling and hitting DcD's when needed. You can tank absolutely fine with out a set rotation on a juggy just hit any ability that's not on CD. The PT you actually need to watch buff's/build stacks for heat blast and keep track of your Flame Engine proc. No, it's not a lot to keep track of but its more then what a juggy needs to do.
Not...really. But this is a different debate (flame burst spam!) Jugs have two abilities they need to keep on CD. Pts have resource management. Jugs can face roll CDs...PTs have two.
The Empire is not evil, and the Republic is not good...it is all a matter of opinion.
Nerf Hungering! It's too OP.=Bartle Test Results:= CE VIP
{Reward-Driven 85%} {Exploratory -60%} {Physical 32%} {Thoughtful -26%} {Social -60%} {Competitive 100%}

Hockaday
09.11.2013 , 03:26 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by THoK-Zeus View Post
snip.
Some of your ideas are a bit...wacky. Not sure why you'd want a tank to pull thrasher into your healers...since you don't tank switch that. At least in HM, haven't done NM mode yet. Same with Titan 6 (HM). Some of your ideas are Nice, but still...that 5% does not and will not magically save us from having most of our hp knocked out from RNG.
The Empire is not evil, and the Republic is not good...it is all a matter of opinion.
Nerf Hungering! It's too OP.=Bartle Test Results:= CE VIP
{Reward-Driven 85%} {Exploratory -60%} {Physical 32%} {Thoughtful -26%} {Social -60%} {Competitive 100%}

AAAAzrael
09.11.2013 , 05:01 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Hockaday View Post
Some of your ideas are a bit...wacky. Not sure why you'd want a tank to pull thrasher into your healers...since you don't tank switch that.
Most people tank swap on Trasher as the other tank goes up.

That being said I happened to tank 16-man HM Thrasher on Monday in crazy inter-guild group with at least one healer being really a sage DPS and I survived quite surprisingly even though we did it in tactics where guardian jumped up and I just stayed on boss at the gate. There were a few scary moments but I believe with healers knowing each other etc. it wouldn't be that hard. The only thing I did was respec for endurance talent for something like 38,5k health. So 16-man HM is not that much of a problem (although it still is much easier for a guardian or vanguard and much less dependent on carefully optimising gear).Based on my limited experience with 8-man NiM I can't see shadow tank in 16-man NiM for now. Maybe in full Kell Dragon gear from 8-man it would be possible though?
Ingalaarn Conqueror of the Dread Fortress / Ji'kiley The Eternal Warrior
Joshased From Beyond / Dread Slayer Xartanol
Manticore @ The Red Eclipse

THoK-Zeus
09.11.2013 , 08:44 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by AAAAzrael View Post
Most people tank swap on Trasher as the other tank goes up.

That being said I happened to tank 16-man HM Thrasher on Monday in crazy inter-guild group with at least one healer being really a sage DPS and I survived quite surprisingly even though we did it in tactics where guardian jumped up and I just stayed on boss at the gate. There were a few scary moments but I believe with healers knowing each other etc. it wouldn't be that hard. The only thing I did was respec for endurance talent for something like 38,5k health. So 16-man HM is not that much of a problem (although it still is much easier for a guardian or vanguard and much less dependent on carefully optimising gear).Based on my limited experience with 8-man NiM I can't see shadow tank in 16-man NiM for now. Maybe in full Kell Dragon gear from 8-man it would be possible though?
I did maintank thrasher 16 man hm for months (as an assassin) without any problems.

When you have a lot of random new people in your Group, it's way easier for them to just maintain tanking thrasher at a certain point while a juggernaut/vanguard jumps up with 2 dps or another assassin tanks aoe taunts the adds from downstairs.

First awall, these are not ideas... I do use phase walk excactly the way i described it. Kiting thrasher and tankswitch around is the main method for a good coordinated group in NiM Content (i think dilih and suckafish did it that way, just watch their vids).

Obviously its also easy to let the other tank tank thrasher at first for 5 seconds while you place your healing circle in the middle and take then thrasher for the whole time (and probably do a short switch when phase walk is back of cooldown).

What do you mean about HM Titan? Just place a healing circle in a position where the healers can heal the whole raid at 2 different launch positions. Thats quite easy and you get a lot of uptime (on the first two positions of Titan, partially on the third position and full uptime on forth position and burn Phase if you do it the optimal way).