Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Marauders as tanks...

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Marauders as tanks...

Xakthul
09.09.2013 , 07:26 PM | #1
Okay, stupid question: If I gear my Marauder with a huge stack of Endurance, Crit, and Strength, can he become a viable DPS tank?
Duelist Mixalot, Grand Champ Tellsa, Lord Saml, Apprentice Syynx, Captain Cirris, Skirmisher Janewei, Jedi Knight Jugger'not, Agent Ez'zio of <Wookies and Cream>, Harbinger
"Aim for the trolls! Kill the trolls!"- Gandalf

Fidelicatessen
09.09.2013 , 07:32 PM | #2
In a lowbie flashpoint? Probably. If you really wanted to do this, though, you wouldn't stack those stats; you'd stack defense, shield and absorb.

In a 55 HM or ops? Definitely not.

Play to your strengths, not your weaknesses.

AAAAzrael
09.09.2013 , 08:15 PM | #3
Actually only defence stat that will work for sentinel is defence and this has been done before for extreme soloing of stuff. Like one of the people here on forums who soloed L55 FP's.
Ingalaarn Conqueror of the Dread Fortress / Ji'kiley Deposer of the Dread Masters
Gate Crasher Joshased / Xartanol From Beyond
Manticore @ The Red Eclipse

Dragonexadon
09.10.2013 , 01:46 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Xakthul View Post
Okay, stupid question: If I gear my Marauder with a huge stack of Endurance, Crit, and Strength, can he become a viable DPS tank?
By DPS tank do you mean pulling mobs off the healer? This is what you should be doing anyway so good job if you are. That said Tanks should be tanking for the most part. I would not stack crit. If you are using the burst damage to pull agro off the tank you will only hurt the group. You only need very little damage to pull of the healer. And, as a sentinel, I would never stack endurance.

I guess it depends on your goals but if you plan to run operations or even HM flash-points then I would stick with what your class was designed for.
FORCE EFFECT
|US-East || PVP Server || Casual Guild || End Game Operations & PVP
http://www.force-effect.net/

AlixMV
09.11.2013 , 05:16 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Xakthul View Post
Well, my first question was 'why would you want to?', but to try to answer it more seriously (y'know, just in case this isn't a troll...)

Like someone else noted: if you're talking about low-level/leveling content then..sure? You could? In terms of being the person who generates and holds all the threat.

But you'd be missing out on a rather large part of what a tank class can bring to the table: mitigation. As someone corrected above, the only mitigation stat a Marauder could take advantage of is Defense (Shield and Absorb require the class ability to equip a Shield), and the Marauder trees, afaik, are missing abilities that give boosts to Defense the way the Juggernaut tank spec does.

You also wouldn't have any taunts, and although some tanks swear they can tank without them, they're one of the tools in the arsenal, and not having one would make tanking more difficult.

On top of that: Endurance and Strength are, for the most part, antagonistic stats. Armoring and Mods are either Endurance high or Strength high, which means you could either min-max one or the other or be mediocre at both, not a "huge stack of Endurance....and Strength".

Once you hit 55 endgame, though, I'd have to expect things like TfB and S&V would crush you like a bug.

Now I'm curious to see how effective a Mara could be tanking SM FPs at level.
~ Jedi Covenant ~
Sollyni ~ Diyanna ~ Annifryd
Ydris ~ Mai'ty'lee ~ Lor'rysi

Elzen
09.11.2013 , 05:26 PM | #6
I think the idea behind the crits is for the selfs heals from DoTs in the watchman/annihilation tree. Same thing for high endurance as it's a percentage based heal.
Quote: Originally Posted by Grumpftard View Post
The secret to tanking is to play like a crappy DPS. Play it like that DPS in the GF that always makes you say "*** is this guy doing?"

Xakthul
09.12.2013 , 04:15 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by AlixMV View Post
Well, my first question was 'why would you want to?', but to try to answer it more seriously (y'know, just in case this isn't a troll...)
Don't worry, not a troll. Just wanted to know if anybody else had the same general idea as I did.... I've played up to level 45 with my current DPS/Tank build.
Duelist Mixalot, Grand Champ Tellsa, Lord Saml, Apprentice Syynx, Captain Cirris, Skirmisher Janewei, Jedi Knight Jugger'not, Agent Ez'zio of <Wookies and Cream>, Harbinger
"Aim for the trolls! Kill the trolls!"- Gandalf

TACeMossie
09.12.2013 , 05:14 AM | #8
Hey, the correct build is:

Aim for (at max gearing)

99.95% accuracy
40% crit rate
72% surge

If you get this, your burns will heal you approximately 95% of the time at 6 juyo stacks for (best case scenario) 365 health each, while Zen heals you for approx 2.2k hp

Build to go with it:
http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#10...RrfsrzZhMMZc.3

NOTE: THIS IS A TROLL BUILD AND PROBABLY DOESNT WORK AT ALL IN OPS. FLASHPOINTS, MAYBE, BUT NOT OPS.