Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

An idea for PVP based on the SSSP GUI......

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
An idea for PVP based on the SSSP GUI......

LordArtemis
09.07.2013 , 04:51 AM | #1
I was thinking about this...how can you improve PVP, increase the balance pass frequency and increase the fun and approachability?

What comes to mind is BF2 once again. After taking a peek at the SSSP GUI, I started to get the idea that there might be a way to drastically alter the way that PVP is played in this game.

Let's say the following changes were made...

1) The mechanic for PVP is completely replaced. You get a new simplified GUI that has a single bar with 5 or 6 abilities on a single bar at the bottom and simple controls.

2) Your stats are completely based on Expertise, which is effected by level and performance in PVP (ranking), and can rise and fall depending on that performance. Your gear no longer determines your stats.

3) Models for your toon are simplified, polys removed, much more basic models used to promote the ability for larger amounts of folks to PVP together.

4) Particles and effects would be dialed back dramatically.

The idea, by doing this would be to allow balance changes to PVP which do not effect PVE in any way, allow a much more approachable and intuitive PVP system for instanced PVP, allow large groups of players to engage each other without slowdown problems and performance issues and directly tie your performance to your stat boosts through rankings.

Essentially, instanced PVP would be very similar to PVP in BF2.

This would naturally be a pretty dramatic change, especially removing gears effect on your stats and performance. Instanced PVP would become a brand new animal.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for reading.

unicornfive
09.16.2013 , 02:53 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by LordArtemis View Post
I was thinking about this...how can you improve PVP, increase the balance pass frequency and increase the fun and approachability?

What comes to mind is BF2 once again. After taking a peek at the SSSP GUI, I started to get the idea that there might be a way to drastically alter the way that PVP is played in this game.

Let's say the following changes were made...

1) The mechanic for PVP is completely replaced. You get a new simplified GUI that has a single bar with 5 or 6 abilities on a single bar at the bottom and simple controls.

2) Your stats are completely based on Expertise, which is effected by level and performance in PVP (ranking), and can rise and fall depending on that performance. Your gear no longer determines your stats.

3) Models for your toon are simplified, polys removed, much more basic models used to promote the ability for larger amounts of folks to PVP together.

The idea, by doing this would be to allow balance changes to PVP which do not effect PVE in any way, allow a much more approachable and intuitive PVP system for instanced PVP, allow large groups of players to engage each other without slowdown problems and performance issues and directly tie your performance to your stat boosts through rankings.

Essentially, instanced PVP would be very similar to PVP in BF2.

This would naturally be a pretty dramatic change, especially removing gears effect on your stats and performance. Instanced PVP would become a brand new animal.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for reading.

Νο. This will make the allready boring and repetitive pvp farm, much more boring.

Again no here. I want to have diversity in my stats. The stats and the alacrity changes are 1 of the things i liked.

This actually sounds good. But i think it allready exists in game. When you move camera further, the detail greatly drops. The polygons turn into "blur". Something that warhammer online had. But i dont think thats the problem they face with increased lag in overcrowded areas.

Everyone can do that from performance options. But again i dont think thats the problem that causes lag.
For example me on ilum, with medium graphics i had no lag problems, while my friend with better pc than mine, had insane lag on both low and very high settings.

In general, the changes you propose, allready exist in other mmos, like DCUO and Guild Wars 2. I dont think we need another clone of those. And i dont think they gonna save SWTOR.

LordArtemis
09.16.2013 , 03:06 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by unicornfive View Post

Νο. This will make the allready boring and repetitive pvp farm, much more boring.

Again no here. I want to have diversity in my stats. The stats and the alacrity changes are 1 of the things i liked.

This actually sounds good. But i think it allready exists in game. When you move camera further, the detail greatly drops. The polygons turn into "blur". Something that warhammer online had. But i dont think thats the problem they face with increased lag in overcrowded areas.

Everyone can do that from performance options. But again i dont think thats the problem that causes lag.
For example me on ilum, with medium graphics i had no lag problems, while my friend with better pc than mine, had insane lag on both low and very high settings.

In general, the changes you propose, allready exist in other mmos, like DCUO and Guild Wars 2. I dont think we need another clone of those. And i dont think they gonna save SWTOR.
I appreciate the feedback, even if you and I do not agree. But we do seem to agree on one thing...the changes I propose are very similar to DCUO and GW2.

I would even add DAoC into that list...and that is my actual goal. GW2 and DAoC are often cited as the best mainstream MMOs for PVP. I believe there is a reason for that, and a reason they both have a very large PVP community compared to other games like this one.