Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Mace Windu's Choice on the Masters in EP III

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Mace Windu's Choice on the Masters in EP III

Slowpokeking's Avatar


Slowpokeking
09.04.2013 , 06:55 PM | #1
According to the novel, the ones he picked were the best swordsmen on Coruscant. However both in the novel and the movie, they were killed by Palpatine quickly. I really think they didn't form a efficient team. Palpatine killed 2 easily before they were able to make any useful moves. Looks like the small space of the office, even limited their moves.

Saesee Tiin and Agen Kolar's Form were not known, Fisto is Shii-Cho, which is not good in dueling.

I think he should have picked Shaak Ti because her Makashi is good in lightsaber combat and does not require big space to use. Mace Windu should serve as the "tank", use his Vaapad to meet head on head with Palpatine, when the rest of them try to find chances to take him down.

Wolfninjajedi's Avatar


Wolfninjajedi
09.04.2013 , 07:21 PM | #2
It still wouldn't have mattered, whoever he took had no chance against Palpatine. In fact none of them did, Mace only survived due to Vapaad without that he would have been squashed like the others.
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.

Slowpokeking's Avatar


Slowpokeking
09.04.2013 , 07:22 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Wolfninjajedi View Post
It still wouldn't have mattered, whoever he took had no chance against Palpatine. In fact none of them did, Mace only survived due to Vapaad without that he would have been squashed like the others.
Mace could use his Vapaad to block Sidious' attack, draw his focus so others would have chance to attack Palpatine. That's what a team is.

Aurbere's Avatar


Aurbere
09.04.2013 , 07:24 PM | #4
Mace Windu picked a team that he had worked with on other occasions during the war. However, the ROTS Visual Dictionary points out that Mace likely would have chosen Obi-Wan Kenobi, Qui-Gon Jinn, and Yoda if they were available.

However, any Jedi other than him and Yoda are literally fodder for Sidious. The situation, the environment, and Sidious being Sidious would have resulted in the same event if he had brought anybody else that was not Yoda.
Added Chapter 29 to The Shadows Fall
"You felt it; the power of hate. The power of the Dark Side. Your eyes are opened. You see now. The power burns more brightly, stronger on the Dark Side. Despite what the Council had taught you, you now know the truth."- Count Dooku

Slowpokeking's Avatar


Slowpokeking
09.04.2013 , 07:28 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Aurbere View Post
Mace Windu picked a team that he had worked with on other occasions during the war. However, the ROTS Visual Dictionary points out that Mace likely would have chosen Obi-Wan Kenobi, Qui-Gon Jinn, and Yoda if they were available.

However, any Jedi other than him and Yoda are literally fodder for Sidious. The situation, the environment, and Sidious being Sidious would have resulted in the same event if he had brought anybody else that was not Yoda.
This team would not work well at all.

Qui Gon Jinn and Yoda both uses Ataru, which require great space, but the office is too small for 5 people to fight, especially they could not hurt others. It would greatly limit their moves. Not enough space was one of the reasons Qui Gon got killed by Maul. Obi Wan's Soresu is only good for defense, so it would not help much either when the other 3 could not form efficient attack against Sidious due to the space.

Windu could take a fight with Sidious, so he should come forward and protect the others, gave them time to retreat and counterattack, they were a team, not going 1 by 1.

Aurbere's Avatar


Aurbere
09.04.2013 , 07:34 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
This team would not work well at all.

Qui Gon Jinn and Yoda both uses Ataru, which require great space, but the office is too small for 5 people to fight, especially they could not hurt others. It would greatly limit their moves. Not enough space was one of the reasons Qui Gon got killed by Maul.

Windu could take a fight with Sidious, so he should come forward and protect the others, gave them time to retreat and counterattack, they were a team, not going 1 by 1.
I never said the team was good, just that the Dictionary implies that that team would be his go to team if they were available.

The battle would go the same way no matter who he brought with him unless he brought Yoda. George Lucas practically stated this.
Added Chapter 29 to The Shadows Fall
"You felt it; the power of hate. The power of the Dark Side. Your eyes are opened. You see now. The power burns more brightly, stronger on the Dark Side. Despite what the Council had taught you, you now know the truth."- Count Dooku

Slowpokeking's Avatar


Slowpokeking
09.04.2013 , 07:38 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Aurbere View Post
I never said the team was good, just that the Dictionary implies that that team would be his go to team if they were available.

The battle would go the same way no matter who he brought with him unless he brought Yoda. George Lucas practically stated this.
Not if he could choose the right tactic, all he needs to do is stick with Sidious, try to block his attack whenever Sidious tried to attack anyone, at the same time the others will attack Sidious from different angle, force him to defend. It's like a tank+DPS group.

Aurbere's Avatar


Aurbere
09.04.2013 , 07:43 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
Not if he could choose the right tactic, all he needs to do is stick with Sidious, try to block his attack whenever Sidious tried to attack anyone, at the same time the others will attack Sidious from different angle, force him to defend. It's like a tank+DPS group.
Assuming that the team was properly prepared, but then that didn't help the B-Team.
Added Chapter 29 to The Shadows Fall
"You felt it; the power of hate. The power of the Dark Side. Your eyes are opened. You see now. The power burns more brightly, stronger on the Dark Side. Despite what the Council had taught you, you now know the truth."- Count Dooku

Beniboybling's Avatar


Beniboybling
09.05.2013 , 05:04 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
Not if he could choose the right tactic, all he needs to do is stick with Sidious, try to block his attack whenever Sidious tried to attack anyone, at the same time the others will attack Sidious from different angle, force him to defend. It's like a tank+DPS group.
If Windu attempted to defend his allies while fighting Sidious he would over-extend himself and likely get himself killed. Regardless the outcome would have been the same. The first few Jedi were felled simply because they did not react fast enough, no other Jedi accept Yoda and perhaps Kenobi would have fared any better against Sidious Force speed.

By this point Fisto and Windu had gotten their act together and took on Sidious simultaneously, Fisto's more defensive posture allowed him to take the brunt of Sidious' assault and Windu attack him at the same time, but despite this Sidious still managed to kill Fisto.

If what your suggesting happened, Sidious would have fended off Windu while felling the surrounding Jedi one by one, because they simply could not compete with his skill. I also wouldn't attempt to draw comparisons with game mechanics, it doesn't transfer, because Sidious would force the duel on his own terms, not theirs.

Slowpokeking's Avatar


Slowpokeking
09.05.2013 , 09:53 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Beniboybling View Post
If Windu attempted to defend his allies while fighting Sidious he would over-extend himself and likely get himself killed. Regardless the outcome would have been the same. The first few Jedi were felled simply because they did not react fast enough, no other Jedi accept Yoda and perhaps Kenobi would have fared any better against Sidious Force speed.

By this point Fisto and Windu had gotten their act together and took on Sidious simultaneously, Fisto's more defensive posture allowed him to take the brunt of Sidious' assault and Windu attack him at the same time, but despite this Sidious still managed to kill Fisto.

If what your suggesting happened, Sidious would have fended off Windu while felling the surrounding Jedi one by one, because they simply could not compete with his skill. I also wouldn't attempt to draw comparisons with game mechanics, it doesn't transfer, because Sidious would force the duel on his own terms, not theirs.
No, his Vaapad could reflect Sidious' power, including strength and speed. At the same time the others would attack Sidious when Windu draw his focus. Windu didn't attack Sidious, he chose to dodge, thus gave Sidious the chance to kill Fisto.

It's not a one on one battle, it's teamwork.