Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

KOTOR on Windows 8

Bomyne
07.10.2013 , 08:49 AM | #21
KOTOR was optimized for Windows XP, I believe... It doesn't work well in Vista, 7 or 8.

Best solution is to either ask EA to authorize Bioware to make a 10th anniversary celebration patch that brings it to Windows 7/8.

But for now, the best solution is to use Windows compatibility. Set it to XP.

AlexDougherty
07.11.2013 , 05:17 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Bomyne View Post
KOTOR was optimized for Windows XP, I believe... It doesn't work well in Vista, 7 or 8.

Best solution is to either ask EA to authorize Bioware to make a 10th anniversary celebration patch that brings it to Windows 7/8.

But for now, the best solution is to use Windows compatibility. Set it to XP.
They already did that for Vista and windows 7, both in Disc form and Steam download, it's just Windows 8 that isn't supported now, which kind of sucks for some people.

About the compatability mode issue from other posts, that might depend on which version of Windows 8 it is, if it's like Windows 7 then only the ultimate edition has the compatability mode, and it probably costs in the £800 or more to upgrade.
Peace can be found, above all passions. Through passion, I may gain strength.
Through strength, I may gain power. Through power, I may gain victory.
But for every enemy fallen, a new foe rises.
For every chain broken, new chains bind me. Only the Force can set me free.

Vroop
08.12.2013 , 12:48 PM | #23
I am having an issue where KOTOR crashes after playing it for a few minutes. I have tried running in compatibility mode for XP SP2 and am running as admin. I installed the game through my Star Wars Best of PC collection. System specs are as follows

WIndows 8
Intel Quad Core i7 4700HQ 2.4 GHz (Auto clocks up to 3.2 GHz)
Nvidea Geforce GTX 765M 2 GB GDDR5 Memory
12 GB RAM DDR3

Any help would be appreciated.

Selenial
08.12.2013 , 01:53 PM | #24
Hate to say it, but the best way to play these games is on Steam, they're both a few $, really cheap, and I've never had bugs with the steam versions.

The Kotor 2 disked didn't work, even with the modders online than made files to fix it ( though it worked with the first game) but steam worked immediately...
We all live or die as Krayt wills, Stryfe. At his word, I would cut out my own heart. Or yours.
Celéna Mercenary Cathinka Seeliara Sage

Colton_
08.31.2013 , 03:10 PM | #25
So am I hopeless? Maybe I'll take a look at Steam.
Quote: Originally Posted by Revan
Who I am is not important, my message is.

ZirusZero
08.31.2013 , 08:09 PM | #26
KOTOR works perfectly for me on windows 7 via steam. However, the disk versions do have some problems. I had to rebuy BF2 because the disk version wouldn't install.
Quote: Originally Posted by CommunityDroidEN View Post
After our Shenanigans radar sounded off, we quickly hurried to this thread to see what was going on. Upon inspection of the reported Shenanigans, we have removed a few posts to prevent further Shenanigans from taking place.