Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Crit/Surge: Who should use it, and who shouldn't?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Crit/Surge: Who should use it, and who shouldn't?

AzlanWhite
08.29.2013 , 04:48 AM | #1
Greetings all.

As we all might already know, crit got nerfed to a soft cap of 25% in 2.0, and yeah it resulted me in going full power for my non-tanking toons ignoring crit/surge entirely (though I still stick to main stat augs for the main stat boost in talent tree)

Was going good until I start levelling sorc heals and a guildie told me crit is of importance due to our talent tree, which I tend to believe it's true after doing some read ups on my part.

Now the question is, which specs and classes are safe for full power build? And which are dependent on the "balanced" 25% crit/75% surge build?

OlosBC
08.29.2013 , 08:13 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by AzlanWhite View Post
Greetings all.

As we all might already know, crit got nerfed to a soft cap of 25% in 2.0, and yeah it resulted me in going full power for my non-tanking toons ignoring crit/surge entirely (though I still stick to main stat augs for the main stat boost in talent tree)

Was going good until I start levelling sorc heals and a guildie told me crit is of importance due to our talent tree, which I tend to believe it's true after doing some read ups on my part.

Now the question is, which specs and classes are safe for full power build? And which are dependent on the "balanced" 25% crit/75% surge build?

Crit doesn't have a "soft cap", it is just that since 2.0, most classes have gotten more benefit out of power point for point because of the relative values of stats.

Crit is not needed more for sorc heals than for other specs. You should be getting plenty of procs to do all the regency you need without having a ton of crit.

Crit will get more valuable as we go up in gear tiers, as crit is a multiplicative factor, while power is additive. Several specs are starting to want some crit in Kell dragon and a little bit is not overly bad for most in underworld.
Olos - 55 Hybrid Powertech
Fonia - 55 Madness Sorceror
<Dark Fury> of Jedi Covenant
Previously Fonia and Daygoru of Tempest server in SWG.

Gyronamics
08.30.2013 , 04:05 AM | #3
Low -mid 200 crit has been optimal since 2.0

The maximum crit possible is fairly pointless since it's a long way before that that power overtakes crit.
Hotwired @ Not Good Enough @ ToFN

oofalong
08.30.2013 , 08:25 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by AzlanWhite View Post
Greetings all.

Three elements comprise your crit chance:
  • Base value of 5%, plus static buffs such as the Smuggler/Imperial Agent and additive skill tree talents. These benefits are irrspective of any other stat.
  • Critical Rating
  • Primary (& Alternate Primary) Stat

The last two (or three) elements have unique equations popularly called diminishing returns or DR. The asymtote or hard cap for Crit Rating is 30% and Primary stat's contribution to crit chance is 20%. What changed in 2.0 were the underlying coefficients in these equations. This made the curve flatter, which means it takes significantly more crit rating to achieve the a desired crit chance. DPS specs are more sensitive to this as Power typically provides a higher increase in damage. Healers are less sensitive as their return on Power is lower. This, of course, is also complicated as some talent tree award free critical bonus percentages or surge and/or increased crit chance on main abilities. This also means there is no general target crit rating level. You need to examine spec-by-spec to find the right information. I'd suggest going into the specific Advanced Class (and their mirrors) Forums to ask the question for the characters you want to know about.
Prophecy of the Five Are you Committed to SWTOR?
Read my Theorycrafting Articles on Dulfy.net
Confused by all of the Proc Relics? Read my new and improved relic explanation.
See the best of the best on the Operations Leaderboards
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
You are correct Oofalong.

KevMeup
08.30.2013 , 12:46 PM | #5
For Sorc heals, you can't crit on a bubble, only power helps it, so Power > Crit for them. Your inervate will proc enough if you have your rotation down and practice.

For anything else, power is usually better than crit, but if you've got some better quality crit/X enhancements, you can use those till you get the power version. Since FPs drop optimized Crit/Surge and Crit/Alacrity. Only set pieces from Ops drop the Optimized Power/X enhancements.

Even the devs admit there is a problem with crit right now, it's not performing as it should and you won't get the benefits that you will with power in 90% of the cases.

My operative is using all high power mods and crit/surge or crit/alacrity enhancements and I passed all his optimized Power ones to my sorc for healing, saved a lot of cash and the heals for both are top notch.
Kevgent - GuildMaster of <Show Me Your Crits> - The Harbinger
Like Us On Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/smycs
Always Recruiting | Companion Guide | PVP Tanking Guide