Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Tank newb questions.

Turtletoad
08.28.2013 , 03:01 PM | #1
I have a level 55 sin tank and wondering, when doing fp/ops/heroics should every mob be attacking me or is it ok to let some slip past and have 1 attacking the dps.

Thundernuts
08.28.2013 , 03:47 PM | #2
Depends entirely on the situation and your role. If it's trash, that's one thing. If you're main tanking and the fight calls for the off tank to grab mobs then that's another thing. The same thing applies if you're the off tank. Every fight is different.
THUNDERNÜTS TITO - Guardian Tank
PROPHECY OF THE FIVE

dipstik
08.28.2013 , 04:32 PM | #3
depends on the pull.

if there are 2 elites, 3 stongs and 4 weak, then 2 weak going after dps/heals is going to happen. if you are an off tank, its your job to pick those up and try to get threat on ones the dps are attacking that the main tank isnt taking care of. any mob that isnt being attacked by one of the tanks is most likey going to get on a healer.

wetslampigduex
08.29.2013 , 07:32 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by dipstik View Post
depends on the pull.

if there are 2 elites, 3 stongs and 4 weak, then 2 weak going after dps/heals is going to happen. if you are an off tank, its your job to pick those up and try to get threat on ones the dps are attacking that the main tank isnt taking care of. any mob that isnt being attacked by one of the tanks is most likey going to get on a healer.
Dip's pretty much right on, but if you have dps that don't follow kill order it makes life a pain in the butt. Their is maybe 2/3 pulls in the game where it isn't possible for the tank to agro every mob in a pull. Just focus on keeping threat on all the stronger targets. If you get to the end of pulls and the last thing alive is a normal mob, you just have ignorant dps and it's really not your problem. If it's becoming a problem with the healer or dps taking a lot of DMG and they begin to say you're at fault, just tell them weak>strong im doing my job could you please do yours. Those weak mobs die in 1/2 GCD and should be the first things dead. Nothing is more irritating then jumping in throwing an attack or two on a gold while moving and rounding up all the weaker mobs and the gold takes off towards the dps, thinking just cause he has some gear he can kill the big boy first.That being said don't have tunnel vision and don't become ignorant yourself.

Also make sure you don't blow your taunts right off the bat, leap/sprint in, throw out a couple AoE attacks then use your taunts.

AAAAzrael
08.29.2013 , 09:18 AM | #5
In FP's when I'm on my shadow main I try tank everything and I mostly succeed. Sometimes it requires very careful positioning and use of force pull, telekinetic wave and other tools. In ops we usually have our targets divided with co-tank and nothing gets left untanked. Apart from rare exception I do not really leave mobs for DPS to kill untanked unless specifically agreed or planned. Sometimes guardian DPS we have in a group will take one mob and deal with it, or even taunt it but that's rare exception (I remember one time in Op IX HM when we resorted to that for some reason, not sure why now).
When I'm on my guardian I feel more limited in options to hit everything and sometimes I will leave some weaks or normals for DPS to kill first. Most good healers can deal with 1 or two as well when they get to them damaged and barely alive. Actually one of the biggest concerns with healer players I have is when they keep shouting on DPS "I have an add on me" and I see them healing themselves from Titan-6 add that is like on 1% health instead of killing it with one attack
Anyway my point is - as a matter of training it's worth to try and tank everything and not use taunts unless extremely necessary. When I levelled my second tank in FP's I tried to tank everything even without AOE's and AOE taunt and mostly I could do it in SM levelling FP's. It's very taxing but possible. It will only help you later in operations
Ingalaarn Conqueror of the Dread Fortress / Ji'kiley Deposer of the Dread Masters
Joshased From Beyond / Dread Slayer Xartanol
Manticore @ The Red Eclipse

KevMeup
08.29.2013 , 03:01 PM | #6
Do your best to hold agro on all the mobs, but focus on the larger ones first and protecting the healer. It's fine if some slip through as long as they don't cause a wipe or a lot of pain for the rest of the group.

The biggest thing for trash is to make sure you get some damage on them first before popping your AOE taunt and they will stick to you much better.

Although it's PT focused, theres some more tips here for trash and bosses:
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=674802
Kevgent - GuildMaster of <Show Me Your Crits> - The Harbinger
Like Us On Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/smycs
Always Recruiting | Companion Guide