Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Setup not working

mtylerdeb
12.23.2011 , 02:27 AM | #1
I downloaded the game client, and every time i click SWTOR setup, it will start up, then immediatly skip to the end and vanish. It just goes away, it's not even running anymor. What should i do?

Tyberioun
12.24.2011 , 03:25 AM | #2
For those of you who hit the same problem as me where the SWTOR installer just immediately quits instead of installing the game, I've found that the following works just fine:

1. Install an app that lets you extract .rar files. I prefer 7-zip myself.
2. Extract the contents of the installer .exe file. (With 7-zip, just right-click the "SWTOR_setup.exe" file and choose 7-zip -> 'Extract to "SWTOR_setup\"'.)
3. In the set of extracted files and folders, there will be an "swtor.rar" file about 27.3MB large. Extract the contents of this. (With 7-zip, just right-click the "swtor.rar" file and choose 7-zip -> 'Extract to "swtor\"'.) You can ignore the other swtor0.rar, swtor1.rar, etc. files.
4. Go to whatever folder you extracted "swtor.rar" to, and Select All, then Copy.
5. Make a folder where you wish to install SWTOR. (Personally, I went to "D:/Program Files (x86)/" and just created the directory "/SWToR/". The actual location doesn't really matter.)
6. Go to that folder and Paste all the files and folders that you copied in Step #4.

That's it. The application that you want to run to play SWTOR is "Launcher.exe", so you can create a shortcut to it on your Desktop or wherever you wish and even rename the shortcut to "Star Wars--The Old Republic" or whatever.

The only drawback (that I've seen so far) is that you will not have access to an automated Uninstaller. So if you ever wish to uninstall the game in the future then you will need to manually delete the folder that you just created, and also manually delete all local cache and settings within /Users/<username>/AppData/Local/SWTOR/.

Xyvilii
12.27.2011 , 06:07 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Tyberioun View Post
For those of you who hit the same problem as me where the SWTOR installer just immediately quits instead of installing the game, I've found that the following works just fine:

1. Install an app that lets you extract .rar files. I prefer 7-zip myself.
2. Extract the contents of the installer .exe file. (With 7-zip, just right-click the "SWTOR_setup.exe" file and choose 7-zip -> 'Extract to "SWTOR_setup\"'.)
3. In the set of extracted files and folders, there will be an "swtor.rar" file about 27.3MB large. Extract the contents of this. (With 7-zip, just right-click the "swtor.rar" file and choose 7-zip -> 'Extract to "swtor\"'.) You can ignore the other swtor0.rar, swtor1.rar, etc. files.
4. Go to whatever folder you extracted "swtor.rar" to, and Select All, then Copy.
5. Make a folder where you wish to install SWTOR. (Personally, I went to "D:/Program Files (x86)/" and just created the directory "/SWToR/". The actual location doesn't really matter.)
6. Go to that folder and Paste all the files and folders that you copied in Step #4.

That's it. The application that you want to run to play SWTOR is "Launcher.exe", so you can create a shortcut to it on your Desktop or wherever you wish and even rename the shortcut to "Star Wars--The Old Republic" or whatever.

The only drawback (that I've seen so far) is that you will not have access to an automated Uninstaller. So if you ever wish to uninstall the game in the future then you will need to manually delete the folder that you just created, and also manually delete all local cache and settings within /Users/<username>/AppData/Local/SWTOR/.
This works perfectly, thanks!

BadBits
12.27.2011 , 07:06 PM | #4
Thank you

Vulkrum
12.27.2011 , 10:26 PM | #5
Hey I did all of those things but when the login screen for SWTOR comes up it says at the top that I need to wait for the launcher to update. Did this happen to anyone else? If so, how long did you have to wait because I went to the movie theater to see a movie and i came back and it's still saying this.

ElvisRayne
12.28.2011 , 05:16 AM | #6
THANK YOU MUCH, I don't think I did it exactly like you said but it still worked.

Locustar
01.06.2012 , 06:05 AM | #7
The culprit for me was having FRAPS running. I closed it and the setup worked. Try close any non-essential programs.

HappyBudda
01.10.2012 , 12:49 AM | #8
The workaround suggested only produced a temporary solution for me. The launcher basically had me download the stuff online rather than installing it from my discs (I got the collectors edition). After downloading and installing everything the game works, but every time I exit the game and log back in the whole downloading cycle starts again - the launcher downloads everything again, from "English Video 1" to "Main Assets", etc.

Doing this every time before playing is extremely inconvenient and time consuming. I would appreciate it if someone could help me out with this issue.

dcidral
01.29.2012 , 11:38 AM | #9
Hello there!

I did a bit simple than Tyberioun, using some tips from him. I'll show my steps:

1. Download SWTOR_setup, and paste it to Desktop;
2. Using a extractor such 7zip(r), right click and choose "Extract to SWTOR_setup\";
3. Open the folder and double-click "Setup";
4. The installer will proceed normally.

Before the installation, I also removed all Microsoft C++ apps from Control Panel. In my desktop, just this solved the installation.

Hope it works!

"Do or Do not. There is no try."

itsug
05.21.2014 , 07:28 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Locustar View Post
The culprit for me was having FRAPS running. I closed it and the setup worked. Try close any non-essential programs.
farfetched as hell, but worked!
Cheers!