Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

PVP 8 vs 8 Matchmaking system

Jorojus
08.16.2013 , 06:48 AM | #1
I've seen in the search that there are several topics about people saying that we need a matchmaking system but without much support or discussion about them, I am gonna place a suggestion here of how a matchmaking system could be implemented for the normal warzones and based on wich criteria.

First of all I am not a programmer or anything of the sort, so I am just trying to think of a possible system, I have no idea if its possible to program a matchmaking system the way I describe it.

Feel free to add improvements or changes to the system I am suggesting. If you don't have anything to add, just don't. When someone adds something worhtwile I will edit this starting post

A) Matchmaking system for 8 vs 8 normal warzones.

Firstly I suggest some changes / additions to the game that need to take in place before a matchmaking system could work properly:

1. There has to come a rating system that gives players a rating based on the system that was in work for ranked warzones. This rating goes in effect after x amount of played warzones and starts counting / changing based on the opponents overall rating and your own teams overall rating and changes after every win or loss.

2. Implement role selection to the PVP Que like you can do in the groupfinder for Flashpoints/Operations. An addition to selecting roles would be to pick one primary role and an option to pick a secondary role wich the system could use in case not enough roles are available in the primary role selections to create a role balanced game.

3. Add Dual spec to the game. Make it so that every player can pre-select his skill points for TWO different specs.

4. Create a system where players can choose between 1 of the specs they have in their Dual spec pre-set BUT only at the start of a warzone.

5. Not really needed but can be considered for more balanced games, allow mixed faction warzones on low activity times.

Now for the matchmaking system itself:

- The system creates a warzone as soon as enough players are queed
- The system places all players in a ranking table according to their rating
- The system searches for Tanks first and places the tank with the highest rating in team A, the tank with the second highest rating goes in team B. Third highest rating tank goes in team B, Fourth one goes in team A.
- Next same order for healers.
- Next balance out dps based on rating.

- If there are not enough tanks/healers/dps available, the system would have to automatically scratch out certain roles for both teams, but always so that each team has the same amount of healers/tanks and dps.

- If four players queed as a group, the system should make it so that there is another four man pre-made in the other team.
The Progenitor
Shin'ju - Operative / Kor'n - Juggernaut / Lissa'nana - Sith sorcerer
Booya - Powertech Moderated swtor forum opening in 2014.
Wea_relegion_swtor

GatorAndy
08.16.2013 , 07:23 AM | #2
Is this for rated warzones or all of them? Have you checked out the changes coming in 2.4? Because some of what you suggest is being addressed. For one thing, 8v8 ranked WZs are going away, to be replaced with the new 4v4 arena ranked system.

Jorojus
08.16.2013 , 12:26 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by GatorAndy View Post
Is this for rated warzones or all of them? Have you checked out the changes coming in 2.4? Because some of what you suggest is being addressed. For one thing, 8v8 ranked WZs are going away, to be replaced with the new 4v4 arena ranked system.
There is no more ranked 8 vs 8 and I know that the solo rated arenas will work similarly. 8 vs 8 normal warzones have always been full on random, with no separation of roles or separating players based on some rating. Now if they can do it for 4 vs 4 why not implementing it for 8 vs 8 aswell ?
The Progenitor
Wea_relegion_swtor

GatorAndy
08.16.2013 , 04:03 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Jorojus View Post
There is no more ranked 8 vs 8 and I know that the solo rated arenas will work similarly. 8 vs 8 normal warzones have always been full on random, with no separation of roles or separating players based on some rating. Now if they can do it for 4 vs 4 why not implementing it for 8 vs 8 aswell ?
Ah, Ok. Was just trying to clarify. I would think this may lead to longer queue times for "casual" WZs. Wouldn't it?

Jorojus
08.18.2013 , 02:58 PM | #5
Its like the system for arenas, just throw 2 arena matchups together and you got an evenly roled + evenly rated 8 vs 8 matchup.

Que times are more affected by population then by a decent matchmaking system.
The Progenitor
Wea_relegion_swtor

Benets
08.18.2013 , 05:33 PM | #6
First thing they should do, is proply balance this game. While its not balance, not even close to balance so all ideas about matchmaking is usless. This type of solution is only cos' they can't balance (or don't want) so need artificial things like limit heal, limit class or other stuff.
- "Do or do not, there's no try" -
Benets
aka
Mxyzptlk