Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

4v4: problems with acid pit and turtle comp

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
4v4: problems with acid pit and turtle comp
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

ManiacDavis
08.15.2013 , 11:48 AM | #51
Quote: Originally Posted by znihilist View Post
Wait did he not say that the compositions of the teams will be similar ? Or was that strictly for solo queuing ?
This was strictly solo q. 4 man premades are free to choose any composition.
Man-iac - The Only Commando Left Standing
http://www.twitch.tv/rrmaniac

DkSharktooth
08.15.2013 , 11:49 AM | #52
Quote: Originally Posted by ManiacDavis View Post
Everyone will die as a result of the acid. The acid does DMG as a % of Hp so the last alive will win. Thus in order to win, you need to incur more DMG on the opposing team then you incur yourself to outlive the acid.
Well in that case, I hope force barrier and undying rage do not work against acid clouds.

ManiacDavis
08.15.2013 , 11:57 AM | #53
Quote: Originally Posted by DkSharktooth View Post
Well in that case, I hope force barrier and undying rage do not work against acid clouds.
The acid ignores all defensive cool downs and stats. It will always apply the same DMG based upon % of total health.

znihilist
08.15.2013 , 11:58 AM | #54
Oh no, we are not going there!
That means every single damage reduction ability in the game whether it is passive or active will have to be disabled, no nitpicking here!

Edit: Did not mean it as CDs can affect the damage, so nevermind it.
SWTOR: KotFE, Rise of the Can't Talk About it Now.

Xanas
08.15.2013 , 12:09 PM | #55
Quote: Originally Posted by AlexModny View Post
Sorry everyone, I did a bad and left out a key factor in the Sudden Death gas effect. You won't receive any healing while in the gas.

So to sum up the gas effects are:
  1. Takes the character out of stealth
  2. Places the character in combat
  3. Places a Damage-over-Time effect on the character that deal % of Health damage every tick
  4. Prevents the character from receiving healing effects

Theory craft away!
lol so I got it right when I said the gas should prevent healing

AlexModny
08.15.2013 , 12:10 PM | #56 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Quote: Originally Posted by ManiacDavis View Post
Everyone will die as a result of the acid. The acid does DMG as a % of Hp so the last alive will win. Thus in order to win, you need to incur more DMG on the opposing team then you incur yourself to outlive the acid.

This is correct.

They won't.
Alex Modny | Assistant Designer
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.] [Dev Tracker]

Xanas
08.15.2013 , 12:14 PM | #57
Man I can't w8 for the update. Its going to be awesome for PvP.

AlexModny
08.15.2013 , 12:16 PM | #58 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Quote: Originally Posted by DimeStax View Post
As you can see from this thread, teams are already strategizing on how to use the Acid to gain an advantage.

No matter the system, PvE, PvP, character creation, players will theory craft and strategize on how to use it to gain an advantage. That player interaction with the system is one of the great things about games, be them video, board or what-have-you.

As far as what we are doing to make sure Arena matches don't become turtle fests, all I will say is that we will find out plenty this weekend on how teams and players are playing the matches and go from there.
Alex Modny | Assistant Designer
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.] [Dev Tracker]

Akuryu
08.15.2013 , 12:19 PM | #59
My concern is that a team of stealths could use the acid as a weapon. They could stealth around and sap to kill time until it comes out, then pull/push/cc etc the other team in the acid. A team of stealth healers and tanks wouldn't have much damage, but if they stall long enough they could potentially let the acid do the work for them.

Acid aside, stealth just seems like too powerful a weapon for this type of combat. I think a team of 4 stealths will rule the arena. 2 DPS sins, a tank sin (perhaps in dps gear) and an op healer. gg

ManiacDavis
08.15.2013 , 12:31 PM | #60
Quote: Originally Posted by Akuryu View Post
My concern is that a team of stealths could use the acid as a weapon. They could stealth around and sap to kill time until it comes out, then pull/push/cc etc the other team in the acid. A team of stealth healers and tanks wouldn't have much damage, but if they stall long enough they could potentially let the acid do the work for them.

Acid aside, stealth just seems like too powerful a weapon for this type of combat. I think a team of 4 stealths will rule the arena. 2 DPS sins, a tank sin (perhaps in dps gear) and an op healer. gg
The dev blog does a good job explaining that the acid prevents stealth and healing. The sudden death will come down to who does the most DMG given the many escapes and gap closers many classes have. With that said, if I am in a game that reaches sudden death, I have already failed. In the majority of games, sudden death will not occur.