Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Developer Update: Warzone Arenas

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Developer Update: Warzone Arenas
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

GalaxyStrong
08.14.2013 , 03:23 PM | #291
This all seems really great but, one thing. I WANT TO BE ABLE TO WATCH OTHER PEOPLE FIGHT. When I think of an arena I also think of SPECTATORS. I think many people would enjoy the idea of traveling to Tatooine and then go to the arena and watch the fights LIVE ( I know I would).

Just a Thought
RESPECT THE EMPIRE!!!
Or YOUR A DEAD-MAN

chrisolei
08.14.2013 , 03:34 PM | #292
New hutball!! Yesss
Ham the Solo

Its a trap!

Projawa
08.14.2013 , 03:36 PM | #293
What's the downside to leaving 8v8 ranked queue as an option? Sure, most players will ignore it in favor of 4v4 but why not leave it in as is so guilds have options as to what they want to do?

Is it technical, UI related, having to implement and track separate rankings? One less thing to add to season 1? Not having to factor 8v8 into class balance changes?

I'm not a dedicated pvper though I am curious to which reasons beyond those mentioned in the article went into this decision.

Also, will the beginning of season 1 also introduce a ladder page on swtor.com that displays the top ranked characters per server?

Baalzamon
08.14.2013 , 03:41 PM | #294
SPECTATOR MODE would be really great for this to.

AlexModny
08.14.2013 , 03:45 PM | #295 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Quote: Originally Posted by CrygonFreeze View Post
Alex,

One question I don't think I saw in this long thread is will there be stats displayed after each match like 8-man warzones such as overall DPS, Heals, Protection, etc.?
Stats will be displayed after every round and at the end of the match. You will also be able to tab to previous rounds or see a match total. Another cool addition is Adv Class icons will be displayed on the scoreboard instead of base class icons from now on.
Alex Modny | Assistant Designer
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.] [Dev Tracker]

JestersRevenge
08.14.2013 , 03:45 PM | #296
Quote: Originally Posted by CourtneyWoods View Post
"We are sad to see it go but the truth is that because of many factors not enough people played them and we didn’t support them well enough, so they are going away for now. Getting eight friends together and hoping another eight people are doing the same at the exact same time AND your two teams were equally matched was a nightmare for the players. It is possible that Ranked 8v8 Warzones will come back at a later time if we can solve some of the problems with them and if the population is there to support them."

We will now be focusing 4v4 Ranked Arenas, but as the blog says that doesn't mean Ranked 8v8 Warzones are off the table forever. But not until we can solve the issues around them.
True, they could've been better supported, but the Ranked community will take them in their current state over deletion for any length of time. It may have been difficult to organize matches, but with transfers to PvP servers, the queues pop regularly. It's a case of taking the lesser evil over the greater. Let the hardcore community worry about those logistics because I can guarantee the uproar over their removal will far outweigh the inconvenience of organizing a team. The reasons you are providing are the ones that community will gladly bear. If there are other resource related reasons, then be honest with your subscribers and tell us. Otherwise, the reasons above are not good enough for their removal, especially as they don't affect you in the slightest and only hurt the community you're attempting to help.

MrMoscow
08.14.2013 , 03:48 PM | #297
As a strictly PVP player, this is some of the worst news I've heard in a long time. I was really excited for arenas, but NOT AS A REPLACEMENT FOR 8v8! I just spent a large sum of money moving my characters to Prophecy of the Five in order to play 8v8 ranked warzones only to hear the next week that those are being flushed down the drain. I understand that a lot of people are not participating in ranked 8v8 warzones, but why remove the option of doing them at all? I just don't understand.

In addition, F2P people playing warzones now? Now people are going to have to carry a bunch of people through warzones who have no idea what they are doing whatsoever.

I'm assuming for fairness PVE players are going to have any flashpoints and operations that aren't new removed from the game and they will have to queue for operations with F2P people as well even if they have 8 or 16 man groups willing to go.

This is a giant slap in the face to the PVP community. Limiting our already limited options is not the way to go.
Xaney - MercenaryXani - Sorcerer
Zani - Operative Xaní - Marauder
Inaz - Juggernaught Zaně - Sniper
Inax - Assassin Xanie - Powertech

KingofGob
08.14.2013 , 03:50 PM | #298
If Bioware is admitting that one of the major failure points for Ranked Warzones was "lack of support" what do the devs plan on doing differently with arenas that will ensure their success? How do the devs plan on supporting two completely different modes of PvP when they failed to properly support the one mode?

AlexModny
08.14.2013 , 03:51 PM | #299 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Quote: Originally Posted by Aikiyc View Post
Where'd Alex go? He hasn't responded for a while. D:

Is it a lunch break, or did the PvP team get sucked into a meeting to discuss the lovely feedback?
I took a late lunch... homemade fajitas /droooooool
Alex Modny | Assistant Designer
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.] [Dev Tracker]

funkiestj
08.14.2013 , 03:57 PM | #300
Quote: Originally Posted by MrMoscow View Post
As a strictly PVP player, this is some of the worst news I've heard in a long time. I was really excited for arenas, but NOT AS A REPLACEMENT FOR 8v8! I just spent a large sum of money moving my characters to Prophecy of the Five in order to play 8v8 ranked warzones
Your best bet: lobby for 8v8 challenge matches. This would allow players to run tournaments, maintain ladders et cetera for 8v8. It should be a simple feature to add. I'm sure challenge matches would be very popular for the crowd that wants to play 8v8 WZs.

I doubt you will get BW to keep 8v8 RWZ. Just look at bolster -- tons of people hate it for being buggy and opaque, yet we are stuck with it. On the other hand, you might get them to add 8v8 challenge matches.

Mr. Hat says "BW support is the best"!
I am a bad player, so what?