Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Developer Update: Warzone Arenas

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Developer Update: Warzone Arenas
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Technohic
08.14.2013 , 11:37 AM | #171
Quote: Originally Posted by So-low View Post
Will the solo que in ranked and regular arenas be the same que as the group que? i.e. if I que with 4 will we be playing people who have solo queued?
Quote: Originally Posted by AlexModny View Post
No. They are separate queues with their own ratings.
Quote: Originally Posted by So-low View Post
Is that just for ranked arenas? Or will regular arenas also have a rating attached?
Good question. So I will put it here as well.

Jadescythe
08.14.2013 , 11:37 AM | #172
Quote: Originally Posted by Scorpiooooo View Post
... Firstly - by saying 'i'll try to stay nice' you're not 'being nice'.

I fully understand what the article says, my question is completely unanswered in the article, please see above.
IF 8v8 warzones are only in the normal queue

AND the normal queue allows you to have 1-4 people in a group

THEN you can't queue with 8 people for 8v8s

Is this a good thing? no
Should they leave ranked? yes
Does this answer your question? yes
I have opinions and stuff

You could get free stuff with my referral link here

Trevalion
08.14.2013 , 11:37 AM | #173
Frankly I am not concerned at all about Ranked 8v8 going away. It's sad to lose a system that has a devoted following. I would be interested in a more detailed explanation of what the developers feel it would take to keep ranked 8v8 if that is possible.

My major problem with ranked 8v8 all along has been the poor matchmaking, coupled with the small population. It has always been an exercise in frustration for new ranked players to get up to speed. The only people who were having fun with it were truly the small percentage of the pvp player base that worked to play it regularly and were willing to play specific classes only. Winning ranked 8v8 matches is always about composition, although experienced players can (and do) take various off compositions into matches and can win with them.

I am excited about 4v4 TDM arena's. They will have the same composition meta-game, but with many more viable possibilities and opportunities to explore. My biggest question is about the new matchmaking system. Will it apply to regular warzones (objective based) as well?

AlexModny
08.14.2013 , 11:39 AM | #174 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Quote: Originally Posted by Technohic View Post
Good question. So I will put it here as well.
Warzones you play in the Warzone queue will not have a rating attached to them. Ratings only apply to solo and team for Ranked Warzone Arenas are present.
Alex Modny | Assistant Designer
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.] [Dev Tracker]

Evuo
08.14.2013 , 11:39 AM | #175
What consumables will players be limited to in warzone arenas? Will it be the same as the current structure? (any type of health pots, warzone adrenals, any type of cybertech grenade?)

Savej
08.14.2013 , 11:40 AM | #176
Quote: Originally Posted by Skolops View Post
How is it at all courageous to take things away from players already unhappy with there being too few things to do? It would be entirely understandable if the presence of 8v8 ranked hurt those players who didn't enjoy them, but it doesn't.

Saying, "there are problems so we are taking them away until we have them sorted out" is like saying, "Since Annihilation Marauder DPS is too weak we're removing the tree from the game right now."
it's courageous because they know that there are a few hardcore windbags looking for any excuse to publicly chastise BW devs. This thread also takes guts to do especially for someone that's invested a lot of time and hope and effort into the material behind it. Note how many threads on this board have ever gotten dev participation.

Throwing tantrums and insults and expressing general dismay on internet msg boards, on the other hand, is not at all courageous.

RWZs are maybe alive on a couple servers but sometimes a project needs to cut its losses on half-baked ideas that will never pan out.

I'm looking forward to the new arenas. I'm concerned that stealth teams can cc and focus half an enemy team before it can effectively react but I may be thinking too many steps ahead . i agreed with almost all of the design decisions in the blog. But it's the healing/cc balance changes that are going to make or break my sub and that's hopefully another blog.

AlexModny
08.14.2013 , 11:42 AM | #177 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Quote: Originally Posted by Evuo View Post
What consumables will players be limited to in warzone arenas? Will it be the same as the current structure? (any type of health pots, warzone adrenals, any type of cybertech grenade?)
The limits that are in place currently for consumables in Warzones on Live will be present in Warzone Arenas.
Alex Modny | Assistant Designer
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.] [Dev Tracker]

cycao
08.14.2013 , 11:44 AM | #178
Quote: Originally Posted by Jadescythe View Post

Is this a good thing? no
I'm not sure about this.

Scorpiooooo
08.14.2013 , 11:44 AM | #179
Quote: Originally Posted by Jadescythe View Post

Is this a good thing? no
None of my questions were about it being a good thing or whether they should leave ranked - but about the logistics of 8v8 Warzones and whether they had considered how core PvPers would queue for these and want to queue for these and how they plan to mitigate the fallout from this, which would conceivably see massive issues on either side, with the best solution being to leave Ranked Warzones as a part of the game in order to eliminate those issues.

Would greatly appreciate a response from the devs on this, but I'm assuming I won't get one.
Quote: Originally Posted by Clarian View Post
Luke's motivation to confront Vader wasn't to get a new belt.

ManiacDavis
08.14.2013 , 11:47 AM | #180
Leader boards or ladders??? Statistic tracking from a central hub?

Will we be able to kill some devs on the PTS this weekend?
Man-iac - The Only Commando Left Standing
http://www.twitch.tv/rrmaniac