Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Developer Update: Warzone Arenas

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Developer Update: Warzone Arenas
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

jediluck
08.14.2013 , 10:09 AM | #91
Quote: Originally Posted by znihilist View Post
Still takes courage and boldness to do so, whether you agree with it or not.
Agreed, the fact is (as they have stated) that when 2.4 hits, the people that PvP will be doing Arena's. Ranked Warzones just won't be as popular. And since the system wasn't supported enough, I think it's better they just scrap it, focus on Arena's, get the support in for them to work well, and later in the line add Ranked Warzones back in a more functional and compelling state.

DkSharktooth
08.14.2013 , 10:11 AM | #92
Hi Alex! Thank you for the awesome pvp update! I have three questions:
-Will there be a "spectator mode" option?
-Any plans to increase the credit rewards for pvpers?
-Are there any plans to introduce eSports style tournaments to arenas?

ceelaniri
08.14.2013 , 10:12 AM | #93
Quote: Originally Posted by AlexModny View Post
Current spec.
Thx!

which leads to the question:

How is your role determined if you have no spec slotted since it seems possible to be in a match without one?
Masamoto Pentesilhea

Benets
08.14.2013 , 10:12 AM | #94
" It is possible that Ranked 8v8 Warzones will come back at a later time if we can solve some of the problems with them and if the population is there to support them."

Pretty easy to fix it, Bioware didnt fix cos' it didn't want to. Put cross server match. Simple and other game's already learn it, but seems that bioware is stubborn.
- "Do or do not, there's no try" -
Benets
aka
Mxyzptlk

MeRRR
08.14.2013 , 10:13 AM | #95
Quote: Originally Posted by AlexModny View Post
Of course! We are going to pay close attention to what builds and classes players are leaning towards and away from on PTS. If something comes up we will take appropriate action.
Op/Scoundrel heals and Smash have been over played for how long in 8v8? Why should we believe that "appropriate action" will take place now?

Quote:
We have discussed this and we might do this at some point but not for 2.4. A lot more considerations need to be made for this to work.
You are taking away the ability to respec when queuing to join a RANDOMLY composed team... Have you played on a team of 4 healers, 3 tanks, and 1 dps? it's not fun, and it already happens all the time... now we dont even have to option to fix it. Why did I spend my CC on field respec for all of my toons?

The same thing that is happening with Ranked 8v8 will happen with Ranked 4v4. The optimal team comp will be the only thing people queue up with.

And as for solo queuing 4v4 using a role based system.. How likely is it going to be to get teamed up with the same people over and over?
I may not be the best player, but if I am getting teamed up with dps that can't put up more than 200dps, why am I going to keep playing?
At least with 8v8, you can carry a few sub-par players. But 4v4 solo queue will be a nightmare.

LG_XxLegacyxX
08.14.2013 , 10:13 AM | #96
-/:] New Huttball [:\-

The new queuing system and 4v4 arena maps looks pretty neat!
OPA GUNGAN STYLE
Daedra (Karagatzu) [The Bastion]
<The Last Dark Reapers> & <PURgE> PvP/PvE guild

Han_trololo
08.14.2013 , 10:13 AM | #97
Quote: Originally Posted by jediluck View Post
Agreed, the fact is (as they have stated) that when 2.4 hits, the people that PvP will be doing Arena's. Ranked Warzones just won't be as popular. And since the system wasn't supported enough, I think it's better they just scrap it, focus on Arena's, get the support in for them to work well, and later in the line add Ranked Warzones back in a more functional and compelling state.
So what about those who're in this game only because of 8v8 rwz? Why remove a gameplay that there was nothing wrong about?
Enratent Rentatent Imeanttent Sceantinmytent Ventmytent
THE TENT
Also
DelicateSunset DelicateRainbow

AlexModny
08.14.2013 , 10:14 AM | #98 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Quote: Originally Posted by ceelaniri View Post
Thx!

which lead to the question:

How is your role determined if you have no spec slotted since it seems possible to be in a match without one?
You are considered DPS and your team will not like you very much
Alex Modny | Assistant Designer
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.] [Dev Tracker]

AlexModny
08.14.2013 , 10:15 AM | #99 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Quote: Originally Posted by LG_XxLegacyxX View Post
-/:] New Huttball [:\-

The new queuing system and 4v4 arena maps looks pretty neat!
I approve of this post.
Alex Modny | Assistant Designer
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.] [Dev Tracker]

JarenWelen
08.14.2013 , 10:16 AM | #100
Hi Alex, I have a couple of questions. Apologies if these have been asked or answered before, I couldn't see them in what I've read. (And I see there have been some new answers since I started writing!)

Firstly, you said in a previous post that you'll be keeping the 10-29, 30-54 and 55 brackets for Arenas. How will this work in terms of Ranked matches? Will the 10-29 and 30-54 brackets be considered "Non-Ranked" Arenas or will sub-55 players now be able to participate in Ranked?

Secondly, how will a player's role be determined? Is it going to be a system similar to Group Finder, where you declare your role? Or will it be based off of Skill Tree distribution, gear, stances when applicable, etc.? I only ask since I can think of some hybrid instances when someone heavily invested in a Damage tree could actually be geared and "stanced" for Tanking. E.g. Defense/Vigilance hybrid.

In regards to having a Solo and Group queue: big thumbs up! One concern that has been raised in discussion with other players though is whether Queue-Synching could be an issue. Is anything done in the match-making process to avoid 4 players of the right team composition being able to synchronise and get a Solo-Queued Arena together? Or does internal testing show that this just won't happen due to the nature of the queue algorithm?

Finally, can we queue for both 4v4 Arenas and regular 8v8 Warzones (non-Ranked) at the same time or do we need to choose one or the other?

Thanks!
-J
Jaren Welen :: Vigilant || Ambassador Welen :: Infiltrator
Zekken :: Tactician || Jainie :: Seer || Vespe :: Scrapper
Jedge :: Sharpshooter || Zeckary :: Annihilator || Myn :: Madman