Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Developer Update: Warzone Arenas

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Developer Update: Warzone Arenas
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Nothematic's Avatar


Nothematic
08.14.2013 , 09:38 AM | #51
Thanks for the reply Alex. Another quick question - is there any chance of the regular PvP maps having their rewards buffed, particularly in terms of XP?
Coastas - 60 Marauder | Enaico - 60 Sorcerer | Enairo - 60 Operative | Zabric - 32 Mercenary
[TOMB OF FREEDOM NADD]

Lionflash's Avatar


Lionflash
08.14.2013 , 09:39 AM | #52
Unless I'm mistaken, both Arenas and the other Warzones will give out the same XP, Comms, Credits and whatnot.

How long are your average Arenas in testing? Is it more efficient (time wise) to do Arenas than let's say Novare Coast? (Potentially the longest Warzone)

idnewton's Avatar


idnewton
08.14.2013 , 09:41 AM | #53
Still loving the arenas, especially the anti-stealth and solo/group queue mechanics. Well-designed. New huttball map looks cool, nice to have a new bit of coolness going on Quesh. I'm not really affected at all by the removal of Ranked Warzones, but the fact is that normal warzones and their comms vs ranked ones was somewhat designed around Ranked Warzones, so I hope you have some kind of alternative (I believe you mentioned ranked arenas?). Probably my favorate piece of info is that PTS is scheduled to drop on the 16th.

Also, in reply to this post:
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthMaulUK View Post
You mention about increasing the rewards for winning but I think one of the key reasons why people bail on Warzones is due to the small rewards when losing.

I am a firm believer that losers should never be rewarded but due to the nature of this game, I think that a minimum pay out of say 100 Warzone coms should be introduced because the grind is great.

I am almost certain that this will help see a drop in quitters. The other night, I lost and I was only given 67 coms as the battle was a heated one and went on for ages. Our team suffered 7 leavers. Essentially it was 15 minutes of pain for just 67 coms.

I'm still not convinced that Arenas is the way forward but the last man standing rounds kind of removes my fear now as its a fight to the death, which is better.

Will players be locked in? So if 2 players die quickly, then 1 leaves, will they have a de-buff? Or will ALL players be locked in for the entire duration of the 3 rounds? Something I would favour.

Over to you Alex
I don't believe this was adressed in the initial blog. Yet, I would definitely like to see something done about this. The fact of the matter is that a good game doesn't bend for the scrubs and losers. There's no need to change the loser rewards so that people don't whine and bail like little babies. You set the rewards how you want them, and then penalize them for leaving. Just like group finder. You know why they leave? So that they can get the rewards faster. That's the only reason. Thus, it becomes logical to make it so that bailing from even the worst match is not as effective as continuing through it. For example, a 15 minute to 20 minute lockout from arenas.

PS: By the way, one small error. You say here the location for the three arenas are "Corellia, Tatooine, and an Orbital Station" but the first one looks like Makeb, not Corellia.
PRE-ORDER ACCOUNT LEGACY LEVEL 50 LEVEL +55s: 21
ETERNAL WARRIOR CHEEVO POINTS: +28,000



🗽 'MERICA -- **** YEA! 🗽

MisterBlackJack's Avatar


MisterBlackJack
08.14.2013 , 09:42 AM | #54
Any chance Season 1 Rank will be making it to 2.4?
THE FORCE FIGHTS WITH ME.....IN THE C.E. V.I.P LOUNGE

DesparadoIV's Avatar


DesparadoIV
08.14.2013 , 09:43 AM | #55
My entire guild is based on 8v8 ranked wz's . We transferred to Tomb of Freedon Nadd with a lot of other guilds so queueing for ranked would be viable again. And now you screw us over by removing the one thing I still enjoy doing from the game? That's just perfect.
Yan'an/Jax'a/Jaq'n

Sammennn's Avatar


Sammennn
08.14.2013 , 09:45 AM | #56
Quote: Originally Posted by AlexModny View Post
No respecs while in a Warzone or while in the PvP queue.
But alex, do you comprehend the major issue that what happens if the matchmaking system in a warzone puts 4-5 healers together? Are we forced to heal our enemies to their death?

What is the point of having FIELDrespec as a PVPer if you can't USE it in the fields? I understand the removal of it in mid-Warzones. But letting us using it just at the beginning before the game starts IS A CRUCIAL THING!

You didn't do well at all with the 8vs8 ranked warzones for over a year, now you're removing it and now you're about to destroy normal warzones aswell.

Don't.
Thetopdog shall live on
i am a nobody and i shall remain a nobody

Suryi's Avatar


Suryi
08.14.2013 , 09:45 AM | #57
Quote: Originally Posted by Kamansus View Post
I'm on Prophecy of the Five, try again.
And you still say that nobody cares about ranked? There's a whole lot more then "a dozen" players on my server (ToFN) that actively play ranked. A small % of the entire playerbase, but that's to be expected for hardcore content. I don't get how you can pull something like nobody cares about ranked when I know a good amount of players that are passionate about this aspect of swtor. Idk how things are on your server (or even if you're involved in this aspect), but here the removal of 8v8 will bug a whole lot of guilds.
Nhilas - Combat Medic Commando
Junkbox - Bodyguard Mercenary

Skolops's Avatar


Skolops
08.14.2013 , 09:46 AM | #58
Advertising a new huttball map is really quite simply not... worth much of anything with the report of removing 8v8 ranked.

While I certainly would expect 8v8s ranked warzones to be a bit less popular with the advent of the arenas, this is still a terrible, awful, shockingly bad idea. As has been said before, you will alienate and lose large chunks of the PvP community. As has been said, there are entire guilds which exist solely to do ranked warzones. They will enjoy arenas, but will not be satisfied with them.

I have already spoken to a number of avid PvPers, and the consensus is fairly simple: just because they are imperfect, don't deny those of us who like them the chance to do them at all! If the que is slow, then it is slow. We deal with it now, we'll deal with it then.

The logic is simply and unquestionably bankrupt. People are unhappy with the lack of support for 8v8 ranked, so to alleviate it you take it away altogether? That's like a guy who stops giving his wife flowers even on Valentine's day because she's mad at him for not doing it the rest of the year.

As you have shown the willingness to do in the past, I very, very strongly encourage you to change this decision. It will have devastating effects on the community and it is, frankly, without any logic to it at all. One of the complaints from the PvP has been a lack of things to do: adding a new one while taking away a current one leaves things in precisely the same situation. I know I won't be the last to offer this opinion.
El'Skan-Assassin /// Laetrie-Sniper /// Caelie-Slinger /// Fidaeria-Jugg
Armack -Chaetrie -Gaurex -Isdron -Skol'ompara /// Misericordiae -Elnar -Rujko -Sophiya
<I AM LEGEND>
Prophecy of the Five

Kamansus's Avatar


Kamansus
08.14.2013 , 09:46 AM | #59
Quote: Originally Posted by MisterBlackJack View Post
Any chance Season 1 Rank will be making it to 2.4?
"Speaking of Pre-Season, our current plan is to let folks have a (short) window to practice the new Ranked games before rolling out Season 1. Stay tuned for more details on the one-time Pre-Season titles and Season 1 as we get closer to October!"

So Season 1 is incoming shortly after 2.4 it sounds like.

cashogy_reborn's Avatar


cashogy_reborn
08.14.2013 , 09:46 AM | #60
If you have come up with a working matchmaking system based off rating for Arenas, why could you not have just implemented that into RWZ?

A true matchmaking system in RWZ would solve all of the problems addressed in this blog; mismatched teams, more accessible to players of different skill levels, etc.


Removing RWZ entirely is not a smart move.


Quote: Originally Posted by Kamansus View Post
So Season 1 is incoming shortly after 2.4 it sounds like.
And Season 1 was coming shortly after Preseason was first started, along with cross server queues! I wouldnt count on anything the devs say being true.
Dany - Attomm - Dan'y - Fogel
The Original Stormborn Commando Representative
The King of Bads