Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Developer Update: Warzone Arenas

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Developer Update: Warzone Arenas
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

CourtneyWoods
08.12.2013 , 03:47 PM | #1 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Giradda has expanded his gambling empire with a series of deadly Arenas to provide a new form of entertainment and lighten the pockets of spectators galaxy-wide.

Read More
Courtney Woods | Lead Community Coordinator
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

AlexModny
08.14.2013 , 08:53 AM | #2 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Hey PvPers! I am going to be in this thread all day responding to your questions and feedback. I will get to as many posts as I can but I won’t get to them all. Hope yall enjoy the blog post!
Alex Modny | Assistant Designer
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.] [Dev Tracker]

LegoUniverseBC
08.14.2013 , 08:55 AM | #3
Nice can't wait, BTW I noticed a typo:

"Giradda currently has three Arenas of Death set up for his pleasure on Corellia, Tatooine, and an Orbital Station; each one presenting a different layout that will require varying techniques and strategies to master. The Arenas are small, intimate and made specifically for a 4v4 fight. The Line of Sight blockers, elevations and killing fields have been fought over for months to make sure we get them just right. The goal with the areas is never to have players fight with the environment so things like firetraps, pools of acid and other hazardous environmental effects will not be present in the Arena maps. We feel this makes the true focus of Arenas, player-versus-player combat, stand out more and feel more genuine."

Where it says Corellia don't you mean Makeb?

EDIT: Are there going to be new ranked items, possibly a mount?

jediluck
08.14.2013 , 09:03 AM | #4
I'm a PvE player and I only do PvP occasionaly on my main and normally only on alts that I'm leveling, but I have to say; This. Sounds. Awesome. Let's just hope you guys can pull it off.

I'm sort of glad you are getting rid of Ranked Warzones though. They didn't get enough support. If they did (things like ladderboards or special rewards to high-ranked players) then things might have gone better. But if you can provide more support to these Arena matches, I think it'll go quite well with some of my PvP friends. Also, F2P getting access to warzones properly? About time. Now just sort out the flashpoint, operation and experience restrictions and this might actually have a good F2P model.

AlexModny
08.14.2013 , 09:04 AM | #5 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Quote: Originally Posted by LegoUniverseBC View Post
Nice can't wait, BTW I noticed a typo:
Where it says Corellia don't you mean Makeb?
So here is the skinny on that. Yes the first picture in the blog post is of the Makeb Mesa Arena and yes there is an Arena located on Corellia. We originally wanted to launch 2.4 with Makeb Mesa Arena but we found a really nasty performance issue that needs to get fixed and polished before we launch it, so Corellia Square will be replacing it!

So to clarify, the 3 Warzone Arenas you will be seeing on PTS this Friday are Corellia Square, Orbital Station and Tatooine Canyon.

Hope that clears things up!
Alex Modny | Assistant Designer
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.] [Dev Tracker]

JonCame
08.14.2013 , 09:04 AM | #6
No more 8 vs 8 Ranked Warzones? You know how much of your little PvP community you're going to loose if you implement this?
Glory - Assassin

LegoUniverseBC
08.14.2013 , 09:07 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by AlexModny View Post
So here is the skinny on that. Yes the first picture in the blog post is of the Makeb Mesa Arena and yes there is an Arena located on Corellia. We originally wanted to launch 2.4 with Makeb Mesa Arena but we found a really nasty performance issue that needs to get fixed and polished before we launch it, so Corellia Square will be replacing it!

So to clarify, the 3 Warzone Arenas you will be seeing on PTS this Friday are Corellia Square, Orbital Station and Tatooine Canyon.

Hope that clears things up!
Awesome!

Hodsy
08.14.2013 , 09:08 AM | #8
SWEEEEEET!

Will the new PVP maps be launched with the changes to F2P or with patch 2.4

By the new PVP maps i mean the 8v8 ones.

When will the changes to F2P be implemented?

Thanks!!!

DarthMaulUK
08.14.2013 , 09:09 AM | #9
You mention about increasing the rewards for winning but I think one of the key reasons why people bail on Warzones is due to the small rewards when losing.

I am a firm believer that losers should never be rewarded but due to the nature of this game, I think that a minimum pay out of say 100 Warzone coms should be introduced because the grind is great.

I am almost certain that this will help see a drop in quitters. The other night, I lost and I was only given 67 coms as the battle was a heated one and went on for ages. Our team suffered 7 leavers. Essentially it was 15 minutes of pain for just 67 coms.

I'm still not convinced that Arenas is the way forward but the last man standing rounds kind of removes my fear now as its a fight to the death, which is better.

Will players be locked in? So if 2 players die quickly, then 1 leaves, will they have a de-buff? Or will ALL players be locked in for the entire duration of the 3 rounds? Something I would favour.

Over to you Alex
to strive to seek, to find. And not to yield.

jediluck
08.14.2013 , 09:09 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Hodsy View Post
SWEEEEEET!

Will the new PVP maps be launched with the changes to F2P or with patch 2.4

By the new PVP maps i mean the 8v8 ones.

When will the changes to F2P be implemented?

Thanks!!!
Don't you mean the 4v4 ones? There aren't any new 8v8 maps coming as far as I know. But yes, it seems they are all come in 2.4