Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Developer Update: Color Palette Upgrade in Game Update 2.3

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Developer Update: Color Palette Upgrade in Game Update 2.3
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

woodface's Avatar


woodface
08.11.2013 , 04:47 AM | #51
I think as long as you're playing as your average human character this might be soon, but on all my other character this change makes me weep.

In the past it was already an issue that when you create a character like say Mirialan, you end up getting frustrated because the skin hue changes with every location and in some cases it's just horrible. This problem has just increased with the change and it frustrates me because I don't know what the right skin hue is anymore and whether I should change it.

I wish they would have first solved this problem before messing with the colours because the changes have only increased this and I find the contrast just horrible right now. The game was pretty as it was and I agree with the person who said it's more cartoony now.

ETA: Thank you to the person who posted the override. I turned it off now and feel much happier.

XxHazenxX's Avatar


XxHazenxX
08.11.2013 , 05:30 AM | #52
Quote: Originally Posted by Thylbanus View Post
As noted, some people didn't even notice, but I did and I have to say,

GREAT JOB!


It's been a long trek for me. I've seen the looks from April of 2011 to now and all I can honestly say that I have been impressed, which is no mean feat. At one time I wanted to be in visual arts and I still have an eye for such things. To be honest, I've had times that the colors are so sharp, bright, and/or intense, my eyes hurt.

EDIT:
Really guys? You want to rant about content? Some suggestions:
1. Stay on target... er topic.
2. Understand that this is what these people do, they are not going to idle a workgroup.
3. If you want content, go buy something off the Cartel Market
Um... what??? Did you seriously type that third suggestion? If you're not trolling, then that was the epitome of ignorant things ever said on this forum. I don't post much because I like to lay low with my popcorn and watch the drama here unfold thread by thread, but after reading your post, I had to say something. Your comment is what's wrong with the mentality of the playerbase on this forum and why our entire game has been exponentially being consumed by the cartel market, ruining what could have been the greatest Star Wars MMO for years to come. I'm no BioWare fan boy, and I'm no BioWare hater; I just call it like I see it.
SWG-Flurry
<DFR> Big-N-Buff | Burn'ing Chaos | Big-N-Tough <DFR>
July 10, 2004 - July 10, 2010

Selethar's Avatar


Selethar
08.11.2013 , 10:33 AM | #53
Quote: Originally Posted by Selethar View Post
I applaud your efforts. It does some really nice things to a lot of areas. However, you REALLY need to make another pass at Hoth. It's almost unplayable now.
Update: I finally had to turn the changes off when I went back to Makeb. Specifically the repub mission to save the town from Toburro. When I spoke with the mayor my human gunslinger looked like he had gotten a bad spray on tan treatment (i.e. orange) and the mayor's assistant was grossly over pink.

I don't want to denigrate months of work but it really does need a second pass at the detail level with special attention paid to how player characters and npc interactions look, not just at the "scenic" level as shown in your examples.

AsheraII's Avatar


AsheraII
08.11.2013 , 12:38 PM | #54
The effect of the tools is nice, but I think you might want to review Tatooine again if the image http://cdn-www.swtor.com/sites/all/f.../tat_thumb.gif is to be representative.

Giving Tatooine "warmer" colors sounds logical, but the word "warm" has several definitions, and making the colors warmer (i.e. a few shades darker and more satured) is following up on the wrong definition.

1) Tatooine is arid, unforgiving, barren. "Warmer" colors are inapropriate. The colors SHOULD be bleak, desolate and even somewhat ashen, not warm to give the place the feeling of a nice beach where you can find a hola girl wearing flowers just around the next tree. So strangely enough, the color range you should be looking for is COLD, not warm.

2) The shadows became darker and more pronounced, giving too much the sense of a haven from the sun. They're a haven alright when you're talking about some place indoors or in a cave. In a place like Tatooine, you'd still want to get off the street and inside a building as fast as you can. The shadows outdoors may reduce the direct heat from the sun, but there's still all the sand around you heating up the air above, so it shouldn't be a retreat, but at best a temporary relief. So again, you wouldn't want warm colors in the sense of "welcoming" or "comforting". They aren't. Indoors you would, outdoors you wouldn't.
. . . . . . ▀‼▀▀▀▀
__=##(▀▀[Φ]▀▀▀▀‼‼▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀‼▀▀!
|####/ ( /==|####/

Jaick's Avatar


Jaick
08.11.2013 , 01:25 PM | #55
Quote: Originally Posted by Basreia View Post
You are here why? If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all Don't play the game if you are this bitter in your posts.
Pay my sub and I'll be a good little fanboi. Until then....SHUTTY!

Pilgrim_Grey's Avatar


Pilgrim_Grey
08.11.2013 , 04:19 PM | #56
Quote: Originally Posted by XxHazenxX View Post
Um... what??? Did you seriously type that third suggestion? If you're not trolling, then that was the epitome of ignorant things ever said on this forum. I don't post much because I like to lay low with my popcorn and watch the drama here unfold thread by thread, but after reading your post, I had to say something. Your comment is what's wrong with the mentality of the playerbase on this forum and why our entire game has been exponentially being consumed by the cartel market, ruining what could have been the greatest Star Wars MMO for years to come. I'm no BioWare fan boy, and I'm no BioWare hater; I just call it like I see it.
I was actually going to correct him by saying you don't buy content on the market. The market is full of cosmetic things and slight adjustments to how you play the game, not stories to play, etc. (I don't put the Rise of the Hutt Cartel in the market).

Solloby's Avatar


Solloby
08.11.2013 , 04:27 PM | #57
Quote: Originally Posted by Selethar View Post
I applaud your efforts. It does some really nice things to a lot of areas. However, you REALLY need to make another pass at Hoth. It's almost unplayable now.
I agree completely.

Most areas look great - I love what you've done to the Imperial Fleet & Voss, but please take another look at Hoth. If you tilt your camera up the sky looks white and you pretty much go snow blind. It is eye blindingly white and makes you want to shade your eyes and grab a pair of sunglasses. I love Hoth's appearance so I really hope the artists take another look there and tone it down a bit so we can squint less when we're there.

Thanks for the changes in the other areas though! So far the ones I have visited look fine apart from Hoth.

Transcendent's Avatar


Transcendent
08.11.2013 , 04:46 PM | #58
Alderaan looks even better than it did previously, so great job there. Not enjoying a number of other planets however (adding my voice to the Hoth ones...). Still on the fence about the change, especially after having been immersed into a galaxy with a particular art style (or technical limitation!) that was there previously.

It's a nice direction to take, but it does seem to need some "fine tuning" in some areas. Keep up the good work though, any attempt to improve the game is appreciated.

Skullncross's Avatar


Skullncross
08.12.2013 , 06:29 AM | #59
So tatooine you say in buildings and out you've made it look so it feels hot on that planet so would'nt light shimmer or a slight haze effect coming off items or even off the sand make it feel more hotter i'm sure this effect can be manipulated into game or even just have a cut scene your getting off your ship after landing and having cinematics showing how hot it is to give a emersion effect before your on that planet.

JestersRevenge's Avatar


JestersRevenge
08.12.2013 , 10:09 AM | #60
I really appreciate the work that was put into this update. I can run everything maxed out and it's just gorgeous. I'm leveling my last 55 of all 8 classes and it's really nice to do my last run through the planets and take in the scenery.