Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

X-wing Flight Simulators?

swtonewbie
08.04.2013 , 03:32 PM | #11
One of the things i think that would suck about a fully free flight space system is the possible need for a controller or joystick. WASD might feel kinda clunky, but this is just a wild guess.

I have kind of a cool story bro moment about that. Before i started playing XW and TF i was playing other flight sims where i used a joystick and throttle setup. But with XW and TF i instead used a gamepad, like an older version of a Microsoft Sidewinder. It was actually pretty cool, i used the D-pad on it for major movements and it mimicked what a WASD movement system would been like but i was able to do it with my thumb. My right hand would activate keyboard commands when needed, but it also assisted in flight with my mouse. RMB hold and D-pad would allow me to roll and while D-pad was used for big movements i used my mouse for very fine movement and also for aiming. I even remember if i took my mouse and went left-right-left really fast the ship i was in would do a weird barrel roll.
I'm not really a noob...

BrianDavion
08.04.2013 , 03:51 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Kheld View Post
While I have enjoyed the ToR space minigame, lets face it, its a far inferior product compared to the X-Wing / TIE Fighter games, its also inferior to the space game of SWG. Hell its even inferior in some aspects to Elite!!!!

This is STAR Wars, space combat, space exploration, space ship looks, design, upgrades are integral to the IP.

Who in their right mind would release a game now which is inferior to what came before it?
the Jedi Knight game series didn't even have a spaceship minigame

JacenHallis
08.04.2013 , 07:57 PM | #13
For a time, flight simulators pretty much faded into the background. EA closed their Jane's line, Origin got bought out and pretty much shut down, Lucasarts switched from the X-Wing model to the Rogue Squadron model, and so on. Even MechWarrior got back-burnered with MechAssault. Crimson Skies was a very different game on PC than it was on Xbox; the PC version was a "flight sim," while the Xbox version was like MechAssault with planes. Now, these were all great, fun games. But they never scratched the same itch that X-Wing and MechWarrior did. Wing Commander's loss was greatly felt when the new trilogy that was supposed to begin with Prophecy never came to fruition.

In the past few years, though, flight sims have been making a comeback. Microsoft, of course, has kept their Flight Simulator franchise going continuously. But there were two notable Kickstarters last year in Star Citizen by Chris Roberts (of Wing Commander fame) and Starlight Inception from Escape Hatch (i.e. Gary Gaber, formerly of Lucasarts), which is the spiritual successor to X-Wing.

The military flight sim crowd is also making a resurgence with some incredible flight sims on Steam in the DCS package.

I am hoping that this comeback will take root in the SSSP, and we'll see fighter combat some day. I'm also hoping that Disney will release a new X-Wing-style game for the new trilogy under their Lucasarts label.
Ruminara Ven
Passion, yet serenity.

devillore
08.05.2013 , 07:49 PM | #14
Thanks all for the great responses. I'll take a look at those alternative suggestions out there. I just happened to stumble upon Star Citizen after my last response and he literally said its the continuation of Freelancer which I loved and had always hoped they'd scale up.

I'll also keep my fingers crossed that Bioware busts out a super secret space spinoff so I can join a squadron of fighters and reek havoc on fighters, capital ships, and space stations.

devillore
08.05.2013 , 07:56 PM | #15
PS - Mechwarrior...good call on another great series that I haven't played in a long time...Looking forward to that xbox one game that looks like its trying to bring back a Mechwarrior type game.