Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The REAL Most Powerful Lightsaber Duelists

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
The REAL Most Powerful Lightsaber Duelists

Master-LC
08.03.2013 , 09:09 PM | #81
1 luke
2 yoda
3 mace
4 sidous
5 vader?
6 kun
7 garen malek
8 obi wan
9 dooku
10 malgus

something like this

marcelo_sdk
08.03.2013 , 09:30 PM | #82
Just had time to come to the foruns now. I didn't read all the 8 pages, don't know what was discussed until now. So, my list would go like this:

1. Luke Skywalker
2. Darth Caedus
3. Mace Windu
4. Yoda
5. Darth Sidious
6. Darth Vader
7. Galen Marek
8. Exar Kun
9. Darth Malgus
10. Darth Tyrannus

I know Darth Caedus as #2 is a lot controversial. I would like to make my points for it now, but I have to sleep now. Tomorrow I'll be back and dele deep into the matter.

But just to make clear, I'm not a Solo Twins fanboy, on the contrary, people who frequents the same threads I do knows I'm not very fond of the post-RotJ era. Still, I always try to base my opinions on canon facts, sometimes even I get angry with my conclusions.
THE SHEPARD LEGACY

Master Goldrinn Shepard [Human Jedi Guardian] | Darth Saeros [Cyborg Sith Jugg.]
Erendis Barsen'thor [Human Jedi Shadow] | Darth Kamul [Zabrak Sith Assassin]

StarSquirrel
08.03.2013 , 11:48 PM | #83
I'm going to have to say Windu for #1. In skill I just have to say I think Windu was the top dog. He created his own form of saber combat long after the other forms had been solidly developed. He was just such an expert swordsman that I feel only Sidious's immense power allowed him to keep up and even them he for all intents and purposes lost the duel.

For second I'll suggest Jaina Solo. Sword of the Jedi anyone? She idolized Windu and trained (plus had immense experience) at saber combat. She had training by a myriad of sources (many the best warriors of her time) and she often fought multiple opponents while wounded. If it wasn't for her being less powerful force-wise than some others she'd have been the deadliest Jedi of the NJO and Legacy periods imo.

For third I'd have to pick Yoda. Master of pretty much all forms and also has more experience than both the previous swordsmen combined and then some. Took on (and beat, sparred, or fought to a standstill) some of the best duelists ever.

Fourth, Dooku. A true student of the blade. He practiced Makashi and as such he had expert footwork and exceptional strategy. Also studied under my #3 pick...

Other contenders imo are Luke, Sidious (though these are hard to rank due to their force power greatly augmenting their actual skill) Bane, Cadeus, Talon, Koon, Kenobi, Kun, Qui-gon, Corran Horn (and his extendable blade ), and Vader. That's the first ten I could come up with but I think they should all be considered.

Edit: King Adas FTW (double axes anyone?)
Zey: "Kal, you know that the Sith are bad news. They're evil. They've always been the cause of endless war and carnage across the galaxy."
Skirata: "Oh, that's a good one. 'My decapitations are more morally valid than your decapitations.' Only difference I can see is that they plan to end up with trillions dead, and you do-gooders manage it by accident."

tunewalker
08.04.2013 , 01:09 AM | #84
Ok I am not sure on number 2 I was almost positive yoda before but right now I am leaning Jaina Solo as a possible.

Also I do not believe Galen should quite make this list and if he does it will be number 10, he didn't defeat vader through superior saber skill only through superior force power, In shadows of the empire Vader called ESB Luke the greatest saber duelist he had ever faced so Galen would not even match up to Luke in ESB for saber skill, nor would Dooku technically because of this I feel Luke; Jaina, Caedus, Yoda, Windu, Sidious, Vader, Dooku, Kun, Obi-wan, Corran Horn and Kyle Katarn are all above Galen in terms of saber skill. Even Dooku was worried with the skill Obi-wan was showing and only bested him through force power.

AlexDougherty
08.04.2013 , 02:25 AM | #85
Quote: Originally Posted by Aurbere View Post
Dooku obviously makes this list. Especially based on pure skill.
Yes, but Dooku is inline for fifth place, after Sidious (Palpatine), Mace Windu, and Yoda. He was good, but those three were better.
Peace can be found, above all passions. Through passion, I may gain strength.
Through strength, I may gain power. Through power, I may gain victory.
But for every enemy fallen, a new foe rises.
For every chain broken, new chains bind me. Only the Force can set me free.

AlexDougherty
08.04.2013 , 02:29 AM | #86
Quote: Originally Posted by Master-LC View Post
1 luke
2 yoda
3 mace
4 sidous
5 vader?
6 kun
7 garen malek
8 obi wan
9 dooku
10 malgus

something like this
Put Count Dooku ahead of Vader/Anakin, he was more skilled than Vader, and more disciplined as well, which helps in a sword fight.
Peace can be found, above all passions. Through passion, I may gain strength.
Through strength, I may gain power. Through power, I may gain victory.
But for every enemy fallen, a new foe rises.
For every chain broken, new chains bind me. Only the Force can set me free.

Beniboybling
08.04.2013 , 04:29 AM | #87
Quote: Originally Posted by TheSelkie View Post
Had a quick look at The Power of the Jedi Sourcebook, the most relevant quote I could find:
"In the history of the Jedi Order, only two opponents ever overcame [Windu] in battle. One was Master Yoda, who some said was the Order's true master of lightsaber combat. The other was former Master Dooku, whose own fighting style was archaic, yet stunningly effective."
No other quotes comparing the two seem to be specifically about lightsaber ability.
To be quite honest, I think we should put sparring matches to won side, everyone seems to be beating everyone these days. Heck. Even Padawan Obi-Wan beat Mace Windu in a sparring match.

But of course they bear weight.

Windu is something of a conundrum for me, because his very style makes him super effective against Sith but not so much against Jedi. Whereas individuals such as Yoda are excellent in all fields. Yet despite this Windu did invent the arguably perfect lightsaber form...

However I don't think the likes of Jaina and Caedus come into this just yet. They were skilled yes. But the likes of Yoda, Windu and Dooku were skilled. And that's without even mentioning THE Soresu master.

Beniboybling
08.04.2013 , 04:33 AM | #88
Quote: Originally Posted by StarSquirrel View Post
I'm going to have to say Windu for #1. In skill I just have to say I think Windu was the top dog. He created his own form of saber combat long after the other forms had been solidly developed. He was just such an expert swordsman that I feel only Sidious's immense power allowed him to keep up and even them he for all intents and purposes lost the duel.

For second I'll suggest Jaina Solo. Sword of the Jedi anyone? She idolized Windu and trained (plus had immense experience) at saber combat. She had training by a myriad of sources (many the best warriors of her time) and she often fought multiple opponents while wounded. If it wasn't for her being less powerful force-wise than some others she'd have been the deadliest Jedi of the NJO and Legacy periods imo.

For third I'd have to pick Yoda. Master of pretty much all forms and also has more experience than both the previous swordsmen combined and then some. Took on (and beat, sparred, or fought to a standstill) some of the best duelists ever.

Fourth, Dooku. A true student of the blade. He practiced Makashi and as such he had expert footwork and exceptional strategy. Also studied under my #3 pick...

Other contenders imo are Luke, Sidious (though these are hard to rank due to their force power greatly augmenting their actual skill) Bane, Cadeus, Talon, Koon, Kenobi, Kun, Qui-gon, Corran Horn (and his extendable blade ), and Vader. That's the first ten I could come up with but I think they should all be considered.

Edit: King Adas FTW (double axes anyone?)
I don't think we should consider Luke's skill to be mainly down to Force ability. He was just an incredible duelist. I mean, picking up Vader-calibre Djem So in a few years with barely any training? That's impossibly impressive. And then he went on to recreate the lightsaber forms.

Also people can we focus one at a time? This thread is kinda falling apart into a spouting of opinions.

Lets focus on #2.

tunewalker
08.04.2013 , 04:35 AM | #89
Quote: Originally Posted by Beniboybling View Post
I don't think we should consider Luke's skill to be mainly down to Force ability. He was just an incredible duelist. I mean, picking up Vader-calibre Djem So in a few years with barely any training? That's impossibly impressive. And then he went on to recreate the lightsaber forms.

Also people can we focus one at a time? This thread is kinda falling apart into a spouting of opinions.

Lets focus on #2.
#2 is either Yoda or Jaina, Golden era best vs NJO second best as far as skill goes, personally Yoda.

Beniboybling
08.04.2013 , 04:39 AM | #90
Quote: Originally Posted by tunewalker View Post
#2 is either Yoda or Jaina, Golden era best vs NJO second best as far as skill goes, personally Yoda.
Windu would trump Jaina anyday. Jaina idolised Windu, but I don't believe she ever surpassed his saber skill.

I'm also leaning to Windu over Yoda. Windu mastered all the saber forms just as Yoda did, but unlike Yoda who simply took the basics of Ataru to its nth degree, Windu showed variation and skill and instead perfected a highly volatile Sith style to make it usable for Jedi - perfecting that style and arguably making it the deadliest of all forms.

I think Windu would only lose to Yoda in a fight because of superior Force ability. And we have to be careful not to blur the line between superior Force users and superior saber duelists. But that's just my opinion.