Should there be ways to boost critical chance when crafting?

LordArtemis

I've been thinking about this for a while....what ways would work, if any, to boost crafting speed and critical chance. I suppose one could run the normal gambit...perhaps buffs, or clothing that would help. But I think that's pretty tired.

I'd like to look at help from legacy and perhaps in game locations.

First, how about a helping hand from legacy?

Legacy based crafting boosts - Unlocks that can be purchased, at certain legacy levels, that can improve crafting time, amount of queued crafted items and critical chance. I would suggest three unlocks. The benefit of the unlock would increase as affection increases.

1) Crafter level 1 - Ability to craft up to 1/2/4 additional items per crew member in crafting que based on affection level.

2) Crafter level 2 - Reduces crafting time by 10/25/50 percent based on affection level.

3) Crafter level 3 - Increases critical chance by 10/20/40 percent for blue items, 5/10/20 percent for purple items based on affection level.

Now, how about in game locations? I was wondering if the usefulness of workstations, as well as certain areas in the world may be used to give natural crafting boosts....

Workstation - Allows you to craft 1 additional item in que per companion.

Workstation on Home planet - Provides a 5 percent reduction in crafting time in addition to normal workstation bonus.

Workstation on Fleet station - Provides a 5 percent boost to critical chance across the board, in addition to normal home planet and workstation bonus.

This would give folks that have interest in "hands on" crafting, especially when trying to grind out blue or purple schems a bit of a boost depending on where they are located.

Any thoughts folks have on this would be appreciated....do you think it would be a good addition to the game, and do you have any ideas as to how those bonuses could and should be applied?

Thanks for your time.

Sounds good to me...I think you've mentioned it before, but a way to boost the chance to RE a schematic would be nice, too.

Or does that count as a crit?

I'm not sure...someone else could probably answer that better than I can.

If I were to just comment on it, the RE process for the sake of this idea would be effected by a critical bonus naturally...so you would have a higher chance to hit a blue or purple schem when REing an item that you have crafted.

Edited by LordArtemis

Sounds good to me...I think you've mentioned it before, but a way to boost the chance to RE a schematic would be nice, too.

Agreed. I've always thought it would be nice if there was a legacy perk that increased your RE chance. If they don't want to tie it to legacy, you could have special items that increase your RE rate for the next item you RE (similar to the crit items in LoTRO). Just don't sell them in the CM!

If they don't want to tie it to legacy, you could have special items that increase your RE rate for the next item you RE...

Bespin Port. New Augments could be added to the game that would give a bonus to RE chance. Crafters could create RE crafting suits for this purpose.

But that would actually take a trifle amount of work and even worse, it would mean revisiting an already in-game system, so that right there is a big no-no in the eyes of the BioFail BugWare dev team. NEW gimmicks are the ticket, not improving on existing systems to make them more in-depth and diverse.

...Just don't sell them in the CM!

Don't hold your breath!

I'd like to see higher RE chances tied to Legacy Level. Say, maybe an extra 5% chance for RE per every 10 Legacy Levels. So, at LL 10 you'd have 25% chance to turn a green into a blue and at LL 50 it'd be a 45% chance to turn a green into a blue.

I've been thinking about this for a while....what ways would work, if any, to boost crafting speed and critical chance. I suppose one could run the normal gambit...perhaps buffs, or clothing that would help. But I think that's pretty tired.

I'd like to look at help from legacy and perhaps in game locations.

First, how about a helping hand from legacy?

Legacy based crafting boosts - Unlocks that can be purchased, at certain legacy levels, that can improve crafting time, amount of queued crafted items and critical chance. I would suggest three unlocks. The benefit of the unlock would increase as affection increases.

1) Crafter level 1 - Ability to craft up to 1/2/4 additional items per crew member in crafting que based on affection level.

2) Crafter level 2 - Reduces crafting time by 10/25/50 percent based on affection level.

3) Crafter level 3 - Increases critical chance by 10/20/40 percent for blue items, 5/10/20 percent for purple items based on affection level.

Now, how about in game locations? I was wondering if the usefulness of workstations, as well as certain areas in the world may be used to give natural crafting boosts....

Workstation - Allows you to craft 1 additional item in que per companion.

Workstation on Home planet - Provides a 5 percent reduction in crafting time in addition to normal workstation bonus.

Workstation on Fleet station - Provides a 5 percent boost to critical chance across the board, in addition to normal home planet and workstation bonus.

This would give folks that have interest in "hands on" crafting, especially when trying to grind out blue or purple schems a bit of a boost depending on where they are located.

Any thoughts folks have on this would be appreciated....do you think it would be a good addition to the game, and do you have any ideas as to how those bonuses could and should be applied?

Thanks for your time.

There is legacy of crafting character perk - 3% crit chance, there is 5% chance from maxed companion affection (1% per 2000 affection), there is bonus to crafting on some companions, there is some ship droid sensors that provide crit also.

Major missing part here is RE crit, none of the above apply to it.

Legacy of crafting - will be good to extend up to 5% and apply it to crew mission also.

Stations will mean you have to sit and craft on overpopulated area, it goes against idea of companions crafting till you play the game.

No one who currently crafts would appreciate this at all. If you increase the Crit chances by "X", everything becomes less valuable. People who took the time to RE end game Mods/Enhancements or anything else that is routinely sold on the GTN or through personal trading would be getting the shaft big time.

It seems like everyone always wants to speed this game up. The purpose of many mechanics in this game is that is DOES take a while to accomplish. I for one have Zero interest in increasing the Crit chance on crafting. I make 500K-1Mil profit a week selling augments alone. There is money to be made right now, as the game expands to these incoming FPs and OPs there will be even more opportunity. Increasing the Crit chance would smother all of that.

Ways to improve the quality of a crafted item:

-Clothing modifiers

-Quality of your crafting tool

-Quality of the resources being used

-Quality of your crafting station

-Entertainer buffs

-Bespin port

-Crafting in a city with a research bonus

Wait.. wrong game. :confused:

Well, I appreciate the feedback and your opinions, pro and con.

I would like to point out that I am a crafter and I do support crit changes and boosts (obviously, I posted the OP), nor do I think it would affect the value of items sold on the GTN in any meaningful way.

Well there are "ways" to increase crit chance and reduce crafting time, including legacy perks (+crit) and affection (+crit -time). It would be nice if there were more ways though.

Two more levels of the legacy crit perk would be a trivial addition, and the UI for legacy even already seems to allow room for that many.

More items in queue would be a problem without a wholesale overhaul of the impossibly bad crafting UI (which also is desperately needed, but unlikely to happen any time in the foreseeable future). Sadly the crafting UI itself is the biggest obstacle to fixing crafting at this point, since it just can't accomodate most of the more useful changes that need to happen.

Well there are "ways" to increase crit chance and reduce crafting time, including legacy perks (+crit) and affection (+crit -time). It would be nice if there were more ways though.

Two more levels of the legacy crit perk would be a trivial addition, and the UI for legacy even already seems to allow room for that many.

More items in queue would be a problem without a wholesale overhaul of the impossibly bad crafting UI (which also is desperately needed, but unlikely to happen any time in the foreseeable future). Sadly the crafting UI itself is the biggest obstacle to fixing crafting at this point, since it just can't accomodate most of the more useful changes that need to happen.

Its a good point, but I was thinking the way they can get around this is to shrink the icons automatically if that many items que....scale them, so to speak. They would be smaller and could fit "over/under" in about the same amount of space.

You can increase the chance of a critical in crafting by maxing out their affection. Also a high presence stat seems to help, so fing the presence datacrons (and the others too), and get a human to level 50 (+100 points to presence across legacy)

Presence has nothing to do with crew skills,

There already is a way to boost crit chance: increase your companions' affection.

True, but I was looking for a more substantial boost. At least looking to suggest one, for what it's worth.

You can boost chance of getting an augmented result via legacy unlock. You can also boost the critical chance for certain skills with the ship droid scanner thingies (or whatever they are called).

Edited by branmakmuffin

Yea, I remember the boost items that SWG had for crafting. I believe this game has something like that with the crafting mods.

I still think a legacy perk and location based boosts would be a nice bonus.

In the end the returns from missions and gathering is just far too low. This would at least provide reasonable access to mats for crafters.

Edited by LordArtemis