Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

8/2 - PVP Sniper/Gunslinger community questions

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Gunslinger / Sniper
8/2 - PVP Sniper/Gunslinger community questions

paowee
07.31.2013 , 10:44 AM | #41
Submission is now closed. Will only be accepting votes from now on and we should also start on fine tuning the potential questions we ask BW this Friday.
Republic < Intrepid > The Harbinger slinger sage vanguard dps
swtorboard.org dps blog.class guides.end-game stuff
16 man | 8 man DPS leaderboards | Galactic Starfighter Records

diadox
07.31.2013 , 11:03 AM | #42
Quote: Originally Posted by paowee View Post
This happened to me last night in a warzone rhuarc Bug needs to be fixed. XD
Yah, makes me almost as sad as the Op IX datacore bug.
Rhuarc -- Rhu
The Red Eclipse

greg_biochem
07.31.2013 , 02:42 PM | #43
My votes:

1. PvE 8 (set bonus)
2. PvP 6 (ranged dps vs. healers)
3. PvE 5 (engineering; viable for all end-game)
Server: The Ebon Hawk
Red'october - Gunslinger

GalnarDegana
07.31.2013 , 11:25 PM | #44
Not sure if Reps should vote, so I will refrain for the moment. Trying to get as much attention to this thread as possible, as well as the PvE one. Questions are due on Friday, no? Whew...
Gunslinger Guide | Complete Valor Points List | Official Gunslinger Representative Questions Page
Harbinger: Geldarion ('Slinger), Shadowlands: Geldaria (Sniper)
Owner of The Fanatical Swordsman, cohost for Casual Core Radio, PvP Writer and former cohost for Corellian Run Radio

paowee
07.31.2013 , 11:59 PM | #45
Quote: Originally Posted by GalnarDegana View Post
Not sure if Reps should vote, so I will refrain for the moment. Trying to get as much attention to this thread as possible, as well as the PvE one. Questions are due on Friday, no? Whew...
reps should vote...!

AngelFluttershy
08.01.2013 , 12:07 AM | #46
Quote: Originally Posted by GalnarDegana View Post
Reps should definitely vote. The way I see it is Snipers = Gunslingers, so whatever we ask about Snipers will answer questions about Gunslingers as well.

Ashuranrx
08.01.2013 , 10:15 AM | #47
Voting: PvP 3 and PvP 6.

Comment on PvP 5: Z-axis is not really an advantage for Snipers in arenas. In WZ where there is focus objective play, yes it is an advantage, because the Snipers can shoot unwary enemies who are too focus on the objectives to pay attention to the Sniper. But in small scale skirmish deathmatches, the enemies can simply run under and hide from LoS. Wait until out of combat and heal, and takes his time to find a way to the Sniper. Sniper may also become isolated from the group and become vulnerable to stealthers. The Sniper may also become out of LoS for his healer when his healer is being chased.

If "wallbanging" is not fixed by 2.4, walls are snipers' best friend in arenas.

paowee
08.01.2013 , 10:48 AM | #48
Cant rememeber where i read it but some pvp snipers in this forum were talking about how "everybody knows Engi will be the spec for arena". Got me really curious. What do you guys think? Initially i thought, hey Engi snipers have great defensive cooldowns, area denial (probably very desireable in arenas), plus you get an extra stun every 18 seconds. Not to mention EMP Discharge for double roll, double shield probe and double entrench. Primarily a dot spec BUT has burst capabilities whenever EP is up. Big problem for you though is when you fight against cleanse spammy lineups.

Trephination
08.01.2013 , 10:58 AM | #49
Quote: Originally Posted by Ashuranrx View Post
Voting: PvP 3 and PvP 6.

Comment on PvP 5: Z-axis is not really an advantage for Snipers in arenas. In WZ where there is focus objective play, yes it is an advantage, because the Snipers can shoot unwary enemies who are too focus on the objectives to pay attention to the Sniper. But in small scale skirmish deathmatches, the enemies can simply run under and hide from LoS. Wait until out of combat and heal, and takes his time to find a way to the Sniper. Sniper may also become isolated from the group and become vulnerable to stealthers. The Sniper may also become out of LoS for his healer when his healer is being chased.

If "wallbanging" is not fixed by 2.4, walls are snipers' best friend in arenas.
I'll elaborate a bit on this since it was one of the questions I wrote.

Z-axis maps (elevated ramps, bridges, platforms) are major advantages for ranged DPS because they have an easier time establishing map control over melee. You say that melee can "simply LoS under the ramp" as if it's the melee who has the advantage in this case - he doesn't. If a melee is forced to hide out of LoS, it is the sniper's team who has the advantage. Even more so if it's the entire enemy team hiding, as you seem to be describing. There's no situation where you'd just camp on a ramp or bridge for an entire match. Elevated terrain is easier for ranged to take advantage of as both teams reposition as a fight goes on.

Additionally, there are so many knock backs in SWTOR that I can see z-axis based maps being absolute hell for melee classes in general.

Regardless, my point about z-axis was posed more as a subject for discussion on map design than a formal question for the devs. Players who have tried arena-style PvP already--in SWTOR or in other games--know exploiting z-axis design is a major advantage ranged have over melee. I was hoping to spark some talk on the importance of map design for snipers and other ranged DPS, because I think it will be far more impactful on the class's success than any small class balance tweaks could ever be.

I suppose we won't really know until the maps have been publically released for testing, though. I will remain optimistic in the mean time.
Teacher / Blackadder | Bastion

paowee
08.01.2013 , 12:56 PM | #50
Teacher it looks like your question #3 is popular at the moment. Your PVP 3 question has
Quote:
perfect format
so there's no need for editting there

See spreadsheet for new comment by eric