Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

8/2 Sentinel/Marauder Questions

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Jedi Knight > Sentinel
8/2 Sentinel/Marauder Questions
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Leafy_Bug
07.31.2013 , 01:48 AM | #41
Congratulations on the nomination. Now down to business. I am a sentinel player like you guys and while I enjoy the class I feel somewhat annoyed by it in several scenarios. First and foremost, at operator ix, zealous strike seems to fail on cores in the sense that it does the animation halfway and stops. Merciless slash behaves the same and masterstrike does the animation but no damage, hence making it available again. This happens once or twice every 10 runs but I do believe it is not something the devs should bury under a carpet.

Second, I agree with many that merciless ramp time is too long think it was in the forty second area. I did the numbers when 2.0 came out so I may be a bit rusty with the latter point I made. I would also like to note that Watchman is not Combat or Infiltration. It is not a spec based on burst but on DOT effects. Consequently, in my view the ramp time is not as important as the damage lost from our burn nerfs. If they increase the burns back to their previous levels watchman will be competitive again even with the merciless slowpoke build up. This could be a solution for both PVP and PVE where we lose these stacks.

Again, something I mentioned in another thread, can the devs re-evaluate the offhand accuracy ? Even with spot on accuracy the misses are quite many and watchman has quite a few moves with offhand components in it.

g_mK
07.31.2013 , 09:11 AM | #42
My main is a sent and the one I enjoy the most, I play combat on PVE. My biggest issue with the RNG for slaughter/HOJ is when you have a moving target is difficult and nearly impossible to have a steady rotation, for example on Kephess as a melee dps we have to keep moving after kephess while the tank positions him near a pylon, this makes the combat rotation a big mess. my solution is that instead of having a RNG defendant gore/PS window, have slaughter/HOJ either reduce the CD of gore/PS or increase the length of the window, this would provide more fluidity to the entire rotation.
55 Dón-Quíjote Jedi Sentinel (combat/Watchman/Focus)
55 Dulcinea Jedi Shadow (Tank)
55 Sancho-Panza Sharpshooter Gunslinger
53 Rakolnikof Vanguard

Leafy_Bug
07.31.2013 , 10:15 AM | #43
Quote: Originally Posted by g_mK View Post
My main is a sent and the one I enjoy the most, I play combat on PVE. My biggest issue with the RNG for slaughter/HOJ is when you have a moving target is difficult and nearly impossible to have a steady rotation, for example on Kephess as a melee dps we have to keep moving after kephess while the tank positions him near a pylon, this makes the combat rotation a big mess. my solution is that instead of having a RNG defendant gore/PS window, have slaughter/HOJ either reduce the CD of gore/PS or increase the length of the window, this would provide more fluidity to the entire rotation.

Do you have these issues in the majority of boss fights?

K_osss
07.31.2013 , 10:26 AM | #44
Congrats KBN and thanks for your representation!

I would be pleased with the questions your put forth. If you are fishing for other interesting topics I've got a question on how/if the Dev team plans to give Alacrity value for Knights & Warriors. I guess it's not really a Sentinel specific question and isn't applicable in 2.0 given alacrity's value related to the other tertiary stats. But in their current implementation it will have ZERO value other than allowing us to Strike/Assault faster.... I view that as a problem because I'm not a fan of using Strike/Assault spam.

Emperor-Norton
07.31.2013 , 11:17 AM | #45
Quote: Originally Posted by g_mK View Post
I parse consistently higher on NiMKephess while in Combat compared to Watchman, especially for the movement phases (that may be because I can do all my burst while he is down though). So I don't think Combat has any big disadvantages there.
Make me feel special and read my Watchman / Annihilation Guide

DarkDisturbed
07.31.2013 , 01:44 PM | #46
KBN, can we see some revised finalized questions based on the feedback soon?

MetalKingSlime
07.31.2013 , 02:35 PM | #47
I switched to watchman with 2.0 from combat. A large part of that was watchman's greatly increased fluidity and the utter chaos that combat had become both because of rng and perpetual focus starvation. I got tired of HoJ proc'ing on force leap right as i started and what not. Also watchman's damage output debuff on the boss and sustained rather than burst dps model is a lot more tank friendly and the group heals are a nice help to the healers too. As my guild moves into doing NiM perhaps I'll have to move back to combat for sheer dps reasons, but unless your group is weak in dps or aoe it seems that watchman is the pve spec to be.

That said i will parrot what other people have said about the merciless stacks. Phase switches can be rough on those stacks atm especially given that one dps does not have sole control over how fast things die. For instance Olok the shadow the middle part with the droids or the lightning adds in Styrak. If those adds go down at an awkward time the buff is going to fade. With olok it isnt such that large a deal as it like almost all of hm is super easy on dps, but with styrak i panic a bit when i see our scoundrel healer coming to help on my ghost. I dont want that guy to die before i get off a final mercliess.

This goes back to what Oofalong asked above, should sentinels be encouraged to be proficient in all the specs and respec between boss fights or is Biowares intent that all the fights be friendly to all the specs? Perhaps I'm too attached to the nice pve utility watchman has and should just relearn combat for certain fights, but that brings us back to the rng issues with combat.

And also ill agree with oofalong on the mdps in raids thing. I want a fight where i feel im more useful on a sent than a gunslinger for a mechanic not inspiration.

So my questions would be:

1) Is Bioware considering lengthening the time on merciless?

2) Is Bioware working on making HoJ triggering more player based?

3) Does BW intend to make bosses that actively encourage mdps?

Sprgmr
07.31.2013 , 04:30 PM | #48
I'm a fan of this methodology. Each are plenty viable, but of course each is superior in one facet. This enables no one spec to be the all-around best. Sort of a Jack-Of All, master of One.

Quote: Originally Posted by oofalong View Post
Next, I ponder the purpose and value of three unique DPS specs...
Spoiler

surharijan
07.31.2013 , 05:33 PM | #49
Something to think about with Annihilation/Watchmen if we decrease the build up time of Juyo/Annihilator/Merciless stacks.

e.g. Say we halve the time taken. It currently takes 40 (?) seconds to build up those Annihilator/Merciless stacks, if we halve the time (to 20 seconds), we will have an extra 20 seconds at full DPS mode.

I haven't looked through enough parses to know what our full DPS mode average is, but currently the DPS difference between Carnage/Combat and Annihilation/Watchman DPS including the build up time is fairly minimal (at least on dummies) .

I think we want to keep them even somehow - thus if they do decrease the build up time, don't be surprised if they nerf something else while they're balancing.

Berjiz
07.31.2013 , 07:55 PM | #50
Quote: Originally Posted by surharijan View Post
Something to think about with Annihilation/Watchmen if we decrease the build up time of Juyo/Annihilator/Merciless stacks.

e.g. Say we halve the time taken. It currently takes 40 (?) seconds to build up those Annihilator/Merciless stacks, if we halve the time (to 20 seconds), we will have an extra 20 seconds at full DPS mode.

I haven't looked through enough parses to know what our full DPS mode average is, but currently the DPS difference between Carnage/Combat and Annihilation/Watchman DPS including the build up time is fairly minimal (at least on dummies) .

I think we want to keep them even somehow - thus if they do decrease the build up time, don't be surprised if they nerf something else while they're balancing.
I think it would be better to just give 3-5 seconds more on the stacks and see how it goes. Not all specs need to work everywhere.