Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Was there supposed to be a second 'subscriber appreciation' at the end of July?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Was there supposed to be a second 'subscriber appreciation' at the end of July?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

branmakmuffin's Avatar


branmakmuffin
07.30.2013 , 07:54 PM | #61
Quote: Originally Posted by stockmks View Post
What you may be missing here.. (alongside quoting the rest of my post which didn't seem to hold to your point) is that in many people's social environments, 'appreciating' someone for whatever reason amounts to more than a tip or a voucher.
When the relationship is personal, sure.

Quote:
So people went and appreciated someone themselves, or were previously appreciated by others, and ultimately experienced something deeper than a gift card. This created a calibration for what the actual idea of appreciation means, and when measuring biowares gesture to appreciate subscribers.. it came up as short.

To your argument, maybe consider it a standards thing in relation to the idea of 'appreciation'.
And to your argument, consider that those dissatisfied with the 500 CC are indeed petulant, spoiled, bratty, greedy children who would complain that it wasn't $10 if you gave them $5.

Inflicktion's Avatar


Inflicktion
07.30.2013 , 08:10 PM | #62
LOL! Gotta love how the same 3 people will say anything to defend this game. BW explicitly stated they had something else planned for the end of the month. Expecting said thing at the end of the month doesn't make anyone a spoiled entitled brat. Some of you are soooooo clueless

RisenDragon's Avatar


RisenDragon
07.30.2013 , 08:30 PM | #63
Quote: Originally Posted by Icebergy View Post
I fail to see how saying "thanks for the free $5" amounts to "bending over and taking their 'medicine'".

Its a free $5.

A free $5.

Free $5.

Free.
There is a significant difference between 'Free' and 'At no additional cost.'

Every time someone says that the 'Subscriber appreciation' grant of 500 CC was 'free,' I cringe.

I paid for those cartel coins. I paid over 12 months of subscription time for those 500CC.

And that- that right there- is the difference in opinion between the two factions here on the forums.

Is an additional 500CC a valid 'show of appreciation' to a group of people who have stuck with this game since launch or before?

Yes, we have the Founder title, yes we have the Taun-Taun pet, and if you've got the digital expansion, you've got some other things too. Even more if you're a Collector's Edition member.

But all those were one-time things, and yes, were appropriate at the time.

Since then, BW/EA has implemented a lot of changes to the game, including the Cartel Market- a feature that many subscribers do not appreciate or like at all, and some subscribers don't mind the CM itself but take issue to some features of the CM (gambling packs, pay for rep, ect.) To give these players an additional grant of Cartel Coins is not showing them appreciation at all, in their eyes, as they don't like or use the CM in the first place.

From a marketing standpoing, I can see and cede the validity of granting in-game money to subscribers as a 'thank you' gift- it's easy, and everyone knows giving a gift card is a lot less likely to get someone upset than the possibility of giving a gift that someone doesn't like.

However, at the same time, I can also see and acknowledge the viewpoint that subscribers deserve more than a quick fake 5 bucks for their loyalty and patience with the way the game is being managed. It would be one thing if, as mentioned earlier, we all saw our subscription fee for the month drop 5 bucks, but I think we all know that's not going to happen.

I'm easy to please, honestly. A title, a pet, or a speeder would have been absolutely fine- even if I never used it. I do feel a little put off by the 500 CC, though. Was it a gift? Definitely. Was it free? No. Did it show appreciation? To a lot of people, apparently not.

Hestis's Avatar


Hestis
07.30.2013 , 08:36 PM | #64
Quote: Originally Posted by TheBBP View Post
500CC could have gotten you most of those items that you listed.
For one thing many of the games that give those things as rewards, they are specific to that program, and not available for purchase. For another, these are ongoing programs, where you get the rewards on a regular schedule. Might you be able to buy one or two of these things with your 500CC? Sure. But in these programs you're getting multiple things every reward cycle. And a character slot alone will cost you more than that. Things like titles and pets you can buy a "chance" to get one in a crate. There are no extra powers to purchase or decorative items (since we don't have guild hq's, let's say for your starship). Plus there's actually some thought put into these rewards, and that's what a lot of people were complaining about.

Did they do something nice? Sure. Did they have to do it? No. Just because they did it does that make it on par with similar acts? No. There are plenty of games out there that do it better.

stockmks's Avatar


stockmks
07.30.2013 , 08:39 PM | #65
Quote: Originally Posted by branmakmuffin View Post
When the relationship is personal, sure.

And to your argument, consider that those dissatisfied with the 500 CC are indeed petulant, spoiled, bratty, greedy children who would complain that it wasn't $10 if you gave them $5.
Sadly I don't think that makes sense either.. as subscribers are individual people, and to appreciate them, you have to appreciate their person.. It kinda of fails to materialize if you consider subscribers just an aggregate of people who in aggregate deserve a bone for their loyal real cash stipends every month. Oh wait.. Anyways.. in this context, if you as the other party want your subscribers to feel appreciated, you have do it personally.. there's no aggregate subscriber representative to take a general appreciation... it don't work that way.

Your second point sounds like an Andrayh like generalization, do stop it. Pro tip: When you see what you just described, ignore it.

ps. i'm sure in mmo's and online efforts mmo's go to great lengths to create that sense of person and community for their products. while this would be a unique case, because bioware straight up said they wanted to "appreciate" subscribers, which are people.. it is just a company, for all that means, sure.

MrJurgens's Avatar


MrJurgens
07.30.2013 , 10:44 PM | #66
Quote: Originally Posted by Inflicktion View Post
LOL! Gotta love how the same 3 people will say anything to defend this game. BW explicitly stated they had something else planned for the end of the month. Expecting said thing at the end of the month doesn't make anyone a spoiled entitled brat. Some of you are soooooo clueless
Agreed.

They think they're so pragmatic and anything anyone else says that's negative about this game is "entitled" or a "hater".

Apache's Avatar


Apache
07.30.2013 , 11:38 PM | #67
Quote: Originally Posted by TheBBP View Post
"ERMHAHGERD YER SLERPED MER IN MER FERCE! AR DERSERV MOAR!".
Ok, first of all That was crazy funny. You have no idea how much that made me laugh. Thank you so much for the chuckle!

However I can kind of see why people didnt feel like they were shown much appreciation.

For example (since we are on the pizza thing):

Say I go buy a pizza. The guy making me the pizza says that he put an extra 5 pieces of pepperoni on my pizza to show his appreciation!

Now on one hand Im glad the actually thought of me and put forth an effort to try and make me feel valued as a regular customer. Thats great.

Yet on the other hand, I dont feel like he tried all that hard. The guy probably had 500,000 pieces of Pepperoni back there. Its not like he actually went out of his way. He just gave me a few more pieces of what he already has plenty of during a process that he was already doing because I paid him to do it. Hardly a gesture even worth mentioning. Yet, it was still a nice gesture.

Now with Bioware, these Cartel Coins are like magic. Unlike a piece of Pepperoni, they take absolutely no effort to make. They are virtual currency that Bioware can create with a press of a button. They are literally limitless. Pulled right out of thin air. Which makes getting them as a Gift not all that special.

But for the record, Im glad BW gave me some thought. It wasnt a lot but it was better than nothing. Especially since I didnt even know that they were doing it. I hadnt visited these forums in months and had no idea. So it was a nice little surprise.

DarthTHC's Avatar


DarthTHC
07.31.2013 , 07:15 AM | #68
Yalls are still missing the making subscribers feel appreciated statement that BWEA made.

This is separate from "gift".

In order to make a subscriber - this subscriber - feel appreciated, BWEA should probably do something that takes more than zero thought and negligible effort. They should think about why subscribers subscribe (hint: not to get cartel coins unless they're incredibly mathematically challenged) and do something according to that.

Heck, I don't want "gifts" to feel like my subscription dollars are appreciated. I would actually prefer that BWEA simply shut up and produce more 2.3's and RotHC's. Less talking, more doing.

You want to show appreciation for subscribers, do that.
Human beings see oppression vividly when they're the victims. Otherwise they victimize blindly and without a thought. ~ Isaac Bashevis Singer

Alavastre's Avatar


Alavastre
07.31.2013 , 08:39 AM | #69
People, people. As being a big part of the "other" customer appreciation thread, I can say that you should go there to argue what appreciation means. Don't start that conversation up again. Trust me, it leads no where.
Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. Thomas Jefferson

Primarch_PWnD's Avatar


Primarch_PWnD
07.31.2013 , 08:51 AM | #70
Quote: Originally Posted by GatorAndy View Post
It's like the owner of a restaurant I frequent telling me, "hey, you come here a lot and I appreciate your business, here's a gift card to use on a future purchase." and then me spitting in his face telling him he should do something better than that to show his appreciation. You know how many appreciation gifts I will receive in the future? Zero.
Taken completely out of context, you're correct.

Putting it into context, you're completely missing the point.

If your hypothetical restaurant sells all its dishes for $50, and his gift card is for $1, and you can only spend it on certain items, and only if you're already buying other stuff, he's not exactly being very generous.

THAT's what went on with this "gift". They tell us that they price the CM stuff with our stipend in mind which is, of course, 500 CC. Thus everything is priced to make it more expensive so that our stipend is a complete wash: If we didn't get a stipend then things would cost less. That's not being "appreciated", that's being told you're being appreciated and then getting "mathed" right out of the equation.

What BW says is, "Here's a free 500 CC. Everything in the CM is priced 500 CC higher because we know we give you 500 CC. Feel appreciated, and more importantly spend money."

You're oversimplifying to make BW seem like the good-guy. Put it into context and they're really not.
Profiteers of War and Destruction

Prophecy of the Five