Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

8/2 Sentinel/Marauder Questions

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Sentinel / Marauder
8/2 Sentinel/Marauder Questions
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

akabane_k
07.30.2013 , 02:09 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Dawginole View Post
I would like to hear when they are going to address alacrity for Sentinels and how they envision it working when it is finally working as intended.
if they made alacrity affect dot's and cooldowns, it would be useful and a viable alternative to surge.

skomerko
07.30.2013 , 02:38 AM | #22
Quote:
Watchman/Annihilation has a long ramp-up to achieve its maximum damage output. And, it relies on maintaining the Merciless/Annihilator buff or using Merciless Slash/Annihilate at least every 15s. Plus, ~40% of its damage comes from DoTs. These are easily removed negating much our the specs damage in PvP.

These two factors primarily make this spec inferior to the other available specs for PvP. If the goal is to make this a more viable PvP spec some necessary changes might include:

Increasing the duration of the Annihilator buff and/or reducing the rate with which it falls off ie one stack at a time.
Making the DoTs unremovable or applying some other adverse event when removed like reducing healing received or slowing the target. (After all, if I was bandaged up after bleeding heavily I might not be so quick to charge back into action )

These are ideas the community has come up with. Does the development team have any other ideas to make this spec more viable in PvP? Are there plans to introduce any changes to increase its viability? If there is no goal to make this a more viable PvP spec, can you please explain this rationale?
This, this and this please

Ardarell_Solo
07.30.2013 , 03:54 AM | #23
I think the strengths and weaknesses adressed here are simply meant to be like that and I find them to be quite well balanced: With Focus you have one specc that shines brightly in PvP and the AoE department, if it were competitive in PvE as well (where you need stong single target DPS), that specc would be OP.

Combat does highest DPS in PVE plus enormous initial burst both in PvE and PvP. If DPS peaks were not dependent on RNG at all and you could deliberately control burst DPS it would be totally OP.

Watchman is quite a bit easier to play than Combat, fair enough that you can't pull the highest DPS with it. Dots are a very convenient play style as your target takes continuous damage even if you don't do anything, so you have to make it a littler harder to keep those Dots running.

I do agree Gunslingers are probably a little too strong since 2.0 but I'd rather give them a slight nerf than push Sent speccs...
El'ethon (Sentinel) | Rickmyron (Gunslinger) | Alreegan (Sage)
Craeg (Scoundrel) | Dacs (Commando) | Vayus (Guardian)
<Taking the Jawas to Alderaan> Tank und rDD gesucht! Infos HIER.
T3-M4

Ramtar
07.30.2013 , 07:54 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by KeyboardNinja View Post
The polls have closed, and it looks like I'll be your Sentinel representative for this round (thank you!). Down to work…

We have three questions to fill. One of those needs to be about PvP. As a general structure, I see the following immediate points:
  • Focus/Rage viability in single-target PvE fights due to low sustained DPS (~9% behind on dummy parses)
I will address this one issue because I only play Focus:

1. Why doesn't Zealous Strike reduces the target's armor by 20% for 45 seconds as does the Guardian's Sundering Strike.

2. Needs a Force Push to immediately finishes the cool down of Force Leap.

3. Doesn't get a immediate cool down on any skill as does Combat or Watchman.

4. Zealous Leap doesn't benefit from 4 piece PvP Weapon Master bonus.
Level 55s: Sentinel, Guardian, Juggernaut, Gunslinger, Sorcerer

EricMusco
07.30.2013 , 08:31 AM | #25 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Hey folks,

Great work so far KBN! I am going to go ahead and sticky this thread so people can find it easier and so it is also on the devtracker.

Looking forward to seeing your top 3.

-eric
Eric Musco | Community Manager
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

JKnightJ
07.30.2013 , 09:38 AM | #26
Congratulations KBN on the Class Representative position! I'd also like to thank you for penning your guide.

I play a Combat Sentinel and my observations are from a strictly PVE end-game perspective.

I agree that Combat has far too much RNG influencing ability use and can result in you "mashing buttons like a coked-out ferret" to maximize dps. It's liveable, but I'd like to see the RNG factor reduced in some small way.

While our role is specific in raids, our versatility could be improved slightly by increasing our AoE capability. This need not be by much: a slight increase in the damage of TST and Cyclone Slash (reduce the focus cost by one as well). This would put us on par with the favoured Gunslingers (XS Freighter Fly-by) and Commando's (Mortar Volley) as far as ability to deal with groups of adds without making us OP methinks.

My last observation relates to our last-ditch, save my backside ability, Guarded by the Force. While this is to be used judiciously, it seems in some fights that the 99% damage reduction is meaningless. One example of such a time is the explosion/surge at the end of Heirad's Lightning Storm. Our defensive cool-downs can mitigate the majority of the damage from Lightning Storm, but the last burst of damage seems to completely by-pass the DR granted by GbtF, in NiM mode at least. Further, other classes have abilities that make them immune to damage completely (Force Barrier, Dodge) for much less cost. Therefore, I would suggest that GbtF be changed such that it not only provides 100% immunity to damage/damaging effects, but also to all control and/or movement impairing effects as well.
Liira - GM of Shadowed

oofalong
07.30.2013 , 09:49 AM | #27
I also came up with two more philosophical concerns. I am not sure if any of these are actually good questions, or even really questions at all. Still here are my thoughts:

My first rumination is about the new Nightmare mechanics...
Spoiler

Next, I ponder the purpose and value of three unique DPS specs...
Spoiler
The Shadowlands
*Mostly Updated for 3.0* Read my Theorycrafting Articles on Dulfy.net
*Updated for 3.0* Confused by all of the Proc Relics? Check out my new and improved relic explanation.

Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
You are correct Oofalong.

Mr_Fuzzle
07.30.2013 , 10:50 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by oofalong View Post
I think a balanced raid group employs 2 tanks, 2 healers, 2 melee DPS and 2 ranged DPS. Thus, at least 3 people are expected to be in melee range of the boss any given time. Do the Devs agree with my definition of a balanced raid group?

Many of the latest Nightmare Operations bosses introduced new mechanics, which are extra challenging as melee DPS. In words, groups are punished when raid members stack on top of the boss and one another. Do the Devs agree the new mechanics are more punishing for melee?

If so, was this a conscientious decision to encourage more ranged DPS or an unfortunate by-product of the new fights? Going forward, will there be more attention to to promote balanced DPS needs?
Oofalong, I totally agree that this question does need to be asked, but I'm not sure if the Sentinel class questions should be about this. It does seem that a lot of the content from NiM and hell, even HM Scum and Villainy, tends to discourage melee in groups. Does this mean that good melee dps players can't excel? No, of course not, these instances are very doable with melee in the group. However, the amount of knockbacks, AoE damage and some boss specific mechanics tend to discourage the use of melee dps in favor of more ranged dps. As one of the tanks in my group put it when the expansion came out, "Wow, this really is the **** on the melee and the tanks patch."

With that being said, I wonder if the developers would consider having a similar Q&A type thing, but with raid specific questions and also PVP specific questions. Maybe get a group of the GMs from the top progression guilds together and let them ask a few questions after deliberation. Same with PVP, but have a few elected representatives from the PVP community doing the same thing.

KeyboardNinja
07.30.2013 , 10:57 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Mr_Fuzzle View Post
With that being said, I wonder if the developers would consider having a similar Q&A type thing, but with raid specific questions and also PVP specific questions. Maybe get a group of the GMs from the top progression guilds together and let them ask a few questions after deliberation. Same with PVP, but have a few elected representatives from the PVP community doing the same thing.
This is a really good idea. I'm going to ping eric about it so that it comes to his attention. Even if we can only ask "content" questions once every few months, it would still be valuable.
Computer Programmer. Theory Crafter. Dilettante on The Ebon Hawk.
Tam (shadow tank) Tov-ren (commando healer) Aveo (retired sentinel) Nimri (ruffian scoundrel)
Averith (marksman sniper) Alish (lightning sorcerer) Aresham (vengeance jugg) Effek (pyro pt)

Maelael
07.30.2013 , 11:35 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by TheCourier- View Post
I used watchman for ranked PVP back in patch 1.3. It was definitely viable back then. The dots actually tick very strong. The dots aren't the problem. TBH, almost no medics on Pot5 cleanse dots. Cleansing dots is usually a waste of time, since a heal could be being channeled instead, and watchman's dots reapply super fast.
You're still missing the basics. Made a long post so I spoilered it:
Spoiler

Watchman does not have a short burst capability, and it takes at least 6 GCDs to really ramp up well to where its more comparable, and by that time the fight should be 75% over.

I would ask though, as I wasn't around for the golden age of stun bubbles, what was different in 1.3 with watchman?
There is no ignorance; there is knowledge. There is no fear; there is power.
I am the heart of the Force. I am the revealing fire of light. I am the mystery of darkness.
In balance with chaos and harmony, Immortal in the Force.