Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

What are you currently reading?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion > Off-Topic
What are you currently reading?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Euphrosyne
07.25.2013 , 10:37 AM | #11
Richard J. Evans - The Third Reich in Power

Second part (1933-1939) of a very well-regarded trilogy by one of the better historians of Nazi Germany right now. Evans is in a class with the likes of Ian Kershaw. I will admit that I'm not incredibly interested in the Nazi period or the Second World War - my interests lie in significantly earlier things - but Evans does a good job of aggregating the recent literature in an eminently readable fashion. That said, the readability does come at a price; Evans spent an awful lot of time on anecdotal history and on social/cultural analysis at the expense of talking in-depth about, say, the economy. Considering how provocative his conclusions on that economy were, one would assume he'd spend more time defending them. Oh well. Anyway, that's a minor nitpick. Good book, have learned a lot so far.

Wang Zheng - Women in the Chinese Enlightenment: Oral and Textual Histories

While I am interested in May Fourth China (the strict periodization would probably be 1919-1925 or so, but I prefer to use it as referring to Chinese society from 1919-1937, an acceptable alternative), and gendered history outside the narrow and sterile confines of "late twentieth century white America" is fun and exciting to me, I will confess that I'm reading this book more for research purposes than for anything else. So I've kinda been skipping around. I will say that the interviews, on the whole, were generally very interesting, but what really sold them for me was the author's excellent footnoting.
Euphrosynē (n., Greek) - "mirth, merriment"
Fanfic: Beyond Good and Evil

Seireeni
07.29.2013 , 04:31 AM | #12
Atm I'm reading Timothy Zahn's Angelmass. Around 50 pages still left. Usual Zahn quality and another reason why he's my favourite author. I actually like the main characters quite a bit, especially Jereko Kosta is a nice change from Zahn's usual military-background male main characters.

Spoiler

Probably trying to finish R. A. Salvatore's Kharon's Claw after this. His new Forgotten Realms books are just...not that great. That one elf lady is competing with Ashoka Tano of the title "the fictive character I hate the most" and dropped my former favourite character from that spot. But hey, at least
Spoiler

Or maybe I should just read more Zahn after Angelmass. I have the original Cobra trilogy waiting in my bookcase...
There is a face beneath this mask but it's not me.
Red Eclipse - 22 characters - The Firslay Legacy

xxdarkscopzxx
07.29.2013 , 07:20 AM | #13
Cycles of time by Roger Penrose. Im a science nerd

And didnt even finish D day by Antony Beevor

EricMusco
07.29.2013 , 12:33 PM | #14 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Quote: Originally Posted by Lordmird View Post
Your thread.
Not gonna lie, this made me laugh harder than it probably should.

As for the actual question, I started reading "The Name of the Wind" on my way to San Diego. I am probably about 2/3 through it and I am loving it. Really, really good fantasy series so far!

-eric
Eric Musco | Community Manager
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

Kilora
07.29.2013 , 12:41 PM | #15
Excellent recommendation for anyone in this thread -- just started reading this last night.

"Ready Player One" by Ernest Cline

Its about an MMO simulation game (think Matrix) who's creator dies, and leaves his fortune to the first person to meet a single condition:

Find the easter egg I've hidden in OASIS (the MMO simulation game).

Spoiler
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Moonshadow View Post
The Force clearly states that the sanctity of romance should be between two consenting HUMANOIDS. Maker created Adam and Eve and Steve and Thralk and Shenshu'vernia, not Adam and Muk-Muk!

Twickers
07.29.2013 , 01:26 PM | #16
Currently I'm reading the valdemar series by Mercedes Lackey, in particular the collegium foundation series, but I've been reading the exiles honor series as well, also re-reading the herald mage series.

Also been re-reading the dragon jouster series (also by Lackey), if you like a good fantasy book I would suggest this series.
The loneliest people are the KINDEST, the saddest people smile the BRIGHTEST, the most damaged people are the WISEST, ALL because they do not wish to see another soul suffer the same way they did. - Author Unknown

Octom
07.29.2013 , 10:10 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by ericmusco View Post
... I started reading "the name of the wind" on my way to san diego....
-eric
While DRIVING?!?!
Quote: Originally Posted by AdamChattaway View Post
doe snot

TheBBP
07.29.2013 , 11:49 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Octom View Post
While DRIVING?!?!
Everyone does it. I mean, since it is too dangerous to text.
Crosswire - Republic Commando / Balloch - Bounty Hunter
Co-Leader of WotM/ALitD Family/Christian Guilds
Site : Recruitment Thread
The Ebon Hawk

Lordmird
07.30.2013 , 01:28 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by TheBBP View Post
Everyone does it. I mean, since it is too dangerous to text.
Eric doesn't read while he drives.

Eric drives while he reads.
"Who dares wins" "By Strength and Guile" "Per Mare, Per Terram" "Utrinque Paratus" Her Majesty's best
Could you do it?

TheBBP
07.30.2013 , 01:47 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Lordmird View Post
Eric doesn't read while he drives.

Eric drives while he reads.
This is what makes it easy to pass your off-ramp.
Crosswire - Republic Commando / Balloch - Bounty Hunter
Co-Leader of WotM/ALitD Family/Christian Guilds
Site : Recruitment Thread
The Ebon Hawk