Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

8/2 - PVE Sniper community questions

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Gunslinger / Sniper
8/2 - PVE Sniper community questions
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

paowee's Avatar


paowee
07.29.2013 , 05:35 PM | #51
Engineering is getting some heat over at the 2.0 DPS Leaderboards thread. You can read more about it here. From Page 5 up to around page 9 i believe. Takes 5 minutes!

My reply after reading through is this.

Anyone else want to ask the devs their intention behind this spec so we can get through with it once and for all?

-____-.

Am i intended? Or am i just clever use of game mechanics and should i expect a nerf?
Republic < Intrepid > The Harbinger slinger sage vanguard dps
swtorboard.org dps blog.class guides.end-game stuff
16 man | 8 man DPS leaderboards | Galactic Starfighter Records

CaptCody's Avatar


CaptCody
07.29.2013 , 05:53 PM | #52
Quote: Originally Posted by paowee View Post
Engineering is getting some heat over at the 2.0 DPS Leaderboards thread. You can read more about it here. From Page 5 up to around page 9 i believe. Takes 5 minutes!

My reply after reading through is this.

Anyone else want to ask the devs their intention behind this spec so we can get through with it once and for all?

-____-.

Am i intended? Or am i just clever use of game mechanics and should i expect a nerf?
I am concerned that with such an emphasis on the damage of covered escape, the engineering tree has went from being a ranged skill tree to being a Pseudo Melee based play style (well to the extend you need to set up close to the boss to make full use of covered escape). It definitely doesn't seem intended. Reliance on a skill that was from what it seems to be a defensive maneuver to a primary offensive seems a little counter intuitive. It is interesting but I wonder if it was their actual intent.
B O L I D E
Legacy

paowee's Avatar


paowee
07.29.2013 , 07:34 PM | #53
Looking at the Engineering parses we have (with scatter bombs) and comparing it to the parses with no scatter bombs, Covered Escape seem to be doing 17%-20% of your total DPS. Looking at some specs, Lethality's Cull and Marksman's SoS and FT (20% if not more than, of their DPS) do you think that Scatter Bombs is doing too much damage? In Aerallo's 3500 DPS parse and 2800 DPS parse Scatter Bombs did ~17% of his DPS. This is less than Cull or SoS/FT in their respective specs.

i hope eric doesn't mind me reposting our PMs...

Quote:
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco
Looks great so far! I will definitely be in touch on Thursday are so to make sure you are just about ready for Friday

Although it seems like you guys are definitely well prepared!

-eric
At least we are on the right track.
Republic < Intrepid > The Harbinger slinger sage vanguard dps
swtorboard.org dps blog.class guides.end-game stuff
16 man | 8 man DPS leaderboards | Galactic Starfighter Records

paowee's Avatar


paowee
07.29.2013 , 07:41 PM | #54
Quote: Originally Posted by CaptCody View Post
Ok can we talk actual "other" questions. You know issues that don't have to deal at all with PvE or PvP.

Customization Character/Companion looks are pretty important to me. We've seen adding of customizations for C2-N2 and 2VR8, but how about some love for a droid companion with currently no customization options. I of course speak of everyone favorite droid out to kill us, SCORPIO.

-More to come-

Or how about this. It's been brought up a few times but never addressed in any fashion. The tech classes in general don't feel the presence of their color crystal as much as force users, and the suggestions a few brought up for snipers was the ability to change the color of our portable cover screen based on our color crystal. Do you think it would be possible to implement something to this effect?

We've seen plenty of cartel market sabers with some nifty affects, especially the introduction of the color crystal affecting other features besides the saber color (looking at you Saber staff with a color changing center crystal. I would like to see more of this on sniper rifles (and other blasters), because power crystals aren't as visually stimulating on blasters as they are on light sabers. Would it be possible to add more Sniper Rifles with effects on them that respect the Color Crystal, be it Laser Sights, displays, etc. ?
Capt i've added your question to the PVE list. But keep in mind eric did post some guidelines on how our questions should be made.
Quote:
As you compile your top 3 keep in mind that the goal is provide commentary and specifically questions to the development team which you wish have them address. Try to phrase things in the way of questions that we can answer.

Bad example: You guys are aware that we suck in PvP right?

Good example: We feel that in general our class lacks some utility and cc in comparison to other classes in Warzones. As an example (your reasoning), do you guys feel we are in a good place here? Do you also feel this is an issue?
Brief and precise. Also it looks like its possible to have "2 questions," something like a follow up to your first question. It doesn't necesarily have to be a "one-liner"
Republic < Intrepid > The Harbinger slinger sage vanguard dps
swtorboard.org dps blog.class guides.end-game stuff
16 man | 8 man DPS leaderboards | Galactic Starfighter Records

BetaKiller's Avatar


BetaKiller
07.29.2013 , 07:49 PM | #55
Quote: Originally Posted by paowee View Post
Engineering is getting some heat over at the 2.0 DPS Leaderboards thread. You can read more about it here. From Page 5 up to around page 9 i believe. Takes 5 minutes!

My reply after reading through is this.

Anyone else want to ask the devs their intention behind this spec so we can get through with it once and for all?

-____-.

Am i intended? Or am i just clever use of game mechanics and should i expect a nerf?
When I brought the roll in place into attention during PTS I was hoping for that kinda of feedback and/or fix. It came live so I believe it is only clever use of game mechanics just like wall rolling (don't agree with it being fixed but I'll accept it). Engineering is a high-risk/high-reward spec, any misplacement and the DPS drops but when properly executed it will shine.

As you said yourself Paowee, Enginneering is only viable on a selected boss fights and PvP wise it is so easy to bait them. Although I do want an official response on them :P which is why I picked PvE 5 :P

BetaKiller's Avatar


BetaKiller
07.29.2013 , 07:58 PM | #56
Quote: Originally Posted by paowee View Post
Looking at the Engineering parses we have (with scatter bombs) and comparing it to the parses with no scatter bombs, Covered Escape seem to be doing 17%-20% of your total DPS. Looking at some specs, Lethality's Cull and Marksman's SoS and FT (20% if not more than, of their DPS) do you think that Scatter Bombs is doing too much damage? In Aerallo's 3500 DPS parse and 2800 DPS parse Scatter Bombs did ~17% of his DPS. This is less than Cull or SoS/FT in their respective specs.

i hope eric doesn't mind me reposting our PMs...

At least we are on the right track.
Yea I saw that but like I said previously, those are top-tier parses without any regards to mechanics or battle positions. Personally I've always hated we couldn't use Takedown on the dummy although I understand why and those have the same issue but in reverse Eng has a perfect situation dummy for DPS.

Also saw the new add-on question it sounds a lot like 5, just more generalized to all specs, PvE 11 is for me now.
I would actually go and see if we can merge 3,5 and 11.

I loved 12 but I prefer to talk about bonus set at the moment.

EDIT:

Oh yeah, regarding DPS composition, any spec will have a focus on a certain skill, having 20% on Covered Escape is not the issue it is actually the big health drop in 2 GCD that's annoying people, should I say that Smash still does a big hit as well and they haven't changed it much?

Synavix's Avatar


Synavix
07.29.2013 , 09:31 PM | #57
Just as a preface to this post, I think the Engineering questions are excellent and would love to see them get answered if they are proposed.

For the sake of discussion though, I'm not sure it's the best one. As it stands, our combat roll is insanely powerful as a defensive tool in progression/nightmare content. As the spec is, it's fairly niche. Moving the damage away from the combat roll and into another ability doesn't really solve the problem. The highest DPS rotation will *still* involve using the combat roll (unless it's nerfed to the point of being a terrible ability), so the spec will *still* not be used on difficult progression content because the roll will need to be saved for those mechanic avoidance issues (looking at you, Dread Guards). Combine that with the fact that either way you are required to essentially be an extra melee, I don't feel it's worth it to change for PvE. In terms of PvP, it's still a great spec regardless of what happens to the roll because of it's area denial ability.

CaptCody's Avatar


CaptCody
07.29.2013 , 09:36 PM | #58
Hehe, the question felt long paowee, because it was. I really typed those as two sepperate questions. One about color changing of portable cover, and one question about adding sniper rifles with fun color related effects. They do both share the theme of color crystal aesthetics.
B O L I D E
Legacy

paowee's Avatar


paowee
07.30.2013 , 02:14 AM | #59
Quote: Originally Posted by Synavix View Post
Just as a preface to this post, I think the Engineering questions are excellent and would love to see them get answered if they are proposed.

For the sake of discussion though, I'm not sure it's the best one. As it stands, our combat roll is insanely powerful as a defensive tool in progression/nightmare content. As the spec is, it's fairly niche. Moving the damage away from the combat roll and into another ability doesn't really solve the problem. The highest DPS rotation will *still* involve using the combat roll (unless it's nerfed to the point of being a terrible ability), so the spec will *still* not be used on difficult progression content because the roll will need to be saved for those mechanic avoidance issues (looking at you, Dread Guards). Combine that with the fact that either way you are required to essentially be an extra melee, I don't feel it's worth it to change for PvE. In terms of PvP, it's still a great spec regardless of what happens to the roll because of it's area denial ability.
This makes sense. Even if Scatter Bombs did 200 DPS (nerfed) and the DPS "transferred" into SoS, or stays the same and does 600 DPS, it will ALWAYS be part of Engineering's rotation. Regardless of how high it is on the priority list, a boss where all 5 bombs can hit will always be more optimal than running it on a boss where only 1 bomb can hit. Right now all we can have is get an answer (if we do decide to pick this question), to give everyone some peace of mind (lol) regarding this spec.

Right now the only thing i'm sure of is that Roll in place IS unintended and to expect a fix for that soon.
Republic < Intrepid > The Harbinger slinger sage vanguard dps
swtorboard.org dps blog.class guides.end-game stuff
16 man | 8 man DPS leaderboards | Galactic Starfighter Records

paowee's Avatar


paowee
07.30.2013 , 02:26 AM | #60
Hot topics portion. Made some changes on the spreadsheet. Check it out. Hopefully i did not miss anything.

Day today - Tuesday. Eric said he'll get back to me on Thursday to have the questions "finalized" for Friday. 2 days left.
Republic < Intrepid > The Harbinger slinger sage vanguard dps
swtorboard.org dps blog.class guides.end-game stuff
16 man | 8 man DPS leaderboards | Galactic Starfighter Records