Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

8/2 - PVP Sniper/Gunslinger community questions

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Gunslinger / Sniper
8/2 - PVP Sniper/Gunslinger community questions

islander
07.29.2013 , 11:50 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by paowee View Post

**snip**

Are wall camping Engineering snipers IN RANKED such game breakers that you guys agreed to let Engineering specs play but agree that they can not stand beisde a wall?
Who said anything about not letting them play by a wall?

Reality is, most folks think being able to instantly (and every 20 seconds) do one button 10-15k damage without a cast time is just ridiculously OP, much less if adrenaline probe is up to rinse-repeat.

if that's not OP, I'm not sure what is. I mean the only thing close would be auto-crit smashes which happen every 20-30 seconds.

I'm not entirely sure how you fix it, though.
Gėllies Erimosi, Imperial Deadeye
<Hex> Prophecy of the Five

paowee
07.29.2013 , 12:06 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by islander View Post
The rolling into a wall, I'm not so sure about. I will use this in normals, but based on the ranked pvp population opinion on pot5, I will not use this in rateds provided I don't see anyone else on the other team use it. The ranked community has had gentlemen's agreements in the past adhered to by many (for example, bubble stun)
I implied it from this post. I thought that is what you said.

if that's not OP, I'm not sure what is. I mean the only thing close would be auto-crit smashes which happen every 20-30 seconds.
I don't think its OP because you have to roll-in-place to do it, which is going to get fixed according to Bruce McClean from SWTOR San Diego cantina event. And once that gets fixed you can only do it when you are standing beside a wall.

If you are playing competitive ranked WZs, and if you are a melee, you should know this and do the necessary steps to avoid it. But yeah the sniper can look for opportunities to knock you back against a wall and roll on you. Meh, i guess that can be argued.

I think the argument for scatter bomb OP is hard to justify because you have to knock the person to a wall, do a roll or double roll, and that is assuming the other person is AFK or not doing anything to counter what he should know you are about to do (assumption in high ranked play).

When you see this trick done to you once, you should be able to do something to prevent it in the future. I do stun double roll combo in solo q wzs a lot and i see some 'knowledgeable' people who know how to deal with it. one time a sorc bubbled it, a marauder UR + healthpot it, an operative evasion cleansed the roote, mercs, operatives in general can all cleanse the root, i've seen a BH use hydraulic overrides to remove the knock back root ( i was sort of dueling him the entire Civil war match and he knew it was coming).
Republic < Intrepid > The Harbinger slinger sage vanguard dps
swtorboard.org dps blog.class guides.end-game stuff
16 man | 8 man DPS leaderboards | Galactic Starfighter Records

islander
07.29.2013 , 12:14 PM | #13
Well, either way it's good to see the roll (in place) is being fixed.
That's just ridiculously cheesy.

As far as wall rolling, again I do it when I run engineer in normals (currently novare, and sometimes VS).

If BW suggests that rolling into a wall and having all of the bombs land in one place is "working as intended" then that's something else. (edit: Still, if the Pot5 core ranked teams want to 'not use it' as a wall bombing, I'm going to go with that out of respect)

These guys at BW really should start posting transcripts here of "What they say" because a tiny tiny percentage of people can attend these cantina meetups. These slackers need to schlep out to the mid-atlantic sometime.

paowee
07.29.2013 , 12:15 PM | #14
Well, either way it's good to see the roll (in place) is being fixed.
That's just ridiculously cheesy.
Yes it's the third post in this thread >_<

islander
07.29.2013 , 12:18 PM | #15
Yes it's the third post in this thread >_<
Sorry, about a week behind in reading, had a friend and family from Spain over here last week.

paowee
07.29.2013 , 12:22 PM | #16
Sorry, about a week behind in reading, had a friend and family from Spain over here last week.
All good man!

If BW suggests that rolling into a wall and having all of the bombs land in one place is "working as intended" then that's something else.
I'd personally won't think that that was their FIRST intention, but more of a clever use of game mechanics

We will never know until the devs tell us directly what their intention was for all 3 specs (NOTE this can be a good question and we can ask it if more people vote for it), but this is what i think:

Lethality = DoT spec. Long ramp-up. Can spec for spammable AoE slow via CG DoT.
Engineering = AoE- area denial spec.
MM = turret down spec, cover immune to Charge, entrench immune to CC.

Lethaliy's roll = Corrosive Mines, has a little AoE damage but more importantly used to kite and slow enemies. Can be used to give you time to apply your DoTs while the person is trying to get out of your Corrosive Mine AoE slwo.
Engineering's roll = AoE dps and leaves 5 bombs throughout your 18m covered escape.
MM's roll = gives you X seconds of entrench for immunity CC to let you turret undisturbed. Movement speed buff after leaving cover to help you reposition.

/2c

@islander - no vote yet? :P

islander
07.29.2013 , 12:39 PM | #17
I can't connect to anything in your OP here. I'll have to try and remember to do so from home.

paowee
07.29.2013 , 01:04 PM | #18
I can't connect to anything in your OP here. I'll have to try and remember to do so from home.
Ah yea i forgot. Google docs is disabled at your work XD.

BaineOs
07.29.2013 , 01:11 PM | #19
I don't think its OP because you have to roll-in-place to do it
sorry dude but it is definitely OP and cheesy. In my opinion the bombs should drop based on the distance you travel so if you just roll head first into a wall it'll allow that but....no bombs.
Es'carli D'Lakutos (Retired) - Baine Os Juros (Active)

Engineering spec

Patches 2.0 - 2.10: The Golden age of Engineering

paowee
07.29.2013 , 01:22 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by BaineOs View Post
sorry dude but it is definitely OP and cheesy. In my opinion the bombs should drop based on the distance you travel so if you just roll head first into a wall it'll allow that but....no bombs.
Well you could write it down as a pvp question but it looks like not that big of a concern for the pvp forum community (if this thread is a good basis at ALL for issues and concerns that the sniper pvp community has >_>).

I only personally know Teacher/Trephination who plays high-ranked WZs as a Sniper in The Bastion with <Hey Im MVP> and i've posted his concerns in the front page (guy is not a frequent form goer). NoTomorrow's question is also up there as well (about relationship between ranged DPS and healers).