Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

8/2 - PVP Sniper/Gunslinger community questions

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Gunslinger / Sniper

paowee
07.26.2013 , 04:55 PM | #1
This thread is for discussion on the questions the PVP Sniper/Gunslinger community wants BW to answer. What is the PVP community's most pressing concern?

This spreadsheet is to make the questions "readily available" to viewers. I've added questions from the other thread and you can view them here https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...OUTR2aFE#gid=9

Quote:
As you compile your top 3 keep in mind that the goal is provide commentary and specifically questions to the development team which you wish have them address. Try to phrase things in the way of questions that we can answer.

Bad example: You guys are aware that we suck in PvP right?

Good example: We feel that in general our class lacks some utility and cc in comparison to other classes in Warzones. As an example (your reasoning), do you guys feel we are in a good place here? Do you also feel this is an issue?
We need 1 PVE question, 1 PVP question and one other (determined by most votes). If you find a question you like you can vote now or change it before our deadline which is 8/2/13 this Friday.

Quote: Originally Posted by NoTomorrow View Post
pvp 3
Quote: Originally Posted by islander View Post
pvp 4
Quote: Originally Posted by BaineOS
pvp 3
Republic < Intrepid > The Harbinger slinger sage vanguard dps
swtorboard.org dps blog.class guides.end-game stuff
16 man | 8 man DPS leaderboards | Galactic Starfighter Records

paowee
07.26.2013 , 04:57 PM | #2
I think we'll meet less resistance from the sniper PvP community than some of the classes, because our class is overall very strong and consistent for both regular and ranked PvP. All three trees are effective and fill a different niche, making sniper one of the most well-designed and balanced classes, in my opinion. That said, there's always room for improvement and I do see a few issues potentially worth discussing.

Some questions I might ask:

1. With 4v4 arenas on the horizon, one concern about the value of the sniper class is its lack of any significant offensive cooldown(s) compared to some of the other ACs. Snipers are capable of some of the highest and most consistent DPS in the game, but are also quite predictable because of cast abilities requiring static line of sight and lack of any dynamic burst that comes along with a valuable offensive cooldown. While useful in their own right, Target Acquired and Laze Target don't have the same on-demand impact that one comes to expect from an offensive cooldown. Are there any plans to address either one of these abilities, considering their slightly underwhelming impact in PvP?

2. Since patch 2.0, the Lethality tree has received significant overall improvement. However, the quality of life change that decreased the resource cost of Corrosive Grenade / Corrosive Dart greatly simplified the spec, making energy management much more of an afterthought than it was prior to 2.0. Additionally, this change dramatically increased the proportion of Lethality damage dealt by DoTs compared to other abilities, slightly decreasing the relative value of many now lesser-used abilities. Are there any plans to further adjust Lethality so that it might become less reliant on the spreading of Corrosive Grenade and more dependent on varied ability use?

(not sure on the wording of this one - basically Lethality has been dumbed down a lot since 2.0 and might be more fun if it was made less one-dimensional)

Some general issues that might spark other questions:

- there's currently a bug wherein jump-cancelling the animation of Covered Escape prevents you from moving, dropping the after-effect of engineering bombs / lethality mine at your present location. This is easily exploitable in the case of engineering, allowing you to drop 15-30k damage in the span of 2 globals in some instances.
NOTE: BW knows this and it will be fixed in a future patch

- on arenas in patch 2.4, will there be ample use of z-axis for map design? This can make or break snipers and most other ranged dps in my opinion. The z-axis is the single most important thing ranged can exploit versus melee, even over line of sight, so as a sniper I'm hoping at least one map has clever z-axis design (like huttball platforms).

link

paowee
07.26.2013 , 04:59 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by pistols View Post
paowee, just so you're aware, i spoke to bruce maclean at the san diego cantina tour about the /jump in place cluster bombs. He confirmed it was unintended, and to expect a fix in a future patch.
Quote: Originally Posted by funkiestj View Post
right, we don't want to burn a question on that one!

BaineOs
07.27.2013 , 04:39 AM | #4
Seem at it's in a warzone posting this here rather than the pve thread....which is a shame because the discussion is so far on the pve thread

about this roll thing what exactly is meant by the /jump rolling in place thing? There's a couple of issues with it so far and I'm just not entirely clear what that means.

Is there some kind of bug that when you /jump whilst rolling it makes you stop in place thereby dropping the bombs?

Or is it something else like here? No need to watch the rest of the clip but you see that I've started the roll only for a guy to aoe stun me preventing me from completing the roll.

The other meaning I get from that is rolling into a wall at point blank range dropping all the bombs at one location. So which is it that's being fixed?
Es'carli D'Lakutos (Active) - Baine Os Juros (Active)
Engineering spec

paowee
07.27.2013 , 11:54 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by BaineOs View Post
Seem at it's in a warzone posting this here rather than the pve thread....which is a shame because the discussion is so far on the pve thread

about this roll thing what exactly is meant by the /jump rolling in place thing? There's a couple of issues with it so far and I'm just not entirely clear what that means.

Is there some kind of bug that when you /jump whilst rolling it makes you stop in place thereby dropping the bombs?
this one. you can do up to 20K+ dmg in one GCD (if all bombs crit) if you roll in place on top of somebody.

This is why its funny knocking back people on a wall and then running to them and doing a covered escape >_<. or camping a wall and waiting for an unsuspecting marauder to try and melee you xD

paowee
07.27.2013 , 11:55 AM | #6
well there's a bit lenghty pvp lethality and mm thread outside... maybe those people just haven't logged into the forums yet

Synavix
07.27.2013 , 05:45 PM | #7
All of the questions listed so far are pretty good, the biggest problem I have with picking one is that they all feel more like something I want answered because I'm curious/interested, and not so much because they're actually an "issue" that I want addressed.

I'd probably throw my vote towards number 5, since I feel it's been largely overlooked in the last two PvP maps in favor of basic LoS designs.

With that said, we do have a third question available after our PvP and PvE ones are decided, and from the looks of it we could very easily get a hybrid PvP/PvE question out of questions 3 or 4.

Question 3 fits right in with the PvE question of whether or not Laze Target will ever be addressed, and could potentially even be expanded to encompass cooldowns in general: both offensive and defensive. No reason to limit it to one or two specific abilities.

Question 4 could be reworded to fit in with the PvE question 3, in regards to the balance issues of Lethality and whether or not we can see more of it's damage focus shifted back into single target sustained damage (to both buff the PvE DPS and shift some of the focus off "spam dotting" in PvP).

paowee
07.27.2013 , 05:59 PM | #8
Updated

islander
07.29.2013 , 09:58 AM | #9
My understanding of the sniper roll/bombs is it's un-intended design (especially the one where you don't even have to pin the guy up against a wall). The one where you manage to jump and roll in place has got to be abusing an unintended mechanic that bioware should fix. Today - not at some random patch weeks into the future. I've done it once or twice, laughed, then felt dirty afterwards.

The rolling into a wall, I'm not so sure about. I will use this in normals, but based on the ranked pvp population opinion on pot5, I will not use this in rateds provided I don't see anyone else on the other team use it. The ranked community has had gentlemen's agreements in the past adhered to by many (for example, bubble stun)

I can't read that doc either unfortunately, its blocked at work (which is where I do like 95% of my forum reading).
Gėllies Erimosi, Imperial Deadeye
<Hex> Prophecy of the Five

paowee
07.29.2013 , 11:08 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by islander View Post
My understanding of the sniper roll/bombs is it's un-intended design (especially the one where you don't even have to pin the guy up against a wall). The one where you manage to jump and roll in place has got to be abusing an unintended mechanic that bioware should fix. Today - not at some random patch weeks into the future. I've done it once or twice, laughed, then felt dirty afterwards.

The rolling into a wall, I'm not so sure about. I will use this in normals, but based on the ranked pvp population opinion on pot5, I will not use this in rateds provided I don't see anyone else on the other team use it. The ranked community has had gentlemen's agreements in the past adhered to by many (for example, bubble stun)

I can't read that doc either unfortunately, its blocked at work (which is where I do like 95% of my forum reading).
So you mean to tell me in POT5, Engineering snipers can't camp a wall (in ranked is this even something ideal to do in competitive play??) to serve as a deterrent to any melee who might want to target him?

It's not as if camping a wall is even a good idea in maps like Huttball (objective), the side nodes of civil war (makes you a sitting duck for ranged DPS, novare outcoast (unless you sit inside the "garage" and limit your line of sight to probably 50% of your enemies).

Are wall camping Engineering snipers IN RANKED such game breakers that you guys agreed to let Engineering specs play but agree that they can not stand beisde a wall? This is really odd to me. I'd think that Engineering/Saboteur is used for area denial and not wall camping so melee will think (oh he is beside a wall) i better just ignore him or get nuked by wall rolling scatter bombs).