Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

PVE AoE Sniper: The Explosive Engineer [Video]

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Imperial Agent > Sniper
PVE AoE Sniper: The Explosive Engineer [Video]

paowee
07.25.2013 , 12:53 AM | #251
Np!

Anyway a bit off topic but i was practicing using roll on NiM DG last night to avoid the aoe from lightning surge. i was in cover, 1 second left on lightning surge i panned the camera back, hit my CE key but ended up rolling in place. my camera shook but stayed where it was while i did the roll animation. it "looked like" i got teleported back to where i started. also the guy near me took a big chunk of damage whereas i took none. most likely a bug... no w+spacebar+CE, just plain pan camera and then roll. could be lag/internet issue (the ping in this new place constantly jumps from 40 to 180 to 300 then back to 40 again). interesting...
Republic < Intrepid > The Harbinger slinger sage vanguard dps
swtorboard.org dps blog.class guides.end-game stuff
16 man | 8 man DPS leaderboards | Galactic Starfighter Records

paowee
07.25.2013 , 01:31 AM | #252
Quote: Originally Posted by Whojoo View Post
Thx paowee for your post, some really helpful information
I've been hitting the dummy alot yesterday and I noticed something about the following.

You can count ambush as a single GCD in the rotation if you use SoS after the 2 GCDs since it hits instantly instead of snipe which has to charge.
(Example: Snipe -> Ambush -> GCD -> SoS)
I know I asked a question about this too, but I have been torturing a dummy for a while after the question and got this conclusion
Oh yeah i forgot to add that xD. Since SoS "instantly" refreshes 3 stacks of ER anyways, you can afford to let it ER fall as long as Series of Shots is next in your rotation.

Also edited the post in the previous page to include what you said.

Whojoo
07.25.2013 , 05:23 AM | #253
Quote: Originally Posted by paowee View Post
Oh yeah i forgot to add that xD. Since SoS "instantly" refreshes 3 stacks of ER anyways, you can afford to let it ER fall as long as Series of Shots is next in your rotation.

Also edited the post in the previous page to include what you said.
That's great about it, ER doesn't fall.
In the situation of 'SoS -> GCD -> Ambush -> Snipe' ER would fall because ambush take 2.5s to charge AND Sniper takes 1.5s to load.

In the situation of 'Snipe -> GCD -> Ambush -> SoS' ER doesn't fall because SoS hits instantly, it doesn't have to charge like Snipe does
The Red Eclipse
Republic Enforcers Imperia

namesaretough
07.25.2013 , 07:08 AM | #254
Anyway a bit off topic but i was practicing using roll on NiM DG last night to avoid the aoe from lightning surge. i was in cover, 1 second left on lightning surge i panned the camera back, hit my CE key but ended up rolling in place. my camera shook but stayed where it was while i did the roll animation. it "looked like" i got teleported back to where i started. also the guy near me took a big chunk of damage whereas i took none. most likely a bug... no w+spacebar+CE, just plain pan camera and then roll. could be lag/internet issue (the ping in this new place constantly jumps from 40 to 180 to 300 then back to 40 again). interesting...
This happens on the lightning phase to me sometimes, too. It seems to happen most often when I roll with <.4s before the cast. I'll roll in place and have to walk my way back to the rest of the group. As long as I roll before .4 it works normally for me. There is a lot of lag in that particular phase on 16m though, so I had chalked it up to that.

Also, as far as I can tell as long as you "resist" the lightening damage through your roll, the field you create spawns at the location you rolled from. If you roll early it ends up where you do and hits you. That would explain the person standing on you taking a lot of damage.

paowee
07.25.2013 , 10:17 AM | #255
Quote: Originally Posted by namesaretough View Post
This happens on the lightning phase to me sometimes, too. It seems to happen most often when I roll with <.4s before the cast. I'll roll in place and have to walk my way back to the rest of the group. As long as I roll before .4 it works normally for me. There is a lot of lag in that particular phase on 16m though, so I had chalked it up to that.

Also, as far as I can tell as long as you "resist" the lightening damage through your roll, the field you create spawns at the location you rolled from. If you roll early it ends up where you do and hits you. That would explain the person standing on you taking a lot of damage.
Interesting. Hmm oh well.. it's not game breaking. It sucks for anyone standing near me though. 16-man positioning for lightning surge sucks for me because they put us snipers at the very back (or entrance rather) of the room (boss out of range). 3 snipers on that first row, 4 ~merc DPS on the row on top of us, 4 ish healers above them, and 5 people around the vicinity of the bosses scattered on the left and right side of the room.

i would stand at the very edge 35m from the b oss and when surge pops i roll back to the entrance; doing this makes the 2nd row susceptible to more lightning surge damage because of our proximity with the 4 ~merc DPS. After the first lightning surge though we just burn DPS and kill the boss before the 2nd lightning surge ticks.

EDIT: Great question from Darth_Caedes and added it on the first page.

namesaretough
07.25.2013 , 05:17 PM | #256
Interesting. Hmm oh well.. it's not game breaking. It sucks for anyone standing near me though. 16-man positioning for lightning surge sucks for me because they put us snipers at the very back (or entrance rather) of the room (boss out of range). 3 snipers on that first row, 4 ~merc DPS on the row on top of us, 4 ish healers above them, and 5 people around the vicinity of the bosses scattered on the left and right side of the room.

i would stand at the very edge 35m from the b oss and when surge pops i roll back to the entrance; doing this makes the 2nd row susceptible to more lightning surge damage because of our proximity with the 4 ~merc DPS. After the first lightning surge though we just burn DPS and kill the boss before the 2nd lightning surge ticks.
You can stack any snipers that can roll every time with sorcs who are going to bubble to save some space, but yea, positioning gets a bit hairy.

paowee
07.25.2013 , 05:31 PM | #257
Quote: Originally Posted by namesaretough View Post
You can stack any snipers that can roll every time with sorcs who are going to bubble to save some space, but yea, positioning gets a bit hairy.
Hah who would've thought. If we have 2 sorcs and 3 snipers, we can all stack in one corner and use bubble and roll (at the right time) and basically give the entire room to the other 11 people. Thanks evryday! Now to see if the officers will try this. The lightning surge phase is not that big of a problem though. We did down the the boss but running 16 for the first time last night, the major issue was red puddles being dropped in not so favorable areas.

paowee
07.26.2013 , 09:51 PM | #258
Our first try at 16-m NiM Operator last night:

I've been running 36/3/7 the whole night and then decided to try out Engineering...

Engineering worked for me this time around because i was assigned to mid. This means my AoE can hit multiple targets, and more importantly, i'm not DPSing a bugged mechanic, the Data Cores, whose huge reticles take no damage from AoE abilities 80% of the time.

As expected the first phase of the fight was tough because I can't reliably get all 5 bombs to hit the small adds (although this is somewhat offset by the fact that 2 adds come out at a time). Also i was assigned to sit on mid for my color which means no rolling throghout the entirety of my phase. Phase 2 comes and this is where Engineering shines. Covered Escape drops 5 bombs throughout the entire width of the boss and multiple mobs with high hp are just waiting to eat ticks of your 30% surge'd Orbital Strike. In other words: numerous opportunities for your numerous AoEs to hit numerous targets.

Let's look at torparse... Going against
1 FenrÓr Gunslinger Prophecy of the Five US Severity Gaming 2612.11 DPS
fenrir i hope this is a recent NiM log lol if not i'll just delete it >_<<3!

Wearing a full set of 72 Underworld gear
Full Engineering AoE Sniper
2698 DPS http://www.torparse.com/a/356084/10/0/Damage+Dealt

Note: parse is incomplete due to death from proximity to a failed deletion.
Spoiler
The guild killed Operator with ~250-300K HP left but Engineering was able to do enough total damage done to still end up on top at the end of the fight.

EDIT: See follow-up below.

paowee
07.27.2013 , 01:42 AM | #259
CAUTION: You run the risk of rolling into a wrong color and killing yourself just before black obtuse pops. Take your time if you must and scoot over to the right spot each time you roll to be safe. Aim your camera carefully because the margin for error as far as positioning is literally less than a quarter of an inch. I'm more familiar with the metric system so I would say... around ~3 mm which is the distance between my avatar and the circle's perimeter in this picture

>>> http://i.imgur.com/Mf3l8El.jpg <<<

The safe spots are the wedges in between the circles. You want to aim your camera so you hit the same wedge directly opposite from where you are (you can probably roll slightly sideways but not too much).

>>> safe spots <<<

diadox
07.27.2013 , 09:18 AM | #260
I'd like to add a few things to the Electrified Railgun discussion.

First off, it is actually possible to do SoS --> Ambush --> GCD --> Snipe (or GCD --> Ambush; the order of the two doesn't matter) without ER falling off: http://www.torparse.com/a/353688/2/0/Log, assuming there is no animation disparity between Snipe and Charged Burst messing things up. You can see in the log that Blazing Speed (Electrified Railgun) never fades from the dummy, and that I don't miss out on a Speed Shot tick by clipping it too soon. This is using the 7/36/3 build, i.e zero alacrity. It's not hard to do per se (queue the ablities properly and the game basically does everything else for you) but any lag or other ability delay will make the dot fall off. It's not doable with anything longer than GCD + Ambush, so neither SoS --> GCD --> GCD --> GCD --> Snipe or SoS --> GCD --> Orbital --> Snipe works.

Another thing I'd like to add is that there are situations where it'd be better to not follow the ER applicator --> GCDx2 --> ER applicator rotation. Let's say - after a SoS - you have one filler skill off cooldown (dots fully expired counting as off cooldown), and several more coming off cooldown in just a few seconds. What you can do here is GCD --> Snipe --> GCDx3 --> SoS, because like Whojoo says, the first Electrified Railgun application done by SoS is front loaded as opposed to backloaded like it is on Snipe. What this lets you do is refresh more dots without clipping them, keep up ER 100%, not delay anything more than necessary, and use SoS on cooldown. In this situation, using the standard ER rotation would force you to give up something(s) of the above.

Lastly (and this is something I'm still experimenting with, but I like it so far): I've recently started speccing into Stroke of Genious / Pandemonium. Making Snipe front loaded when I want it to be allows me to to do GCDx3 even when my next ER applicator will be Snipe rather than SoS, which in turn occatinally allows me to use skills closer to on cooldown. What I'm giving up for this is 1/2 or 2/2 in Calculated Pursuit / Hot Pursuit. I liked the Pursuit talent back in pre-2.0 (when the ICD on it also was broken ), but now I feel like it gets messed up too much since rolling also drops you back into cover. 2/2 in the talent basically has it blocked by rolling on cooldown, and 1/2 can occationally give you the buff when needed, but it's an RNG ridden mess with a benefit that isn't even that awesome. I like the control Stroke of Genious offers both for occational stationary rotation improvement and for mobility purposes. If this means the Calculated Pursuit buff won't disappear when entering cover, though, I'll prolly give up on Stroke of Genious.
Rhuarc

The Red Eclipse