Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Consolidated Post: APAC/Oceanic Server Concerns

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Consolidated Post: APAC/Oceanic Server Concerns
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

CrazyMcGee
07.25.2013 , 09:22 PM | #5891
Quote: Originally Posted by Tork View Post
Just got that as well. Quit playing a few weeks ago though, APAC server was dead and the US lag blows.
Sub cancelled.

Thanks for the memories SWToR. I did have a great time playing and loved the character stories and companions.
I'm not really having problems with the lag. Like it could be better to give a smoother playing experience, but it is definitely not stopping me doing ops or PVP.

WizardsDestiny
07.26.2013 , 12:03 AM | #5892
Just got that as well. Quit playing a few weeks ago though, APAC server was dead and the US lag blows.
Sub cancelled.

Thanks for the memories SWToR. I did have a great time playing and loved the character stories and companions.
To be honest with you, I've noticed a tiny- if any- difference in lag. Just popped the graphics town a tiny bit to the point it's unnoticeable but my gameplay is just as good, if not better, than what I had on Dalborra.
There is only Power, and those too weak to seek it.

CrazyMcGee
07.26.2013 , 01:33 AM | #5893
Quote: Originally Posted by WizardsDestiny View Post
To be honest with you, I've noticed a tiny- if any- difference in lag. Just popped the graphics town a tiny bit to the point it's unnoticeable but my gameplay is just as good, if not better, than what I had on Dalborra.
Plus being on a highly populated server is pretty cool. Even for small stuff like you've got six instances of Gree right now, so WBs will be up somewhere all the time.

And for doing heroics and that kind of thing... even just for seeing more general chat on planets. And yeah, ok, some of it is pretty frightening, but mostly it's pretty awesome actually talking to people. I mean, it is an MMO after all.

Honestly, the server move has not been as bad as we all feared.

Tork
07.26.2013 , 03:17 AM | #5894
Quote: Originally Posted by WizardsDestiny View Post
You are confusing FPS with lag.
Lag comes from the extra distance the network requests must travel. So we went from a 40millisecond ping time up to 400-500ms ping time. That translates to seeing actions process slower as the action must go to the US and then back to your computer. Changing your graphics won't help that, nothing can apart from having the servers physically closer to you.
If US customers had to put up with 500ms ping to the servers there would be big trouble.
Intel 3930k, Gigabyte G1.Assassin.2, 16GB RAM @ 2133MHZ, OCZ Vertex 4 240GB SSD, 2 x Gigabyte GTX 670 2GB SLi, 3 x Dell U2412 monitors in portrait surround for 3880x1920 bezel adjusted resolution, 2 x 500GB HD Raid 0 for storage

OwenBrooks
07.26.2013 , 03:44 AM | #5895
I get 180ms to Harbinger from Brisbane

Girdeux
07.26.2013 , 04:53 AM | #5896
You are confusing FPS with lag.
Lag comes from the extra distance the network requests must travel. So we went from a 40millisecond ping time up to 400-500ms ping time. That translates to seeing actions process slower as the action must go to the US and then back to your computer. Changing your graphics won't help that, nothing can apart from having the servers physically closer to you.
If US customers had to put up with 500ms ping to the servers there would be big trouble.
400-500 ping???? I only went up 100 ping to 150. I dont even notice the difference.

OwenBrooks
07.26.2013 , 05:25 AM | #5897
Quote: Originally Posted by Girdeux View Post
400-500 ping???? I only went up 100 ping to 150. I dont even notice the difference.
He maybe with TPG or Optus and just affected by the "cough" issues with overseas stuff recently, some issues I have seen is directly within their networks and some is elsewhere , like AAPT transits on peering or maybe his exchange simply has congestion, could be a lot of reasons for 500ms ping time i'm afraid.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum...t=2096337&p=42 <-- optus
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum...t=2101708&p=17 <-- tpg

Zandilar
07.26.2013 , 06:08 AM | #5898
Well, they're trying to persuade us hold outs to move...

What do they mean by CA servers?

I'm holding out because I have too many characters to transfer on a one by one basis. I want them all on the same server and am unwilling to delete older characters on Harbinger.
Zandilar, an Australian, IN SPAAAAAAAACCCCEEEEE!!
Too many characters, most of them Chiss.

CrazyMcGee
07.26.2013 , 06:42 AM | #5899
CA servers might mean California? Or a typo for North American?

EricMusco
07.26.2013 , 08:55 AM | #5900 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Hey folks,

Just to clear up any confusion from the email yesterday, the consolidations are going to happen on August 13th as listed, which is quite a bit more than one week away. That actually gives you approximately three weeks before the consolidations happen.

Just to reiterate, the consolidation will happen in approximately three weeks on August 13th. Sorry for the confusion, thanks everyone!

-eric
Eric Musco | Community Manager
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]