'No active subscription' error

StephenReid

Some of you have seen a ‘no active subscription’ error on your account while attempting to login to play today. As mentioned yesterday, as of 6AM CST this morning and the completion of our maintenance period, in order to continue playing Star Wars: The Old Republic you will need to have completed the following steps:

1) Create an account on SWTOR.com (if you have not already done so)

2) Within the 'My Account' section:

• Complete your contact information
  • Add between three and five security questions on your account
  • Redeem an official Game Product Registration Code (not a pre-order code; see below)
  • Optional: register a Physical or Mobile Security Key to your account

If you have issues completing any of these steps, please contact Customer Service via support@swtor.com for assistance.

When you have completed all of these steps you will be 'ready to play' and your account page will reflect that.

We appreciate that Star Wars: The Old Republic may be your first experience with a subscription based MMO. Adding a valid payment method to continue to play is standard practice for subscription based MMOs, and this requirement is mentioned on our retail packaging, as well as in our official FAQs. We apologize if you were surprised by the requirement, and for any interruption to your gameplay.

Valid payment methods vary by country, but include major credit cards plus Paypal and bank transfer (in some countries). A full list of available payment methods is in our FAQ. You are also able to pay with a pre-paid Game Time Card, available in major retailers, and also digitally via Origin.com.

Regardless of which payment method you choose, you will not be charged for a continuing subscription before your free game time has expired. If you have any questions about the process, please read the FAQ.

We understand some people have seen what appear to be charges on their debit cards or via their bank since they entered their payment method. Please be assured these are not 'advance charges' but are in fact temporary authorization charges, which is standard practice for many banks. These charges will be refunded to you, usually within a few days. However, you should ensure you have sufficient funds for these charges to allow you to continue playing.

Thanks for your understanding and patience!

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Out of interest sake, why would it matter if a person had a subscription set up or not if they have game time already on their account?

The 1 month game time was paid for when the game was purchased. How does it work that access is removed to game-time that is already on a persons account for any reason, let alone because they havn't set up a payment method for the next period?

Edited by Greylor

This almost seems like a breach of contract.

Personally I had already planned to commit to a subscription beyond the play time which COMES WITH PURCHASE of the game. But for some I know, they wanted to kick the tires before making that long term commitment.

But if Bioware does not let you use the game during the 30 days following purchase until you sign up for a longer term commitment, do they also PUT ON HOLD the 30 day clock for the time which comes with the purchase?

Don't get me wrong, I love the game. But this is not a good way to conduct business.

Edited by Killravenn

This almost seems like a breach of contract.

Personally I had already planned to commit to a subscription beyond the play time which COMES WITH PURCHASE of the game. But for some I know, they wanted to kick the tires before making that long term commitment.

But if Bioware does not let you use the game during the 30 days following purchase until you sign up for a longer term commitment, do they also PUT ON HOLD the 30 day clock for the time which comes with the purchase?

Don't get me wrong, I love the game. But this is not a good way to conduct business.

It's an industry standard. Find me a paid online service that doesn't require you to enter a valid credit card to use their service regardless if you have free time or not.

The only people this really effects is people without credit cards. Maybe no one if game cards can be refunded, not sure on that one. You won't get charged on your credit card until the next month though.

It's an industry standard. Find me a paid online service that doesn't require you to enter a valid credit card to use their service regardless if you have free time or not.

The only people this really effects is people without credit cards. Maybe no one if game cards can be refunded, not sure on that one. You won't get charged on your credit card until the next month though.

Agreed, it is very much standard. And if you don't have a credit card, you can always use paypal instead, which does not require a credit card.

In addition on the front of the box, and on the back it says "Valid Credit Card or Paid game Card (if Available), Internet Connection and Paid Subscription Required to play game. 30 day subscription included with Purchase."

What this means is you still need a Valid Credit Card or Paid Game Card to play the game but the Paid Subscription for the first month was included.

Regardless of which payment method you choose, you will not be charged for a continuing subscription before your free game time has expired. If you have any questions about the process, please read the FAQ.

Bioware cites the play time tied to the purchase of the game as being "free". Seems that is not the case. Unless they redefined the meaning of "free" while I was not looking. And do you lose 1-5 days of the "free" time between game registration and complying with the strings attached?

Bioware cites the play time tied to the purchase of the game as being "free". Seems that is not the case. Unless they redefined the meaning of "free" while I was not looking. And do you lose 1-5 days of the "free" time between game registration and complying with the strings attached?

What? It's free. I haven't been charged anything, that would make it free. See my previous posts about the requirements and industry standards.

30 day subscription included with Purchase.

It's not "included" if you can't use it without further commitment.

The "free" period can be accounted for on the play clock just like any 30 day play card you might have purchased. But you get the first one WITH the game. It might be "standard" practice to get a credit card, but they also allow you to play month by month via play cards which do not require a credit card.

So you can get your 30 days "free" by buying a 30 day play card and adding it to the account? Still seems like it's not truly and legally free.

It's not "included" if you can't use it without further commitment.

The "free" period can be accounted for on the play clock just like any 30 day play card you might have purchased. But you get the first one WITH the game. It might be "standard" practice to get a credit card, but they also allow you to play month by month via play cards which do not require a credit card.

So you can get your 30 days "free" by buying a 30 day play card and adding it to the account? Still seems like it's not truly and legally free.

It is included because you're not being charge for your time. Your 30 day play card isn't charged until your 30 free days are used up and you're not required to use a game card at all. As I said this is all on the packaging and it's normal practice for online services and games alike.

It is included because you're not being charge for your time. Your 30 day play card isn't charged until your 30 free days are used up and you're not required to use a game card at all. As I said this is all on the packaging and it's normal practice for online services and games alike.

So I can get a refund on the 30 day play card if I decide I don't want to play the game past the "free" 30 days?

Their own statement says the 30 days is "included with purchase". That is false if you require any further financial obligations, whether immediate or potential. Period.

I've already signed up for 6 month recurring billing. But this is and should still be a matter of principal. Not just for Bioware but for any company, gaming or otherwise.

So I can get a refund on the 30 day play card if I decide I don't want to play the game past the "free" 30 days?

Their own statement says the 30 days is "included with purchase". That is false if you require any further financial obligations, whether immediate or potential. Period.

I've already signed up for 6 month recurring billing. But this is and should still be a matter of principal. Not just for Bioware but for any company, gaming or otherwise.

That I'm not sure of, you'll probably have to take it up with whomever you bought it from. It'll still be a 30 day game card if you unsubscribe though. You were given other options rather than paying for a game card.

I already told you why your assertion that the 30 free days is false is wrong. You get a 30 day free subscription. Requiring a valid credit card or Game Time Card is a completely separate issue.

Stephen,

What do we do if we entered our retail code several days ago, and after last night's maintanance, that code no longer shows up, and can not be reapplied, like my girlfriend's account?

Customer service (after several hours of waiting) could confirm that there was a code that was applied to her account, but the account page no longer shows the code, and will not allow subscription since the previous step is no longer showing as complete..

Customer service basically told us "nothing we can do, watch the forums and twitter"

Please help.

Edited by Crixt

I've been through BETA, through EGA, and through all the anti-SWTOR bullcrap that's been going on here and I stood up for my beloved KOTOR3 as much as I could, but sadly today, for the very first time I've been extremely frustrated with SWTOR...

I took these days off like thousands of us to play SWTOR, I woke up at around 10am and was waiting until 12pm for the servers to be up to find out that I needed a subscription - MY FAULT though, I should have read everything better but i had spent the previous day battling with Origin's awful service trying to get my game code, I even made this thread about it in an attempt to help others:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=68622

It wasn't easy getting my game code! As you can see like other people that posted on my thread, the game code didn't always appear, I think this is probably related to EA merging with Origin or whatever they are doing. And I did not get any email from Origin -.-

After that, knowing that I needed another subscription, I went to my bank to top up a paypal account that I had just created to purchase the 1 month subscription with 13€, and when I finally get the money on my paypal account and I try to make the subscription, I'm requested for a credit card, which I don't have...so I had to wait about more 5 hours until my brother got home so he could give me his credit card info so I could finally subscribe...

And finally I'm in...at 2am (GMT), 14 hours later lol, but yeah, I'm tired, and I'm still angry about not being able to play today and having only 28 free days left...but oh well...SWTOR here we go again.

It was damn worth it, this is an experience of a lifetime, not just for a Star Wars fan, but for everything, the Old Republic era that was created, the eternal battle between good and bad, just everything, no matter what anti-SWTOR'ers say, I will be playing this for years. (when everyone was on WoW, I was on Ultima Online, so you get the point)

Origin failed miserably, EA (...), PayPal (...), but BioWare unlike many people have been saying, BioWare was God damn flawless in everything they did since BETA to this day, I honestly congratulate BioWare for what can possibly be the best game ever made.

Edited by NeoDio

Okay, I get it, and I have locked horns with the *company* for it, but I have found, when you have an issue that cannot be resolved customer service is worthless. Simply activate your subscription through Origin.com and you will be cleared. It worked for me.

SWTOR is a good game, despite its failures (absolute character customization, etc.), but this is how you get through the subscription issue.

done

In addition on the front of the box, and on the back it says "Valid Credit Card or Paid game Card (if Available), Internet Connection and Paid Subscription Required to play game. 30 day subscription included with Purchase."

What this means is you still need a Valid Credit Card or Paid Game Card to play the game but the Paid Subscription for the first month was included.

No dude you are all wrong and i repeat DEAD WRONg on that one. It states "Valid Credit Card or Paid game Card (if Available) <--- this is clearly saying that it is not needed to play in the beginning. The 30 days within itself once the game is paid for is just enough. I have been playing MMOs for a very long time and no other company has asked for this information until the 30 days are upon me.

No dude you are all wrong and i repeat DEAD WRONg on that one. It states "Valid Credit Card or Paid game Card (if Available) <--- this is clearly saying that it is not needed to play in the beginning. The 30 days within itself once the game is paid for is just enough. I have been playing MMOs for a very long time and no other company has asked for this information until the 30 days are upon me.

That's not BioWare like, that's probably EA wanting to even monetize the game more forcing us to get a subscription for no valid reason.

Are you talking about the (if Available) that means if Paid Game Cards are available. I'm not sure how you can say I'm dead wrong about something that's at the top of the page here though and everyone is complaining about.

If you've never been asked for this information until the 30 days are upon you you must never have played WoW, or gotten free trials for netflix, or blockbuster or pretty much any other subscription based internet product.

I already told you why your assertion that the 30 free days is false is wrong. You get a 30 day free subscription. Requiring a valid credit card or Game Time Card is a completely separate issue.

Requiring a Game Time Card is applying an additional financial expense beyond the purchase of the game. How can that be considered free?

Unless you're a legal expert, then it sounds like differing opinions of interpretation by laymen. I can assert you are wrong, you can do the reverse. Nothing is proven. But I think my argument holds substantial water.

Hotels often require that you give them a credit card to hold a room. But in that case you have not yet paid for any product or service. It serves as proof you have the ability to pay and in turn they hold the room. You even still have the option to cancel the reseration with no obligation 24 hours before the arrival date.

Here people have paid for a product - the game - which comes with a promise of 30 days of use. Putting barriers in the way of exercising options associated with a purchase already made is wrong.

Another example would be a fitness center which offers me free use of the VIP spa with my 30 day trial membership. But they charge $5 at the door for each entry into the "restricted" area.

Last time I checked, living in the real world requires having some sort of payment options besides cash. This is an MMO with an expectation that you PAY every month to play. They made it VERY clear and VERY easy to setup your payment options so you can continue playing without interuption. You truly have to be living under a rock to be "shocked" that some sort of payment was required. If you didn't even plan on playing for more than a month you prob shouldn't have bought the game.

Grow up a bit and put on your big boy pants....

Requiring a Game Time Card is applying an additional financial expense beyond the purchase of the game. How can that be considered free?

Because you still get 30 days free

Unless you're a legal expert, then it sounds like differing opinions of interpretation by laymen. I can assert you are wrong, you can do the reverse. Nothing is proven. But I think my argument holds substantial water.

I'm not a legal expert but it's clear as day on the box and it's at the top of the page and I'm pretty sure it's in the FAQs.

Hotels often require that you give them a credit card to hold a room. But in that case you have not yet paid for any product or service. It serves as proof you have the ability to pay and in turn they hold the room. You even still have the option to cancel the reseration with no obligation 24 hours before the arrival date.

This is the same thing you're giving your credit card to hold your service. They're not going to charge you until your 30 days are up but they need that card to keep moving. It's just a part of their setup. They could remove the option to use game time cards and then everyone would be happy...except the people that don't have credit cards because they wouldn't be able to play at all.

Here people have paid for a product - the game - which comes with a promise of 30 days of use. Putting barriers in the way of exercising options associated with a purchase already made is wrong.

Another example would be a fitness center which offers me free use of the VIP spa with my 30 day trial membership. But they charge $5 at the door for each entry into the "restricted" area.

It's nothing like that at all.