Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Chosen one: Luke, or anakin?

Rhyltran
12.21.2011 , 12:23 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Nole_Man View Post
Anakin proved the idiocy in the Jedi way of thinking. For all their wisdom, not one of the Council members stopped to say, 'hey, has anyone noticed the balance is WAY in our favor? There are thousands of us, we basically do what we want, and there might be like one Sith guy somewhere, maybe. Why would we want to make it even??'

but no. And the rest is history.
The Jedi weren't out of balance. Read Lucas' quote.

BrandonSM
12.21.2011 , 08:54 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Rhyltran View Post
No. A lot of people say that but there's no quote stating it. George Lucas has gone on record to say that the Sith throw balance out of whack. A rumor went around for awhile that I, admittedly, believed in which Lucas stated the Dark Side is a cancer in the force. People sourced Bill Moyers and the Mythology of Star Wars. Niarcromon brought it to my attention that this isn't true. I went on to watch it myself and nowhere does Lucas state that. So it seems the only thing that throws it out of balance is the Sith themselves which makes sense considering the various dark side cults don't attempt to conquer the galaxy and pretty much do their own thing on their own worlds.

I could be wrong on this but I've never seen an actual source where Lucas states outright that the Dark Side itself is imbalanced.
Hmm. I guess your right, I too havent seen a source, but it seemed so believable. Considering lots believed it and, it seems like someting Lucas would say. Well, Niacromon brought it to you, and now you bring it to me. I see.
Hapan: "This creature has information that could lead us to a woman who has been kidnapped. We will get that information."
Luke: "This woman is a citizen of the New Republic, and if you do not take your hands off her, I will take your hands off you."

Smithie
12.21.2011 , 10:06 PM | #23
well the answer would have to be both.....right?

One could say that Luke is part of the "prophecy". Another piece of the chain of events that set Anakin/Vader in motion to for fill the "prophecy". Also Luke = Anakin, as father and son they are really mostly the same. The force is strong in both.

If Luke wasn't around, who would pull Vader back to the light side? Who would convince Vader to kill Sidious to end the Sith, if not his son being slowly killed by Sidious force lightning.
Sure Vader might of been able to kill Sidious on his own accord but for very different reasons. One most likely to take his place and become emperor.

I'm surprised Vader never tried(?) or did it sooner. As we know the whole reason why Anakin turned to the dark side was to save Padme. Once Vader realised the empror wasnt going to do that, why stay his apprentice.
The only reason i've read on these forums is that in his current form as Vader he was to weak to take on the Emperor by himself.

I would like to think they both as father and son brought balance to the force and the galaxy. Sounds like something George Lucas would plan/like.
"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens"

<Afterdark> -> Tomb of Freedon Nadd-EU
My youtube : http://www.youtube.com/SmithianKingdom

Rhyltran
12.21.2011 , 10:51 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Smithie View Post
well the answer would have to be both.....right?

One could say that Luke is part of the "prophecy". Another piece of the chain of events that set Anakin/Vader in motion to for fill the "prophecy". Also Luke = Anakin, as father and son they are really mostly the same. The force is strong in both.

If Luke wasn't around, who would pull Vader back to the light side? Who would convince Vader to kill Sidious to end the Sith, if not his son being slowly killed by Sidious force lightning.
Sure Vader might of been able to kill Sidious on his own accord but for very different reasons. One most likely to take his place and become emperor.

I'm surprised Vader never tried(?) or did it sooner. As we know the whole reason why Anakin turned to the dark side was to save Padme. Once Vader realised the empror wasnt going to do that, why stay his apprentice.
The only reason i've read on these forums is that in his current form as Vader he was to weak to take on the Emperor by himself.

I would like to think they both as father and son brought balance to the force and the galaxy. Sounds like something George Lucas would plan/like.
He stayed his apprentice because he was broken. He had nothing left to live for. The bigger question is why didn't he off himself? My guess is because he couldn't bring himself to do that either. He didn't care enough. Vader has said the thing that he hates the most is himself. Still, he did try to overthrow Sidious a few times. One with Galen Marek and then later by trying to turn Luke Skywalker. Other than that he simply didn't have the will and wasn't powerful enough to kill Sidious.

I believe at that point Vader only cared about serving the dark side of the force.

Psienesis
12.22.2011 , 06:31 PM | #25
Lucas' own viewpoints regarding what the Force is and is not has changed several times since the first film, mostly in accordance with his own beliefs and philosophical viewpoints. In the 70s, New Age mysticism and Eastern philosophies, like Buddhism and the Tao, were very popular, and so Lucas' presentations of the Force and the Jedi were greatly colored by that. As time went on, religion and philosophy began to take a back seat to science and reason, and this, in turn, changed the way the Force and the Jedi were presented. This is how we went from the Force being "...what gives a Jedi his power. It's an energy field created by all living things. It surrounds us, penetrates us, and binds the galaxy together" to a genetic condition (midi-chlorians).

Depends on which era of the SW universe you want to focus on as to which version of the Force you're dealing with. When it comes to questions of "canon"... well, there's an entire schema of what is and is not "canon", but almost all of it with a SW label falls somewhere in the canon.

Megachusen
12.22.2011 , 07:09 PM | #26
I'm surprised that no one here subscribes to the "Unifying Force". The fact that the force doesn't take sides should be apparent if you look at the entire cannon as a whole.

I would even make the argument that Luke was between "alignments" much the same as Jolee Bindo and Qui-Gon.

Ragzus
12.22.2011 , 07:44 PM | #27
Anakin not only destroyed the sith lord who'd evaded the jedi for years while meeting them face to face, he was powerful, He also had luke and leia with his wife bringing more balance.

Luke is a good jedi like his father but he's not his father.

tXHereticXt
12.22.2011 , 11:36 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Grayer View Post
I'm stuck on this question: Is Anakin the chosen one just because eveyone said he was, or is Luke, because he saved the galaxy?
It's subjective. Without Anakin there would be no Luke.

DjDangle
12.23.2011 , 03:33 AM | #29
Balance refers to an equal "balance" of light and dark, not one or the other. I'm positive that was in one of the episodes of Clone wars series when Anakin met the ancient force wielders.

Rhyltran
12.23.2011 , 04:02 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Psienesis View Post
Lucas' own viewpoints regarding what the Force is and is not has changed several times since the first film, mostly in accordance with his own beliefs and philosophical viewpoints. In the 70s, New Age mysticism and Eastern philosophies, like Buddhism and the Tao, were very popular, and so Lucas' presentations of the Force and the Jedi were greatly colored by that. As time went on, religion and philosophy began to take a back seat to science and reason, and this, in turn, changed the way the Force and the Jedi were presented. This is how we went from the Force being "...what gives a Jedi his power. It's an energy field created by all living things. It surrounds us, penetrates us, and binds the galaxy together" to a genetic condition (midi-chlorians).

Depends on which era of the SW universe you want to focus on as to which version of the Force you're dealing with. When it comes to questions of "canon"... well, there's an entire schema of what is and is not "canon", but almost all of it with a SW label falls somewhere in the canon.
Midichlorians aren't the force. It doesn't explain the force at all. The more midichlorians you have the easier it is to feel the force. It isn't the force. Midichlorians cannot exist without the force. The force is beyond them.