Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

'No active subscription' error

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
'No active subscription' error

StephenReid
12.22.2011 , 06:31 PM | #1
Some of you have seen a ‘no active subscription’ error on your account while attempting to login to play today. As mentioned yesterday, as of 6AM CST this morning and the completion of our maintenance period, in order to continue playing Star Wars: The Old Republic you will need to have completed the following steps:

1) Create an account on SWTOR.com (if you have not already done so)

2) Within the 'My Account' section:
  • Complete your contact information
  • Add between three and five security questions on your account
  • Redeem an official Game Product Registration Code (not a pre-order code; see below)
  • Optional: register a Physical or Mobile Security Key to your account
If you have issues completing any of these steps, please contact Customer Service via support@swtor.com for assistance.

When you have completed all of these steps you will be 'ready to play' and your account page will reflect that.

We appreciate that Star Wars: The Old Republic may be your first experience with a subscription based MMO. Adding a valid payment method to continue to play is standard practice for subscription based MMOs, and this requirement is mentioned on our retail packaging, as well as in our official FAQs. We apologize if you were surprised by the requirement, and for any interruption to your gameplay.

Valid payment methods vary by country, but include major credit cards plus Paypal and bank transfer (in some countries). A full list of available payment methods is in our FAQ. You are also able to pay with a pre-paid Game Time Card, available in major retailers, and also digitally via Origin.com.

Regardless of which payment method you choose, you will not be charged for a continuing subscription before your free game time has expired. If you have any questions about the process, please read the FAQ.

We understand some people have seen what appear to be charges on their debit cards or via their bank since they entered their payment method. Please be assured these are not 'advance charges' but are in fact temporary authorization charges, which is standard practice for many banks. These charges will be refunded to you, usually within a few days. However, you should ensure you have sufficient funds for these charges to allow you to continue playing.

Thanks for your understanding and patience!

Greylor
12.22.2011 , 07:02 PM | #2
Out of interest sake, why would it matter if a person had a subscription set up or not if they have game time already on their account?

The 1 month game time was paid for when the game was purchased. How does it work that access is removed to game-time that is already on a persons account for any reason, let alone because they havn't set up a payment method for the next period?

Jerichoisbro
12.22.2011 , 07:03 PM | #3
I am also getting a problem stating ''No response from server'' This is my first time trying to log into the game and I had a message telling me ''The Log in service is not available'' And now ''No response from server''... I just want to play

Killravenn
12.22.2011 , 07:11 PM | #4
This almost seems like a breach of contract.

Personally I had already planned to commit to a subscription beyond the play time which COMES WITH PURCHASE of the game. But for some I know, they wanted to kick the tires before making that long term commitment.

But if Bioware does not let you use the game during the 30 days following purchase until you sign up for a longer term commitment, do they also PUT ON HOLD the 30 day clock for the time which comes with the purchase?

Don't get me wrong, I love the game. But this is not a good way to conduct business.
Omega Matrix
Dual Faction Guild
http://omegamatrix.enjin.com/

Dasffion
12.22.2011 , 07:15 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Killravenn View Post
This almost seems like a breach of contract.

Personally I had already planned to commit to a subscription beyond the play time which COMES WITH PURCHASE of the game. But for some I know, they wanted to kick the tires before making that long term commitment.

But if Bioware does not let you use the game during the 30 days following purchase until you sign up for a longer term commitment, do they also PUT ON HOLD the 30 day clock for the time which comes with the purchase?

Don't get me wrong, I love the game. But this is not a good way to conduct business.
It's an industry standard. Find me a paid online service that doesn't require you to enter a valid credit card to use their service regardless if you have free time or not.

The only people this really effects is people without credit cards. Maybe no one if game cards can be refunded, not sure on that one. You won't get charged on your credit card until the next month though.

deathomight
12.22.2011 , 07:19 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Dasffion View Post
It's an industry standard. Find me a paid online service that doesn't require you to enter a valid credit card to use their service regardless if you have free time or not.

The only people this really effects is people without credit cards. Maybe no one if game cards can be refunded, not sure on that one. You won't get charged on your credit card until the next month though.
Agreed, it is very much standard. And if you don't have a credit card, you can always use paypal instead, which does not require a credit card.

Dasffion
12.22.2011 , 07:22 PM | #7
In addition on the front of the box, and on the back it says "Valid Credit Card or Paid game Card (if Available), Internet Connection and Paid Subscription Required to play game. 30 day subscription included with Purchase."

What this means is you still need a Valid Credit Card or Paid Game Card to play the game but the Paid Subscription for the first month was included.

Killravenn
12.22.2011 , 07:23 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by StephenReid View Post

Regardless of which payment method you choose, you will not be charged for a continuing subscription before your free game time has expired. If you have any questions about the process, please read the FAQ.

Bioware cites the play time tied to the purchase of the game as being "free". Seems that is not the case. Unless they redefined the meaning of "free" while I was not looking. And do you lose 1-5 days of the "free" time between game registration and complying with the strings attached?
Omega Matrix
Dual Faction Guild

Dasffion
12.22.2011 , 07:25 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Killravenn View Post
Bioware cites the play time tied to the purchase of the game as being "free". Seems that is not the case. Unless they redefined the meaning of "free" while I was not looking. And do you lose 1-5 days of the "free" time between game registration and complying with the strings attached?
What? It's free. I haven't been charged anything, that would make it free. See my previous posts about the requirements and industry standards.

Killravenn
12.22.2011 , 07:28 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Dasffion View Post
30 day subscription included with Purchase.
It's not "included" if you can't use it without further commitment.

The "free" period can be accounted for on the play clock just like any 30 day play card you might have purchased. But you get the first one WITH the game. It might be "standard" practice to get a credit card, but they also allow you to play month by month via play cards which do not require a credit card.

So you can get your 30 days "free" by buying a 30 day play card and adding it to the account? Still seems like it's not truly and legally free.
Omega Matrix
Dual Faction Guild