Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Confused and dissatisfied about crafing

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Confused and dissatisfied about crafing

AnjyBelle
07.18.2013 , 03:24 PM | #21
Just to clarify: I never suspected you to do this reprehensible cartel item / GTM business

Anything else I understand and do it just about the same way. My pause from the game of almost one year hits here.
Seven millions is an amount, which I can imagine to achieve during the next weeks. And "seven millions" sounds somewhat tangible in contrast to "millions", which awakened indeed the imagination of these odd numbers which are on the rumour market (hundreds of millions, billions....etc.).

foxmob
07.18.2013 , 04:44 PM | #22
Dear OP,

I fully empathize with your plight, and I think you have a legitimate grievance. However, there is no chance in hell that BW is going to diminish the appeal of their Cartel Market items. Crafting professions have become nothing more than augment and augment kit factories. Every successive patch has diminished the usefulness of crafting professions, especially when crafting for one's own stable of toons.
__________________________________________________ _______________________________________

Dear BioWare,

Every successive patch has diminished the usefulness of crafting professions, particularly the gear professions (Armormech and Synthweaving). First, was the introduction of expensive legacy gear, which made all of the reverse engineered armorings that I took from green to purple and made them absolutely useless. Then there was the introduction of augments, which was a double "nerf" because it prevented crit crafted augment slots from housing high end augments. Thus, even after grinding out all the mats and failed crits, when a crafter finally crits an orange shell, he STILL has to pay 30k just to put an augment into the thing. Thus, the crit crafted shell is WORTHLESS. Now, in PvP, you've introduced a bolster system that makes changing out the freshest mods/gear superfluous or irrelevant. The previously EXPENSIVE legacy gear is now less than a quarter of the price through reputation vendors, and EVERYONE who owns the expansion pack has access to the makeb gear because it's VIRTUALLY IMPOSSIBLE NOT TO MAXIMIZE REP WHEN YOU LEVEL 49-55 ON MAKEB!

I realize many of these changes are irreversible. One thing I do think you can do, however, is to make crit crafted augment slots the MAXIMUM rank slot (currently mk-9). You really have taken all of the fun away from crafting gear and made it into a simple, boring means of stockpiling in-game credits. Crafters should not have to PAY to augment gear that they crit crafted in the first place. Also, the only available crafting patterns from underworld trading are gloves. When I crit crafted those gloves, I was shocked to find that the augment slot WASN'T EVEN MK-9. wow. really? Lastly, why shouldn't I be able to reverse engineer the orange gear that I crafted (seems to be an issue with RotHC schematics)? They require the same basic mats as any other similarly tiered schematic. Shouldn't I be able to disassemble them and get some mats back for my loss on the items that do not crit an augment slot? Thank you for not listening to me. I appreciate the ways in which you ignore your user base. I look forward to not being listened to in the future.
Quote: Originally Posted by Zoom_VI View Post
dealing over 50% of a target's health in a single GCD is just insipid in terms of quality of gaming experience.

NOTACTICS
07.18.2013 , 05:28 PM | #23
Alot of it comes down to the time and effort it requires to gather mats and craft stuff more so than the credits really.
You really need a strong concentrated efforts to keep your gather and crafting skill high to be useful for you or your companion for leveling.You would basically have to stay on the flett at level 10 and soley gather and craft for a good few days solid to get your levels far enough ahead to keep level appropriate gear available. Time will depend on how much cash you get from alts ofcourse, if your doing this on first char it would take ages as you would have to sell some back on GTN To recycle credits back. You level so fast you need to keep the craft levels continuly ahead of your player level. Most players just have not got the will or time to do that. You also need to factor in the low 20% RE chance aswell meaning its hard work getting to a purple version that by the time you do the player level has past the item level so ist no longer of much use to you.

With so much loot about in general solo play and quest rewards let alone flashpoints players will 9 times out of 10 take the easy option and forget about crafting and just upgarde as you go along with the loot you and just craft
ad-hoc here and there as a means to a end just to get to 450. Crafted armours and weapons simply do not have a high enough stat advatage over loot gear to make them worthwhile for the time and credits you have to you into it.

Two of the main factors that have hurt standard arms and armour crafting recently are

1:-The large avaibility of Cartel market based Adapative armour packs and with the chance of adding to a collection to get it free in the furture more players are willing to spend their coins. Especially if they are a sub more and more will get an adpative gear set they like these days from the market. There is therefore less of a need for standard armour gear.

2:- The Un-Binding or planatary comms that used to be tied to each planet means its basically more worthwhile going for comm rewards rather than standard gear and building them up to upgrade your adpative gear than it used to be. Going adpative now makes more sense than going that standrd route, espcially if you have a Cybertech or artifice crafting to craft alongside for your armourings mods or enhancments hilts.

Armourtech and Synchweathing are basically just a drain on resources and of little benefit during leveling until you get to 450 and you finally get some pay back by selling the MK-7,8,9 Kits. The other crafts are only better for leveling beacuse they can craft all the different types of mods or implants and earpeices, which don't drop as often in loot. Most of teh time you will not have enough comms to the near 100 limit gathered per planet starting from 0 to fully upgrade all your kit at the end so need to buy some of them which keeps this trade going.

My Suggestions for helping crafting.

1:- Start all Schematics from the trainer as Blue straight from the off (Or atleast more blues givnen by the trainer) and also have a few custom ones thrown in aswell.

2:- RE experience gain factor. The more you succesfully RE the better you percentage chance in the future, rather than this fixed percentage you get. Lets make it rewarding for the player that does put some effort in. Small increses to your percentage chance over time.

3:- Mission times for the Gathering skills early on in particular need to come down. I reckon repeating the same gather or crew mission with the same companion should bring its time down since the companion has done that before and should know how to improve effiecency next time doing the same thing. Why can't you actively effect the somewhat static efficency and critical rating of the crew member more, not just through doing repeating tasks but by gathering knowelge and skill sets through experience of doing that that task. Maye there should be items you can buy from vendors that will improve a certain gather skills, for exmaple geology field kits for your scavenging or biology equpment for your Biochem craft. Yes I know effection does a improve things a little the effect is so slow and gradual it makes little difference while leveling.

4- As a side issue to make standard gear a bit more in demand and hence help crafters of it.
Only have general non-binding armour and arms drops on a few random elites and champions in Heroic and flashpoint arae's. I find the amount you get simply from silvers in solo arae's silly, I would just have random comms drops for elites in standard solo area's and silvers just give credits.. With the maybe the odd excpetion when you get two golds gaurding a tresasure box for example or teh odd lonesome champion you see in solo area's. Then just improve the different options you have on the BOP quest reward selection.

This will reduce the supply of standard gear and hence increase demand making crafted stuff that little more in demand... Most Players although going full on moddable for themselves will still go standard for their compaions( as you cann never get all those comms in time for both of you) so there will still be some demand for good sandard gear here. May be a Argumentative one but buying adpative armour from cartel markets makes them BOP so cant be sold 2nd hand on GTN after the 36 Hour timer, this will reduce adaptive numbers on GTN.

You could also consider the alternate approach of getting rid of all standard gear and making everything adpative in the game. It would require quiet a few chnaces to all carfting schematic available, changing all the vendors gear incresing comms limits and quest rewards etc... The question is would it help crafting in long run if all they were carfting was adpative shells, not so sure.

Ryenke
07.18.2013 , 06:10 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by AnjyBelle View Post
It would be interresting to know, WHEN you or someone else made these "millions".

Thus, the only regular income from crafting comes at the moment from the mentioned augement-stuff. Certainly a safe way to make credits, but a very limited, too. Only rentable with really high level stuff (augment slot 9), all the things below run - if at all - for small money.
Millions literally in 2 weeks (granted the two weeks were during double XP weekends and that helped some). 15 to 20 million. Biochem - the lowest level blue implants (lvl 19 I think). Of course you have to get the schematics, and you have to be willing to farm genetic anomaly (that's a nightmare) because the recipes call for 6 of the darn things. I have 7 schematics for these implants - and sold 40 to 50 blue implants a day at a nice price, but kept it low enough that lower level players could afford them.

I gave it up because it is too much work to farm those genetic anomaly mats.

Find a niche like that one, and you CAN make millions - right now.

AnjyBelle
07.19.2013 , 12:06 AM | #25
Some minutes ago I checked GTM for my artificer. I thought, there might be something to do for her, because the enhancements are so numerous and beside the augments the other - and cheaper - chance to fine-tune every character.

I checked for blue quality. As we all know, GTM shows, too, the qualities above. Thus, I got 181 pages from lowest possible level up to 55, mixed with blue and purple qualities.

On page 54 the first offer was higher than 10k! Surprisingly lots of highest level of both qualities were offered below 10k!

I just wonder, if people who dump their stuff for these ridiculous prices are capable to do basic arithmetic operations.

Dominoris
07.19.2013 , 09:13 AM | #26
That's just simple supply and demand. 181 pages is a big supply. That means the average price will be low; sometimes even lower than the cost of materials.

Narrow your search. Find something that is more in demand. Supply that demand. Profit!
Clones are people two.

psandak
07.19.2013 , 10:11 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by AnjyBelle View Post
Some minutes ago I checked GTM for my artificer. I thought, there might be something to do for her, because the enhancements are so numerous and beside the augments the other - and cheaper - chance to fine-tune every character.

I checked for blue quality. As we all know, GTM shows, too, the qualities above. Thus, I got 181 pages from lowest possible level up to 55, mixed with blue and purple qualities.

On page 54 the first offer was higher than 10k! Surprisingly lots of highest level of both qualities were offered below 10k!

I just wonder, if people who dump their stuff for these ridiculous prices are capable to do basic arithmetic operations.
I agree that there are many who sell themselves short when it comes to GTM posting. But chances are yes, they are simply dumping their stock trying to get something back for their effort.

That being said, are you doing the math right? As I do a LOT of blue quality item modifications sales, I know that they all cost significantly less than 10k to make. Factor in crits and even 8k is still profitable. That being said, in my head I have set a minimum value I will sell item modifications for that is around 10k. If the value of a given item is less than that I simply hold on to my stock until the market rebounds...and it always does...eventually. I also have a buy and re-post value set in my head. If I KNOW (for 100% certainty) that an item will sell at a more "normal" price, I will buy it and re-post and still profit. I have no problem giving my competition their paltry sum of credits since I make more .

AnjyBelle
07.19.2013 , 12:33 PM | #28
Well, to buy and resell might work, if there are just a few "cheap ones", but certainly not over more than 50 GTM pages.
I guess it's ok, when I say that the market is - at least partially - broken in regard of high level stuff, except the augments.

Isn't this always the sign that there are ways too many players reached the highest level "endgame" and far too few moving up? In other words: We have a player community with a mass centre of founders and their alts, but not enough new players joining the game. Right?