Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

the pvp arenas looks...pretty great

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
the pvp arenas looks...pretty great
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Sandros
07.19.2013 , 08:08 AM | #11
Agreed, they look pretty nice. Do we have any information yet on a ladder system/rewards for arenas? Or is this just a novelty type of thing right now? Either way, will be fun times.

TUXs
07.19.2013 , 08:09 AM | #12
Did you actually look beyond just the pretty colors? Those boxes have LoS written all over them - the garage looks like some Halo bunker designed for a FPS game, not a game that has 3-second casted abilities that break when LoS is broken. They'll be melee dominated maps. If you're a Sage, Commando or a Sniper, stick to WZ's.
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force

My referral code: here (what you get here)

astrobearx
07.19.2013 , 08:13 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
Did you actually look beyond just the pretty colors? Those boxes have LoS written all over them - the garage looks like some Halo bunker designed for a FPS game, not a game that has 3-second casted abilities that break when LoS is broken. They'll be melee dominated maps. If you're a Sage, Commando or a Sniper, stick to WZ's.
well the pretty colors is all to go on now hence the "pvp arenas LOOKS...pretty great" not "the arenas gameplay is pretty great"
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Moonshadow View Post
Because Bioware won't let my have the Jewel of the Dark Side, which would amplify my powers and allow me to take control of the galaxy in my bid for a tyrannical dictatorship.
Poo-doo.

TUXs
07.19.2013 , 08:15 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by astrobearx View Post
well the pretty colors is all to go on now hence the "pvp arenas LOOKS...pretty great" not "the arenas gameplay is pretty great"
I can accept that
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force

My referral code: here (what you get here)

ImpactHound
07.19.2013 , 08:17 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Tsillah View Post

On topic again: Personally I am interested in how the 4 vs 4 fights will work as far as the dynamics of it and if there will be a ranking system for premade teams.
I'll give you a hint, it involves stuns, the healer, and a not-working resolve bar.

AlexModny
07.19.2013 , 08:31 AM | #16 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Quote: Originally Posted by Lionflash View Post
I dig 'em. I wonder if they will have voice overs... I hope they do. I know there isn't really an objective but it would be nice to give these arenas a bit of context. This is a story driven game after all.
Good news! Baron Deathmark will be making a return to announce all the brutal Warzone Arena action
Alex Modny | Assistant Designer
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.] [Dev Tracker]

Tsillah
07.19.2013 , 08:31 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by ImpactHound View Post
I'll give you a hint, it involves stuns, the healer, and a not-working resolve bar.
lol, well sadly that's part of any MMO PvP as far as I've experienced, but that exists in the current warzones that are 8 vs 8. I would think there would be some differences, but time will tell.
Et In Gehenna Vixi...

AlexModny
07.19.2013 , 08:44 AM | #18 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
In such a small, intimate area, LoS and other geometry concerns are valid, but I can assure you that we are adjusting the LoS blockers and general terrain on these on a daily basis to make sure we get them juuuuust right for all parties involved, not just melee and ranged DPS. Sometimes there is just too much LoS for the healers and they can't get off their support abilities because their friendly targets are weaving their way through all the blockers. Point being, it is a balancing act and we are iterating on it every day!

I'm writing up a blog post today (it won't be posted until next week or possibly the week after, gotta translate it and get the big bosses to rubber stamp it) to explain in more detail these Warzone Arenas and our methodology in balancing them. Really looking forward to yall getting your hands on them asap! The feedback from players that have played them already has been overwhelmingly positive!

Cheers!
Alex Modny | Assistant Designer
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.] [Dev Tracker]

ObiJuanShenobi
07.19.2013 , 08:47 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by astrobearx View Post
http://dulfy.net/2013/07/19/swtor-ta...ts-are-coming/

now just add a new 8v8 map and more pvp type dallies and 2.4 would be gold imo
I'm excited for this

I'm very interested to see how BW handles arena. if we ever get Geonosis or Mandalore as a planet, how awesome would it be to fight in their arenas?
The Lightstrider Legacy

Darth Crucious I Darth Imperius I Master Darkstrider I Master Liam Lightstrider I Captain Evie Lightstrider I Agent Morran Lightstrider I Major Tanken I Nikro, Hired Gun

astrobearx
07.19.2013 , 08:50 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by ObiJuanShenobi View Post
I'm excited for this

I'm very interested to see how BW handles arena. if we ever get Geonosis or Mandalore as a planet, how awesome would it be to fight in their arenas?
well if i were to based on experience on WoW, then arenas are awesome. the only downside is the fact arenas led to heavy class nerfs
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Moonshadow View Post
Because Bioware won't let my have the Jewel of the Dark Side, which would amplify my powers and allow me to take control of the galaxy in my bid for a tyrannical dictatorship.
Poo-doo.